I met a modern Leatherman-type woman today...

justamjustam Posts: 21,408
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
She's a woman that walks all around the busy streets in my part of town with a metal grocery cart full of dirty pillows and a blanket in a plastic bag. She has matted hair and very raggity, re-stitched, repaired clothes. She must sleep in the park at night because she's always on the move during the day so that she's not loitering anywhere.

I happened to have a trunk full of clothes for goodwill today so when I saw her on a quiet street I stopped to ask her if she wanted some of the clothes. She smiled and VERY POLITELY told me that "No, there's a woman that always gives me clothes when I need them." She didn't seem crazy or uneducated. It was interesting. :shock:

I was surprised that she said she didn't need clothes because the pants she was wearing were so full of patches. :|

What kind of stuff do you think she'd find useful for her type of life style? I started thinking about it when I got home. Maybe a flashlight or an umbrella or a rain poncho?

If anyone has ideas about this, let me know. I'd like to give her something she can use.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Maybe some type of tarp to keep her stuff dry in the rain??

I don't know, I'm kind of jaded right now. I gave a guy money last week on the subway, he said he needed it for bus fare of something, so I gave it to him. Two hours later, I was walking down the street and this same man asked me for a different amount of money, then he realized and said, Oh I already got you.

Got me is right, pissed me the f off.

Makes you not want to help anyone.

End rant.

Sorry AM, it's nice what you're doing.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    maybe if you see her on the way to the store ask her "Hey, I was going to the market, can I get you anything?"

Some people are 'too proud' to take handouts, but rather than an offer of money/material items, they may be more receptive to an offer of food...'food warms the stomach and the heart'. :D
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Pure and easy, it's always like that with beggers but she doesn't beg.

I look at it this way. There are people who make a living as beggers (and in Tampa these people have corners they "work") and I avoid those people usually.

However, I never see her asking for anything. She's always just walking up and down the roads with her grocery cart. She doesn't have the look of a drug addict or alcoholic either. Her features don't have that distinctive alteration they get.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    RKCNDY wrote:
    maybe if you see her on the way to the store ask her "Hey, I was going to the market, can I get you anything?"

Some people are 'too proud' to take handouts, but rather than an offer of money/material items, they may be more receptive to an offer of food...'food warms the stomach and the heart'. :D

Maybe I should keep some non-perishable food in my car for the times I see her?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    perhaps what she'd like is a good conversation. i'm sure there's time where she could use someone to talk with, even if it's just about the small things.
    perhaps what she'd like is a good conversation. i'm sure there's time where she could use someone to talk with, even if it's just about the small things.

That's thoughtful! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    justam wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Maybe I should keep some non-perishable food in my car for the times I see her?

good idea! If I'm asked for money from a 'person in need' I try to offer them food, the ones that take it, I will try to give some money to, since they truly need the money. Others just want money for their next 'fix'.

Ask RYEzupSF, she works with homeless people (more so the ones that are addicts) but she'd be a good resource for ideas. I believe she gives out gift cards to places.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Maybe a gift card to a grocery store? :idea:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    justam wrote:
    cans of fruit cocktail and a can opener
    &
    hygiene products are way awesome

justam, this is very thoughtful of you
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Your story reminded me of a number of years ago I did goodwill at Christmas in Edinburgh.There was a well known old homeless guy who was always around,never begged,never asked for anything.

I offered him blankets,clothing etc but he refused it all.I sat with him and he told me his story,he was a Polish POW,after the war he and his wife came to Scotland.They had a house but she died soon after they arrived,he was so traumatised by the war,his time in the camps and the loss of his wife so soon after they were free,he couldn't stay in his house so he walked the streets and slept in the graveyards around the city.

All he asked me for was a cup of tea,which I got him and some food,as RKCNDY said food will always help.

The saddest and sickest thing was a number of years later he was asleep on the streets when a group of drunks set fire to him,he was in hospital for weeks but died of his injuries,I cannot fathom the levels of human sickness and intolerance in the few when there are always so many more people out there wanting to help.

Many of the homeless in Edinburgh aren't always addicts,but what they have is serious mental health issues that stop them from being able to live in a house.

I'd suggest dried foods and a hot meal drink would go down best for this lady and talking to her is so important.

Justam,your kindness,time and words will add to her day :D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    Well chadwick, I haven't done anything praiseworthy yet because she didn't want the clothes! :(

I think food and survival gear of some type is probably the way to go to be helpful.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    justam wrote:

That's a really good idea. :)

This is a wonderful thing of you to go out and do, justam. We're all on the same team in this world and we should be able to rely on each other when we need help.

PureAndEasy, I know hwo you feel... same thing has happened to me before. But don't give up on helping people.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Your story reminded me of a number of years ago I did goodwill at Christmas in Edinburgh.There was a well known old homeless guy who was always around,never begged,never asked for anything.

I offered him blankets,clothing etc but he refused it all.I sat with him and he told me his story,he was a Polish POW,after the war he and his wife came to Scotland.They had a house but she died soon after they arrived,he was so traumatised by the war,his time in the camps and the loss of his wife so soon after they were free,he couldn't stay in his house so he walked the streets and slept in the graveyards around the city.

All he asked me for was a cup of tea,which I got him and some food,as RKCNDY said food will always help.

The saddest and sickest thing was a number of years later he was asleep on the streets when a group of drunks set fire to him,he was in hospital for weeks but died of his injuries,I cannot fathom the levels of human sickness and intolerance in the few when there are always so many more people out there wanting to help.

Many of the homeless in Edinburgh aren't always addicts,but what they have is serious mental health issues that stop them from being able to live in a house.

I'd suggest dried foods and a hot meal drink would go down best for this lady and talking to her is so important.

That's an interesting story. Thanks for sharing that.

Food and drinks.
    Since this is Florida, maybe bottled water too?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    edited October 2011
    justam wrote:
    Well chadwick, I haven't done anything praiseworthy yet because she didn't want the clothes! :(

I think food and survival gear of some type is probably the way to go to be helpful.

Does it get cold in Tampa in the wintertime? Maybe some items preparing for the colder season of the year could be helpful?

A sleeping bag
    some heavy, and cleaner blankets
    gloves
    scarfs
    beanies (snowcaps, whatever you want to call them)

Hell, just some fresh bedding would probably feel wonderful.

What about a fresh pair of shoes? I once randomly met a really nice drifter at a coffee shop. We hung out in the park for a bit, I listened to him strum a banjo and I shared a joint with him. We talked for hours about life and experiences. I asked him questions about his way of life as he says he chose it after having a major event happen that made him want to pursue different things. Basically, he began following his heart. He told me that shoes are one of the most important items a drifter, or homeless person can have.

Shoes are everything, he said.

Some new, clean socks would probably be a really nice gift too.
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    justam wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

That's an interesting story. Thanks for sharing that.

Food and drinks.
    Since this is Florida, maybe bottled water too?

I'm sure some jugs of clean water or a case of bottled water would go a long way for her. :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    stargirl69 wrote:

that is some story. makes a guy teary eyed.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • I too have an acquaintance like that. And I give her books I've read and have no desire to keep, from time to time. I once gave her a MagLite so she could read the books and scare away the black men at night, as she calls them.
    And yes a simple conversation too, might be equally beneficial. I know it is to me.
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
    Hairy Dane wrote:
    I too have an acquaintance like that. And I give her books I've read and have no desire to keep, from time to time. I once gave her a MagLite so she could read the books and scare away the black men at night, as she calls them.
    And yes a simple conversation too, might be equally beneficial. I know it is to me.

Good ideas.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Hairy Dane wrote:
    I too have an acquaintance like that. And I give her books I've read and have no desire to keep, from time to time. I once gave her a MagLite so she could read the books and scare away the black men at night, as she calls them.

Sometimes the best thing is just knowing that someone will take the time to sit down and talk to you and get to know you because they realize you're a person who needs human interaction just like the rest of us.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    justam wrote:
    Hairy Dane wrote:

Good ideas.

Agree :)
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    I have to go cook dinner now but I'll come back and see if there are more suggestions later. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    a chalkboard...the standard large ones in a classroom. 3 sets of bras. 4 dozen boiled eggs. 1 case of tuna. mayo packets. bread. pens and stationary. crayons and coloring books. pencils with a sharpener. a mouse for a computer. chia seeds - wonderful stuff for promoting health. and a puppy or lizard... no probably not as they need food too.

a stuffed toy animal... yaaaayyy :clap:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I really like the suggestions about just talking with her and bringing her some water and food. It must get very lonely out there.

I also like the idea of the gift card and/or keeping some canned goods in your car for when you see her. The can opener is an amazing thing too. So small, yet so helpful.

I hope she accepts the items you decide to give her. If anything, I think make her feel special just because you care. This is so awesome of you, justam. :thumbup:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,718
    She sounds friendly. Maybe just start with an occasional conversation- you'll know soon enough if she wants company or not. Then, if you get to know her a little better, you'll know what her needs are. It's nice of you to be looking out for her. Very thoughtful!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    stargirl69 wrote:

This story just made me cry. :(
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,944
    You know, from my own experience being on the street for a short time (not by direct choice, but as a consequence of living) something very humbling that happened to me was this. I had just finished up shaving in someones car mirror. I must have been watched while doing this , because as I was repacking my shaving gear this cup of starbucks appears in my line of vision. The woman giving it to me simply stated " I thought you might like this." Now being what I am (addict/alcoholic) This small gesture of humanity said to me that I was a human being that was valued. Not the piece of shit I felt like. Chokes me up to think about it these 6 years later.

Just get to know her. You'll find out soon enough how she'll let you help her.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    You know, from my own experience being on the street for a short time (not by direct choice, but as a consequence of living) something very humbling that happened to me was this. I had just finished up shaving in someones car mirror. I must have been watched while doing this , because as I was repacking my shaving gear this cup of starbucks appears in my line of vision. The woman giving it to me simply stated " I thought you might like this." Now being what I am (addict/alcoholic) This small gesture of humanity said to me that I was a human being that was valued. Not the piece of shit I felt like. Chokes me up to think about it these 6 years later.

Just get to know her. You'll find out soon enough how she'll let you help her.

Thanks for sharing this story mickeyrat.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&