Options

Phil Collins....PJ's best drummer?

DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
edited November 2008 in The Porch
Some guy posted this over at the ultimate-guitar forums, as fact.

The hour was getting late. Eddie, Stone, Jeff and Mike were out back shooting hoops completley unaware of the trouble brewing in the studio.

Brendon O'Brian and Dave A were recording the drum track for Rearviewmirror.

Brendon was riding Dave really hard in order to get a very agressive drum take; as per the order of the songs writer: Eddie Vedder.

Dave A was trying his hardest to make his producer and Lead Singer proud. However he just couldn't get the drum track right.

Brendon was getting really fustrated with Dave A and a loud argument ensued.

To both Dave A and Brendon O'Brien's surprize...Phil Collins, successful solo artist and famous singer/ drummer for the band Genesis was next door in the other studio recording another in a series of horrifcally mediocre solo albums that he had become known for at this particular stage of his career.

Phil Collins while meditating, heard the comotion going on in the next studio.

Pounded loudly on the wall and shouted

"YOU GUYS ARE WRECKING MY VIBE"!!

Out of respect to Phil Collins, Brendon and Dave decided to calm down and give the drum track another go.

But...Dave once again blew the track and once again an argument ensued

Brendon started being a real dickhead and warned Dave A that if he didn't get the drums right on this next take that "Perhaps they would have to get Phil Collins to come in and drum on this track"

This smart ass comment really pissed Dave A off and the drummer charged Brendon and the 2 men got into a violent scuffle.

Phil Collins fed up that his meditation was being ruined, burst into the studio and broke up the fight.

Dave A. got up, pushed Phil Collins aside, and then stormed out of the studio crying and went home.

Brendon was fustrated.

Time was becoming a major issue and he desperately needed the drum track to be completed and mixed.

But of course, without a drummer...this was going to be very difficult.

Brendon out of complete desperation pleaded for Phil Collins to get behind the kit and complete the ending of the song.

Phil refused at first but soon conceded upon the enticing promise of the world famous "Brendon O' Brien Neck Massage".

Phil got behind the drums and Brendon went into the control room to record Phil.

The track was going better than expected when all of sudden, just as Phil was finishing up...Eddie walked into the control room.

Eddie was furious

Eddie: "BRENDON, WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON HERE"??
"WHERE THE HELL IS DAVE A, AND WHO THE **** IS THIS BALD GUY"?

Brendon: "Eddie, I'm sorry Dave couldn't hack it, so we got Phil Collins to..."

Eddie: "PHIL ****ING COLLINS"??? "PHIL ****ING COLLINS...BRENDON"??

Eddie then stormed into the studio and pointed his finger at Phil Collins...

Phil scared shitless, threw his drum sticks against the wall and ran from the studio.

Amazingly enough, upon playback of the recorded Phil Collins drum track, the band was shockingly satisfied with the track and deemed it to be "Total Pro" as well as "the finest drum take of the session".

The track despite the drum sticks thrown against the wall was called "a keeper" and so the Phill Collins drum take actually ended up on the Vs. Album.

Neither Phil Collin's or Dave A were ever told of this.

Ever since Dave A's departure from the band, it has been a running joke between Brendon O' Brien and the remaining members of Pearl Jam that when a drum track is not going as planned that they all share a hardy laugh over the comment:

"Where is Phil ****ing Collins When You Need Him"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Look at Gonzo1977's post in this thread: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=308271
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    Phil fucking Collins can drum his ass off!
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    DewieCox wrote:
    Some guy posted this over at the ultimate-guitar forums, as fact.

Whoa!!!
    What???

I've never been to the ultimate-guitar forums in my life.

I posted this on someone's thread about Rearviewmirror.

That post was supposed to be a joke.

Ye Gods!!
    Please do not take that post serious.

I'd hate for a song as awesome as "Rearviewmirror" to be tarnished by the complete lameness that is Phil Collins.
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    I'd hate for a song as awesome as "Rearviewmirror" to be tarnished by the complete lameness that is Phil Collins.
    I was kinda hoping it was true actually, you do Phil a disservice using such deprecating language. Haven't you heard But Seriously ?
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    I was kinda hoping it was true actually, you do Phil a disservice using such deprecating language. Haven't you heard But Seriously ?

Unfortunately yes.
    Although I must confess...that very song helped me get over my fear of clowns.
  • Options
    this is an awesome post, seems legit too ;)
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    I saw Phil Collins at the L.A. Zoo once.
    He was looking at giraffes.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums..........Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums..........Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds.

Is this the part where I get killed?
  • Options
    "You should pay attention, because we are talking to Phil Collins' people.
    But then again... aren't we all"?
  • Options
    i don't know what the fuck you guys are talking about..Phil is a very talented musician!
  • Options
    And who could forget his acting in the 1988 film "Buster"?

WOW!!

21st Century film has gravely overlooked the acting genius of one:

PHIL FUCKING COLLINS
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    And who could forget his acting in the 1988 film "Buster"?

WOW!!

21st Century film has gravely overlooked the acting genius of one:

PHIL FUCKING COLLINS

don't forget his Emmy winning performance on Miami Vice.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Phil can really bring it on the drums....seriously. The later Genesis albums were way too pop-oriented for me....but, they were an awesome band through "Three Sides Live"....which is actually more of Chester Thompson on the kit than Phil.

Don't forget his Oscar for Disney's Tarzan. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options

this is really freaky....that movie is pretty fucked up....good call though!

anyways, i read the begining of this thread this morning before spending the work day underwater, and before gonzo joined it and cleared it up. so, thinking this was a true story, i thought about how crazy it was on all three of my dives today. when i came home tonight to find out that it was fake and had all started as a joke i was almost a little disapointed. i like the part where ed just pointed at phil and phil ran away....
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club...
  • Options
    don't forget his Emmy winning performance on Miami Vice.

That was awesome!!

The 80's were like one big playground for Phil Collins