Gibson ES-135

gimpy_boy89gimpy_boy89 Posts: 64
edited October 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Has anyone ever played one of these? In my mind it's a sleeper. Discontinued and widely available for cheap, but man is it ever a joy to play. It also looks kinda cool too.

es135.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Definite sleeper, kinda reminds me of a 175 but thinner.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Definite sleeper, kinda reminds me of a 175 but thinner.

I just measured her, and she's 2 1/4" thick. I don't know what the 175's dimensions are though.
    Definite sleeper, kinda reminds me of a 175 but thinner.

I just measured her, and she's 2 1/4" thick. I don't know what the 175's dimensions are though.
    I think they're acoustic like in depth.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I think they're acoustic like in depth.

Ah, looks like you're right. I had the privilege to tour the Memphis factory where they made/make the 135/175, it was a religious experience.
    I think they're acoustic like in depth.

Ah, looks like you're right. I had the privilege to tour the Memphis factory where they made/make the 135/175, it was a religious experience.
    I'll have to do if I'm ever in that part of the world!
  • I own a 125 from 1952. It was my Grandpas. Never new he even played guitar until after he passed.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    I own a 125 from 1952. It was my Grandpas. Never new he even played guitar until after he passed.
    That's awesome! I own my Great grandfathers 52 175, beautiful.
  • You guys are both lucky, my most "vintage" guitar is my '02 ES-135.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    One of my personal favorites is the ES-125 TDC which is a bit thinner.

The 135 is a great guitar, depending on what you play you might have some issues with feedback cranked, but that can be a pleasurable thing too. I think it's a fantastic guitar. Never go wrong with a hollowbody and P90's.

One of the best things, is you just want to play it all the time, no amp, no problem. basically the perfect, songwriting, living room guitars.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    One of my personal favorites is the ES-125 TDC which is a bit thinner.

The 135 is a great guitar, depending on what you play you might have some issues with feedback cranked, but that can be a pleasurable thing too. I think it's a fantastic guitar. Never go wrong with a hollowbody and P90's.

One of the best things, is you just want to play it all the time, no amp, no problem. basically the perfect, songwriting, living room guitars.

It's a great tone machine for mellow blues/jazz stuff and even some borderline aggressive music, but certainly too feedbackey for stuff with more gain. That's fine though, my first thought when I look at a hollowbody isn't searing gain and thrash metal.

As for being a great songwriting, living room pick-up-and-play guitar, you've got that absolutely right.