amish ganstas

normnorm Posts: 31,146
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
hair styling crimes committed by Mullets :P

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/10/justice/a ... ?hpt=hp_t2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Anytime you get two guys with the last name Mullet together with a guy named Levi, something bad is going to happen.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    By the way, Levi & The Mullets would make a great band name.
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    keep an eye on that beard Stoltzfus. :ugeek:
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I CAN NOT GET ENOUGH OF THIS STORY. These dudes are OAG- Original Amish Gangsta.

Makes me proud to be from Ohio.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,716
    Groan.... I'm only half-Amish so I guess I can only feel half-bad, but my roots to that dying culture feel bruised. :(
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Huh? :( Ohhhh...! :| ... oh, ok...HEE HEE!... :lol:

Good old weird and crazy Al!!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,687
    norm wrote:
    hair styling crimes committed by Mullets :P

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/10/justice/a ... ?hpt=hp_t2

:lol::lol:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    "Amish-on-Amish violence is extremely rare," Kraybill said. "This is very odd and clearly outlier behavior, an aberration in Amish society."

:lol:
    i don't know why but that has me crying laughing
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    conman wrote:
    "Amish-on-Amish violence is extremely rare," Kraybill said. "This is very odd and clearly outlier behavior, an aberration in Amish society."

Amish on Amish violence....

:lol::lol:
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    By the way, Levi & The Mullets would make a great band name.

lol... that and Johnny Mullet and the Bishops.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    conman wrote:

if this wasn't on cnn i would've sworn that it was an onion story :lol:
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    amishgangstas.jpg
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
    norm wrote:
    conman wrote:

if this wasn't on cnn i would've sworn that it was an onion story :lol:

Well, it wouldn't be the first time that a major news outlet reported an Onion story as truth...

The Onion taken seriously

Upon occasion, the straight-faced manner in which The Onion reports non-existent happenings has resulted in third parties mistakenly citing The Onion stories as real news.

In 1998, Fred Phelps posted The Onion article "'98 Homosexual-Recruitment Drive Nearing Goal" on his "God Hates Fags" website as "proof" that gay people were indeed actively trying to "recruit" others.

On June 7, 2002, Reuters reported that the Beijing Evening News republished, in the international news page of its June 3 edition, translated portions of the article "Congress Threatens To Leave D.C. Unless New Capitol Is Built". The story discusses the U.S. Congress's threats to leave Washington for Memphis, Tennessee; Charlotte, North Carolina; or even Toronto, Canada unless Washington, D.C. built them a new Capitol building with a retractable dome. The article is a parody of U.S. sports franchises' threats to leave their home city unless new stadiums are built for them. Evening News initially stood by the story, demanding proof of its falsehood. It later retracted the article, responding that "some small American newspapers frequently fabricate offbeat news to trick people into noticing them with the aim of making money."

In late March 2004, Deborah Norville of MSNBC presented as genuine an article titled "Study: 58 Percent Of U.S. Exercise Televised".

In 2006, the Danish television station TV 2 posted a story on the gossip section of its website that took seriously The Onion article titled "Sean Penn Demands To Know What Asshole Took <!-- e --><a href="mailto:SeanPenn@gmail.com">SeanPenn@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->"

An article on Harry Potter inciting children to practice witchcraft was the subject of a widely forwarded email which repeated the quotes attributed to children in the article. Columnist Ellen Makkai and others who believe the Harry Potter books "recruit" children to Satanism have also been taken in by the article, using quotes from it to support their claims.

In September 2009, two Bangladeshi newspapers, The Daily Manab Zamin and The New Nation, published stories translated from The Onion claiming Neil Armstrong had held a news conference claiming the moon landing was an elaborate hoax. Neither realized The Onion was not a genuine news site. Both of the newspapers apologized to their readers for not checking the story.

In October 2009, the Russian news site Russia.ru repackaged clips from The Onion video piece "New Anti-Smoking Ad Warns Teens 'It's Gay to Smoke'" as legitimate news.

In February 2010, among others the online newspapers Il Corriere della Sera (Italy) and Adresseavisen (Norway) repackaged clips from The Onion video piece "Denmark Introduces Harrowing New Tourism Ads Directed By Lars Von Trier" as legitimate news.

In June 2010, the soccer website Sofoot.com (France) mistook for real news the article "Nation's Soccer Fan Becoming Insufferable", picked up the story and translated it partially on their own website under the title "La solitude du supporter ricain" ("The Yankee supporter's loneliness"). The article even ends with a kind word for the fake fan, telling him to be brave and to hang on.

In November 2010, The Fox Nation website, a part of the Fox News network, mistook The Onion's article about President Barack Obama writing a 75,000 word e-mail complaining about America as a genuine report.

In April 2011, the New York Times took an article that was several years old seriously. The article talks about President Obama on the cover of the magazine Tiger Beat with an image of the magazine inside.

The blog Literally Unbelievable (started 2011) showcases posts from Facebook users who take various Onion articles seriously.

In September 2011, United States Capitol Police investigated reports coming from The Onion's Twitter account claiming that US congressmen were holding twelve children hostage.

• tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    edited October 2011
    Well, it wouldn't be the first time that a major news outlet reported an Onion story as truth...

The Onion taken seriously

Upon occasion, the straight-faced manner in which The Onion reports non-existent happenings has resulted in third parties mistakenly citing The Onion stories as real news.

In 1998, Fred Phelps posted The Onion article "'98 Homosexual-Recruitment Drive Nearing Goal" on his "God Hates Fags" website as "proof" that gay people were indeed actively trying to "recruit" others.

On June 7, 2002, Reuters reported that the Beijing Evening News republished, in the international news page of its June 3 edition, translated portions of the article "Congress Threatens To Leave D.C. Unless New Capitol Is Built". The story discusses the U.S. Congress's threats to leave Washington for Memphis, Tennessee; Charlotte, North Carolina; or even Toronto, Canada unless Washington, D.C. built them a new Capitol building with a retractable dome. The article is a parody of U.S. sports franchises' threats to leave their home city unless new stadiums are built for them. Evening News initially stood by the story, demanding proof of its falsehood. It later retracted the article, responding that "some small American newspapers frequently fabricate offbeat news to trick people into noticing them with the aim of making money."

In late March 2004, Deborah Norville of MSNBC presented as genuine an article titled "Study: 58 Percent Of U.S. Exercise Televised".

In 2006, the Danish television station TV 2 posted a story on the gossip section of its website that took seriously The Onion article titled "Sean Penn Demands To Know What Asshole Took <!-- e --><a href="mailto:SeanPenn@gmail.com">SeanPenn@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->"

An article on Harry Potter inciting children to practice witchcraft was the subject of a widely forwarded email which repeated the quotes attributed to children in the article. Columnist Ellen Makkai and others who believe the Harry Potter books "recruit" children to Satanism have also been taken in by the article, using quotes from it to support their claims.

In September 2009, two Bangladeshi newspapers, The Daily Manab Zamin and The New Nation, published stories translated from The Onion claiming Neil Armstrong had held a news conference claiming the moon landing was an elaborate hoax. Neither realized The Onion was not a genuine news site. Both of the newspapers apologized to their readers for not checking the story.

In October 2009, the Russian news site Russia.ru repackaged clips from The Onion video piece "New Anti-Smoking Ad Warns Teens 'It's Gay to Smoke'" as legitimate news.

In February 2010, among others the online newspapers Il Corriere della Sera (Italy) and Adresseavisen (Norway) repackaged clips from The Onion video piece "Denmark Introduces Harrowing New Tourism Ads Directed By Lars Von Trier" as legitimate news.

In June 2010, the soccer website Sofoot.com (France) mistook for real news the article "Nation's Soccer Fan Becoming Insufferable", picked up the story and translated it partially on their own website under the title "La solitude du supporter ricain" ("The Yankee supporter's loneliness"). The article even ends with a kind word for the fake fan, telling him to be brave and to hang on.

In November 2010, The Fox Nation website, a part of the Fox News network, mistook The Onion's article about President Barack Obama writing a 75,000 word e-mail complaining about America as a genuine report.

In April 2011, the New York Times took an article that was several years old seriously. The article talks about President Obama on the cover of the magazine Tiger Beat with an image of the magazine inside.

The blog Literally Unbelievable (started 2011) showcases posts from Facebook users who take various Onion articles seriously.

In September 2011, United States Capitol Police investigated reports coming from The Onion's Twitter account claiming that US congressmen were holding twelve children hostage.

Post edited by tremors on
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    amishgangstas.jpg

word-ith 8-)
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    what are ganstas? :)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:
    what are ganstas? :)

:x

ask the amish? :P
    I'm not traditional Amish but my father was born full blooded Amish so I'm quite familiar with the culture. This incident is a rare aberation but also may be a sad indication of a dying culture. Don't get me wrong- I can take a joke and I agree with what George Carlin once said- that anything can be used in humor. But I also feel sad knowing that, in really, all jokes aside, that part of my heritage is dying. For some reason I just can't laugh about that.

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I've had enough comedy already at just reading the name Lester Mullet. :lol::lol::lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    brianlux wrote:
    I'm not traditional Amish but my father was born full blooded Amish so I'm quite familiar with the culture. This incident is a rare aberation but also may be a sad indication of a dying culture. Don't get me wrong- I can take a joke and I agree with what George Carlin once said- that anything can be used in humor. But I also feel sad knowing that, in really, all jokes aside, that part of my heritage is dying. For some reason I just can't laugh about that.

Well, I think the Amish way of life has been dying for quite some time. I think it's hard to live in that kind of bubble and keep away from an ever changing world, and it's especially hard to keep the kids there. In some ways the Amish have let the kids be a little more modern, allowing them to enjoy some of the modern trappings (like sound systems in their buggies, etc) but are expected to give that up when they turn 18 and fully settle into the Amish lifestyle. I think that's a very well-meant gesture, but at the same time it gives some of them a taste of "what they're missing", and only makes them want more. Or some kids want more non-material things, like a decent education, as the majority of Amish communities only provide an 8th grade education and nothing more.

I saw a show, it was 20/20 or something like that, probably 5-6 years ago about these people that run a group to "rescue" Amish teenagers. They run a safe house and help the kids sneak off in the middle of the night, it was almost like an underground railroad for Amish teenagers. It was pretty sad really, not just that these kids felt the only thing to do was sneak away from their families in the middle of the night, but also the trouble they had adjusting to modern society once out of the Amish community.

I think that regardless of what happens in the Amish community, the more that society advances from the way of life the Amish still enjoy, the more they become alienated, the more they ask people to give up to stay there, and the harder it will be to keep people within the fold. I can't really imagine what it must be like to live in that culture, and see all the "advancements" (for better or worse) going on in the world, and not being able to enjoy any of it because that's just the way you were raised. Because at one point in the past your ancestors decided not to take part in any of that.
    way to kill a thread!

8-)
    ;)
    :P
    brianlux wrote:

Well, I think the Amish way of life has been dying for quite some time. I think it's hard to live in that kind of bubble and keep away from an ever changing world, and it's especially hard to keep the kids there. In some ways the Amish have let the kids be a little more modern, allowing them to enjoy some of the modern trappings (like sound systems in their buggies, etc) but are expected to give that up when they turn 18 and fully settle into the Amish lifestyle. I think that's a very well-meant gesture, but at the same time it gives some of them a taste of "what they're missing", and only makes them want more. Or some kids want more non-material things, like a decent education, as the majority of Amish communities only provide an 8th grade education and nothing more.

I saw a show, it was 20/20 or something like that, probably 5-6 years ago about these people that run a group to "rescue" Amish teenagers. They run a safe house and help the kids sneak off in the middle of the night, it was almost like an underground railroad for Amish teenagers. It was pretty sad really, not just that these kids felt the only thing to do was sneak away from their families in the middle of the night, but also the trouble they had adjusting to modern society once out of the Amish community.

I think that regardless of what happens in the Amish community, the more that society advances from the way of life the Amish still enjoy, the more they become alienated, the more they ask people to give up to stay there, and the harder it will be to keep people within the fold. I can't really imagine what it must be like to live in that culture, and see all the "advancements" (for better or worse) going on in the world, and not being able to enjoy any of it because that's just the way you were raised. Because at one point in the past your ancestors decided not to take part in any of that.
    Intersting comments, SatansFuton. Thank you! :)

And sorry if I "killed" someone's thread. Not my intent.

i was joking on satans futon.........i guess my sarcasm isn't that funny!! :lol:
    Lizard wrote:
    i was joking on satans futon.........i guess my sarcasm isn't that funny!! :lol:

I was born without a funny bone.
    Actually, you both crack me up! :lol:

Now, on with the show... :D

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,812
    amishparadise.jpg
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA