Tijuana

dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm going to California is December.

Tijuana was never a place I thought of going because of the bad name it has. But this weekend my two Aunts were over for Thanksgiving and I was asking them about things to do while I was out in Cali. They asked if I was planning on going to Tijuana, which I thought was a joke because I like to do dumb things, but turns out they weren't joking, and they have both been there.

I saw they have some guided tours and you can go over on a bus. so i'm thinking that might be a good option.

now i'm really interested in going and it seems as like the risk of getting killed are less then i thought.

is it worth going? is it really that bad?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Tequila
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • TonykinTonykin Posts: 252
    Hi there!
    There's always a risk to going to a particular city you don't know because if you end up in the wrong neighborhood or area there's more possibilities you gonna get hurt.
    Tijuana is a good place with lots of places to party (great bars with cheap beer) and great restaurants. Also, you can visit Rosarito (great lobster) and Ensenada (about 1hr drive from Tj)...
    You'll find a few PJ fans around too... :thumbup:

"... Tan suato mi'jo!!"

-Salomón & Artemisa Vargas
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,944
    edited October 2011
    donkey show.

enough said.
    :mrgreen:

Actually I've never seen a thing like that.
    But I DID almost miss ships movement because of TJ!!

One thing I can say is watch out for the tranny/crossdressing hookers. :lol:
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Tonykin wrote:
    Hi there!
    There's always a risk to going to a particular city you don't know because if you end up in the wrong neighborhood or area there's more possibilities you gonna get hurt.
    Tijuana is a good place with lots of places to party (great bars with cheap beer) and great restaurants. Also, you can visit Rosarito (great lobster) and Ensenada (about 1hr drive from Tj)...
    You'll find a few PJ fans around too... :thumbup:

Hell yeah! Show me around sometime!
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    San Diegan here. Haven't had any desire to visit Tijuana since I turned 21.

Might be interesting in a sociological way though, just to see (and a guided bus tour is probably a good way to go). But I've had enough friends/family get shaken down for cash just across the border to figure it's probably not worth going on my own. Granted, it's been a few years since that happened, but I don't think the police situation has improved down there at all.

Edited to note, I do have a friends that spend time in Ensenada, and Rosarita. It's TJ itself that's got the rep.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    We used to go all the time when we lived in San Diego, but it's my understanding that in the past year or so it's not safe. I'd do a bit more research before heading over. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I was there in 2009 when I was in San Diego for the Pearl Jam show. Personally I'd never go back. Constantly harassed by the retailers and street merchants...crossing into Mexico is fairly fast and easy, coming back is mucher slower. Never felt threatened or anything like that...it might be more violent today than it was then.

The advice I got was to stick to the main streets where the tourist are.

You culd PM the godfather he lives in san diego he'd have a good idea.

Good luck.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    perfect place to party at clubs and drink for VERY cheap.....when ure between 16-21. :? its still fun in a weird sort of way so check it out if you are around. Dont take a bus though. :shock:
    Rosarito/Ensenada are a good time as well. My favorite part about going to TJ is buying blankets and ponchos at the border! :D HOWEVER, if ure coming to California.....spend some time in San Diego. You will love it!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    mickeyrat wrote:
    donkey show.

enough said.
    :mrgreen:

Yep. "El Teatro del Burro"

...I love TJ. Was last there about 2 years ago. I always walk across the border. There are parking lots at the border or you can take the trolley (blue line) from San Diego. It stops at the crossing. I wouldn't recommend going alone, and definitely check the safety warnings. Stay on the main streets. Have a great time if you go! TJ is sooo fun. Street tacos, cheap beer and discotecas!! And Tang in any flavor!

I also recommend purchasing at least one of these. I bought a few and now have none as they became a hot ticket item. I need to go back just to get more.
    5e1d8611023e.jpg
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • GrandmaGrandma Posts: 259
    Mexico is on the US Travel Advisory list as of April 2011:
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _1764.html

I wouldn't go near there. Went once about 5 years ago - the old bargains I'd heard about are long gone except for the beer. Took us 2 hours to get back into the US in a LONG line - with no facilities anywhere nearby ( and after all that beer - well ou can imagine).

Lots of shake-downs and kidnappings.
    San Diego is lovely though - tons to do.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I was there once, visiting my step brother who was going to college at Long Beach, we took a road trip there, parked on the US side and walked over. I don't remember much other than him ordering for me, over and over, these drinks where the bartenders would sneak up behind me, hold me in my chair and tilt me back, dump tequila and other stuff in my mouth, shake me all around, then follow with a beer chaser that they just shoved the upside-down bottle in my mouth until it emptied, the whole time yelling and blowing whistles. After an unknown number of these, I vaguely remember dancing on a rooftop bar, and then waking up in the apartment of these girls in San Diego who bought us breakfast as we had no money by that point, then taking off for the long drive back to LA with the windows down.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I was there once, visiting my step brother who was going to college at Long Beach, we took a road trip there, parked on the US side and walked over. I don't remember much other than him ordering for me, over and over, these drinks where the bartenders would sneak up behind me, hold me in my chair and tilt me back, dump tequila and other stuff in my mouth, shake me all around, then follow with a beer chaser that they just shoved the upside-down bottle in my mouth until it emptied, the whole time yelling and blowing whistles. After an unknown number of these, I vaguely remember dancing on a rooftop bar, and then waking up in the apartment of these girls in San Diego who bought us breakfast as we had no money by that point, then taking off for the long drive back to LA with the windows down.
    ahh, memories. Of Tequila Poppers!!! And coming to in the company of strangers!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • As someone who likes to find themselves in a bit of trouble from time to time and has lived in Sothern CA for the past 19 years I can speak to several different experiences in MX.

If you are going to site-see I would take the advice from an earlier reply and check out Ensenada or Rosarito.
    If you do this, it is a fun time and some cool stuff to see. Good food but I strongly suggest that you avoid all water/ice. I have been there a bunch of times and it was only the last one that everyone was sick on. Nothing wrong with the water, just has different bacteria in it than we might be used to in the states.
    I dont think you need to worry at those places about safety - but you should have someone who speaks Spanish with you.

If you are going to whoop it up and get into some fun/trouble -- TJ is a fun place to do it! Gambling, Booze, Women....fun, fun stuff. (It would help to be young, I used to enjoy it a lot more.)
    For TJ fun I think you need to know where you are going, which means finding someone who is a semi-regular visitor to act as guide. I would not suggest going over yourself and going out on the town to get fucked up by yourself or with another out of towner. It would be easy to find yourself in the wrong area.

It offers some cool perspective and you will see some wild/cool stuff.

Lots of other cool stuff to do in CA...assuming you have been here before?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Dear God that sounds intense!
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

for some reason, i pictured you telling this story in the voice of jimmy fallon in almost famous when he is confessing on the plane! :lol:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Dear God that sounds intense!

well, it was a long time ago, I was 19 I think, so that would be about 1987 ish. good times. :D
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    hey guys.... thanks for all of the replies. it was more then i was expecting!

now i'm even more excited about this trip.
    dCowboyPJ wrote:
    hey guys.... thanks for all of the replies. it was more then i was expecting!

now i'm even more excited about this trip.
    it was the donkey show, wasn't it. I knew it. ;)

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    been to both Tijuana and Mexicali each once. Tijuana is mild in comparison.

dad used to be in the navy during the vietnam era and was stationed in San Diego. during the late 60's the navy and the marines fought like cats and dogs tearing good old TJ down to the ground on a nightly basis. people were beat up, stabbed, and sometimes shot, shot by the federales that is.

when in Tijuana be silent and respectful. do not piss in a alleyway or act like a jackass and you'll be fine.

in the 60's (and still this way today i am sure) federales shoot first then ask questions. i've seen them in action with my own two eyes, they are not playing games. do not go down there looking for dope or anything shady, not a good idea.

when in Mexicali, turn around and go home. simple really. Tj, not so bad.

do not flash your money in any way shape or form. keep your wallet in your front pocket. children age 5 or 6 are perfect at pick pocketing. the place is crowded and perfect for theives.

vanilla is cheap down there. dad always bought large bottles of it when visiting.
    scams are everywhere and the people are penniless for the most part.
    scary? it could be. go everywhere in pairs, even to the pisser.

we never drove down there. we always walked over.

all in all it is great fun and a wonderful experience.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce