Chris Cornell - Seasons guitar tuning HELP!

facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,629
edited August 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
Any kind soul out there willing and able to explain to a complete novice how to tune my guitar into the correct tuning? I thought I'd managed it, but it's not sounding right at all.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

  • quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    I not sure if you are tuning to a certain song or just standard tuning. Anyhow, buy yourself a good tuner, I use a Snark. If will make your life a lot easier.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 5,418
    standard tuning = e a d g b e

    seasons = f c f c c f

    back when i didnt have a tuner i would do it like this

    tune the 6th string (the fattest) to the 5th string 8th fret

    now the 6th string is an f

    tune the 4th string and the 1st string to the 6th string

    now the 7th fret on the 6th string is a c

    tune the 5th string to that

    and do the same for the 3rd and 2nd string

    good luck
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13









  • ed243421 wrote:
    standard tuning = e a d g b e

    seasons = f c f c c f

    back when i didnt have a tuner i would do it like this

    tune the 6th string (the fattest) to the 5th string 8th fret

    now the 6th string is an f

    tune the 4th string and the 1st string to the 6th string

    now the 7th fret on the 6th string is a c

    tune the 5th string to that

    and do the same for the 3rd and 2nd string

    good luck

    I'll give that a go, cheers :)
  • I find the easiest way is to go to Open D tuning : D A D F# A D,

    and then just put a capo on the third fret. Essentially the same tuning and easier to get to it.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    This tuning is madness! But makes the song sound so amazing.
  • I find the easiest way is to go to Open D tuning : D A D F# A D,

    and then just put a capo on the third fret. Essentially the same tuning and easier to get to it.


    That's how I've always played it too!
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,102
    I found this: http://www.e-tabs.org/tab/chris_cornell/seasons
    don't know if it's accurate, I will give it a try and see if it sounds right..
  • I have to disagree on both tuning suggestions. I have spent considerable time figuring out how to play this song and the FCFCCF tuning just doesn't work. The low notes are unison, that can clearly be heard on the recording, I definitely don't hear a fifth between the 6th string and the 5th. I believe the tuning is actually FFCCC. The use of open D (DADF#AD) would make it very difficult if not impossible to play this song with the right notes and chords. Capoing only makes it open F major and this open tuning is F power chord or open 5th which does not have a third at all.
    I say try the above tuning and good luck!
    -Jason
  • Get some replacement strings at the ready - that tuning is a bitch on your guitar.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, ArizonaPosts: 466
    JJ205787 said:

    I have to disagree on both tuning suggestions. I have spent considerable time figuring out how to play this song and the FCFCCF tuning just doesn't work. The low notes are unison, that can clearly be heard on the recording, I definitely don't hear a fifth between the 6th string and the 5th. I believe the tuning is actually FFCCC. The use of open D (DADF#AD) would make it very difficult if not impossible to play this song with the right notes and chords. Capoing only makes it open F major and this open tuning is F power chord or open 5th which does not have a third at all.
    I say try the above tuning and good luck!
    -Jason

    FFCCC seems spot on. I was afraid to try this tuning but haven't had any trouble. Its such an awesome tune.
  • This guy does it right: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dIPsCrIkZw
  • DW101752 said:

    This guy does it right: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dIPsCrIkZw

    Sounds great to me. Best I've heard yet other than the actual recording.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Pretty sure this song is in the key of H.
Sign In or Register to comment.