Informative Presentation - Topic Ideas? Need some help...

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Hey everyone, I'm calling upon you because I know so many of your are smart, innovative, creative, and helpful individuals.

Now, I'm currently in a communications class in school, and I have an assignment to conduct an informative presentation, or speech if you will.

Problem is, I'm drawing blanks on a topic. I'm looking for any suggestions you all might be willing to give for a topic. I'd like to talk about something interesting, but not too complicated. Something that I can study, research, and learn about relatively quick to speak about with confidence, and poise.

To give you an example of what we were given as example of a topic; gold and it's nonmonetary values. We listened/watched to a speech (that followed our format, and was very well delivered and executed) that had an introduction about the topic, and the speaker opened with relating the topic to the story of King Midas and how we, like Midas, mainly focus on gold's monetary values. It followed with about 5 main points of gold's nonmonetary values, such as gold in medicine, technology, etc...

The speech needs to be about 5-6 minutes. We also have to focus on conducting our physical presentation, but I think I can handle that myself. Move around the stage a bit, make eye contact across the room, use my hands, dont' speak in one single tone, etc... I got that I think.

But I'm really not coming up with any ideas that I feel confident in researching and that I can put together a well rounded presentation on.

We're also required to use visual aids. I don't want to use something too overwhelming, so I'll probably just use images related to the main points I'm speaking of.

Does anyone have any ideas of a topic to present an informative speech on. Your input is hugely appreciated.
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Whiskey. You got scotch, bourbon, whiskey and what not and what defines each one. There is a threadon the board to help. I would recommend sampling as part of your research and maybe offering samples as part of your "visual aids"

A few years ago I did a presentation at a national conference about harm reduction based drug treatment. I offered booze to people as they walked in the door. It was a packed house.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Whiskey. You got scotch, bourbon, whiskey and what not and what defines each one. There is a threadon the board to help. I would recommend sampling as part of your research and maybe offering samples as part of your "visual aids"

A few years ago I did a presentation at a national conference about harm reduction based drug treatment. I offered booze to people as they walked in the door. It was a packed house.

:lol:

Okay, this is good. First input is about booze, I love it. Now... I have to decipher how serious you're being. ;)

I'm not sure how big of presentation I can build on whiskey, but it might be worth looking into.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    BTW, get used to seeing this thread. I'm going to bump the shit out of it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    dcfaithful wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

Okay, this is good. First input is about booze, I love it. Now... I have to decipher how serious you're being. ;)

I'm not sure how big of presentation I can build on whiskey, but it might be worth looking into.

Totally serious. Why not? You could do beer, wine, specialty booze. OHHH- how about MOONSHINE!! It is all interesting stuff, and you would be a hit at parties with all of your new knowledge. If you do moonshine you could become a bootlegger. Evryone needs a hustle in this economy.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

Totally serious. Why not? You could do beer, wine, specialty booze. OHHH- how about MOONSHINE!! It is all interesting stuff, and you would be a hit at parties with all of your new knowledge. If you do moonshine you could become a bootlegger. Evryone needs a hustle in this economy.

Idea #1: Booze (Beer, Wine, a certain spirit)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    As promised: BUMP.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    hmmm....

rbi's....good stat or not

winning in the new nfl, is 80% passsing required

ryan howard.....fraud or solid player
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I think that you should
    81 wrote:
    hmmm....

rbi's....good stat or not

winning in the new nfl, is 80% passsing required

ryan howard.....fraud or solid player

I should consider my audience. Some people won't give a shit about sports and will tune out immediately.

Unless I do a "FUCK KOBE!" presentation... :think:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I think that you should
    should.......?

speak rick, speak!!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    pearl jam, best band in the world?

maybe so, maybe not...

give your ideas and experiences with pearl jam, and also other bands that you might think can compete with pearl jam(i know you're a big music fan with a lot of experience)

their live shows, their albums, the impact they have on their fans...

you probably shouldn't take advice from me because i never went to college but if it was my project, i would go with what i know best.

i'm drunk, so feel free to disregard all of my advice
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    conman wrote:

maybe so, maybe not...

give your ideas and experiences with pearl jam, and also other bands that you might think can compete with pearl jam(i know you're a big music fan with a lot of experience)

you probably shouldn't take advice from me because i never went to college but if it was my project, i would go with what i know best.

:lol::lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I had to do this last year for my comm class, I'm a comm major. Presented on vinyl and recent rise of the record. Awww yeahhhh 8-)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    samjam wrote:
    I had to do this last year for my comm class, I'm a comm major. Presented on vinyl and recent rise of the record. Awww yeahhhh 8-)

That is a wonderful idea. I did want to do something related to music. I did a presentation in a tech class on binaural recording, but it was a very short and brief. Thought about expanding on that...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    conman wrote:

maybe so, maybe not...

Best post I've read in a long ass time. :lol::lol::lol: :thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    dcfaithful wrote:
    samjam wrote:

That is a wonderful idea. I did want to do something related to music. I did a presentation in a tech class on binaural recording, but it was a very short and brief. Thought about expanding on that...

Definitely expand on something you're already comfortable with. I was the same- I knew I wanted to present on something relating to music, as once you get me talking about music, I get pretty enthusiastic about it. Also was cool to pick a topic I knew enough on, but definitely not everything, so the research was the furthest from boring and tedious! And you said you needed a visual- you just got a 10c (maybe?) single in the mail, if you're not already a vinyl collector! :thumbup:
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    samjam wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    samjam wrote:

Definitely expand on something you're already comfortable with. I was the same- I knew I wanted to present on something relating to music, as once you get me talking about music, I get pretty enthusiastic about it. Also was cool to pick a topic I knew enough on, but definitely not everything, so the research was the furthest from boring and tedious! And you said you needed a visual- you just got a 10c (maybe?) single in the mail, if you're not already a vinyl collector! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot for the input! :)

and yes, I did get a 10c vinyl in the mail. :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    what was the question? huh?
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Do you have any suggestions for a topic to conduct an informative presentation on?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    kramerica and it's impact and importance on 90's corporate america
    norm wrote:

norm, do you honestly think I could do that with a straight face?? :lol::lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Do you have any suggestions for a topic to conduct an informative presentation on?

um, not in my current condition, can I get back to you?
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

um, not in my current condition, can I get back to you?

It's Friday, I totally understand. See you tomorrow? :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    dcfaithful wrote:
    norm wrote:

i didn't say it would be easy ;) :P
    norm wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    norm wrote:

i didn't say it would be easy ;) :P

"DERON!!!!!!!"
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    The Energy Efficiency Paradox
    Think green...compare energy rating, make consumer choices that are conscious of electricity consumption, but are we really consuming less electricity then people were 20-30 years ago when appliances were not energy efficient?
    bump
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • DC, arent you a radio DJ?
    There are many things you could talk about relating to radio...how a station/studio operates. The current state of the public radio industry with the rise in subscription based satellite radio, digital music technology, etc.
    That would interest me...
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    DC, arent you a radio DJ?
    There are many things you could talk about relating to radio...how a station/studio operates. The current state of the public radio industry with the rise in subscription based satellite radio, digital music technology, etc.
    That would interest me...

I'm currently a DJ on hiatus as the community station I was at collapsed, but this is a great suggestion. Thanks a lot man. There are definitely a lot of things I could talk about regarding this.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL