Options

My rant on Yellow Ledbetter

Lanegan7Lanegan7 Posts: 124
edited November 2008 in The Porch
The first few times I 've listened to this song I thought it was great. I didn't pay much attention to what Ed was saying, to me it was just another mumbling song. However when I found out that there were no actual lyrics I grew frustrated and now I can hardley stand to hear it. This song is good, but it could have been far far better had Ed taken the time to write lyrics and sing them clearly without the mumbling, it would have been an all time American classic. It detracts any meaning from the song and it can't be taken seriously, it's embarrassing to listen to. I don't care if Ed changes the lyrics every time he sings it live, but YL had so much potential and it was wasted away. It was too bad because everything else is perfect except for the inability to hear any of the "words". Lord knows Ed mumbles on enough songs, but to do it on YL is a slap on the listener's face. Just my opinion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SpeakersSpeakers Posts: 252
    Lanegan7 wrote:
    The first few times I 've listened to this song I thought it was great. I didn't pay much attention to what Ed was saying, to me it was just another mumbling song. However when I found out that there were no actual lyrics I grew frustrated and now I can hardley stand to hear it. This song is good, but it could have been far far better had Ed taken the time to write lyrics and sing them clearly without the mumbling, it would have been an all time American classic. It detracts any meaning from the song and it can't be taken seriously, it's embarrassing to listen to. I don't care if Ed changes the lyrics every time he sings it live, but YL had so much potential and it was wasted away. It was too bad because everything else is perfect except for the inability to hear any of the "words". Lord knows Ed mumbles on enough songs, but to do it on YL is a slap on the listener's face. Just my opinion.

Yeah, it is a shame Ed didn't have your music preferences in mind when he recorded the song. Shame on him.
  • Options
    Why you don't like it is exactly why I love it. This is Ed's song to sing how he feels everytime he's on stage... it's raw emotion to be expressed differently and uniquely each time. To give the song actual lyrics detracts from the mysticism on the song, it makes it just another PJ political protest. Without actual lyrics, its free to be whatever Ed, and the fans, want it to represent at that moment.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    It has taken on a life of it's own since it was written in 91. I think the reason it is as popular as it is is because of the mystique and mystery of the song. Brilliant if you ask me, musically and lyrically (or lack thereof)
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Why you don't like it is exactly why I love it. This is Ed's song to sing how he feels everytime he's on stage... it's raw emotion to be expressed differently and uniquely each time. To give the song actual lyrics detracts from the mysticism on the song, it makes it just another PJ political protest. Without actual lyrics, its free to be whatever Ed, and the fans, want it to represent at that moment.
    right on. it can evolve so much depending on the current issue, whether it be a person coming back from war not getting any respect or the current suckiness of a president in office
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    Lanegan7Lanegan7 Posts: 124
    Speakers wrote:
    Yeah, it is a shame Ed didn't have your music preferences in mind when he recorded the song. Shame on him.

Well he shouldn't need my music preferences in the first place, that was the point of my post.
  • Options
    "Make me fries"
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,593
    Potato wave
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    luke.luke. Posts: 190
    Lanegan7 wrote:

dude im sure your a nice bloke and all but seriously that is the dumbest thing ive ever read. no offense really. it detracts meaning? could have been a classic if it were not for ed? slap on the listeners face? ..... its serioulsy moments like this where i hope eddie and the boys never read these forums. its one of the most heart felt songs ive ever had the pleasure of listening to.
    its cool not to like a song... but this time its hard to respect a post like that...

take it easy dude
  • Options
    SpeakersSpeakers Posts: 252
    Lanegan7 wrote:
    Well he shouldn't need my music preferences in the first place, that was the point of my post.

Here are the lyrics if you really want to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU
  • Options
    I can understand what the original poster is talking about, about wishing there were actual, intelligible lyrics. For a person who like PJ because of their message, I get that. Personally, I think its cool to convey without using words. That may be why I'm more into Jazz than rock music. I think words is the easy way out in conveying something.
  • Options
    Lanegan7 wrote:

Gotta completely disagree with you here brother. What makes Ledbetter unique and special is there is no official lyrics just raw emotion, from the first time Ed sang it, to the last. Music is art, nothing has to be official or written in stone.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    "Make me fries"

I would love to hear Ed use those words in a live performance of Yellow Ledbetter.
  • Options
    It's a mike song anyway. Eff the lyrics, that there guitar is golden.
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    This song is amazing and after listening to it for such a long time I still get the shivers when it's starts. It's even more fascinating BECAUSE there are no "real" lyrics. And if you miss the meaning that badly, didn't Eddie explain the song during one of his solo shows this year?
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

i love yellow ledbetter cause it doesnt really matter what ed sings i can just make up words on the spot and its all good. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Maybe some other old timers can remember but I think one of the first 10club contests in the 90s was to try an decipher the lyrics. Never did see the results of this contest as I didn't renew after membership was no longer $1.

YL is great even if no one sang.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    The studio version owns the live version. Eddie sings it much better.
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    Long-kept secret...I just don't care for the song. Nothing to do with its meaning, lyrics, anything the OP said. Musically, it doesn't interest me. Never has.
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    Horos wrote:
    Maybe some other old timers can remember but I think one of the first 10club contests in the 90s was to try an decipher the lyrics. Never did see the results of this contest as I didn't renew after membership was no longer $1.

YL is great even if no one sang.
    http://www.theskyiscrape.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22217&p=560412&hilit=ledbetter+contest#p560412

From Chris_H_2 over at tsis/RM forum:

"Back in the day they had a contest asking for people's interpretations of the song. I sent mine in and won Eddie's mask (autographed) he wore for the 10.03 Rolling Stone cover and a couple of handwritten notes. I think Newsletter 7 or 8 explains it."

http://www.xs4all.nl/~groenf/images/5-contest.gif
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~groenf/images/7-6.jpg
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    Yellow Trafficbeater - Official closing song of the 2008 tour
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,284
    let the flame begin

FUCK ED on this song .

As I understand it , it's more of a showcase/goodbye from Mike anyway. His Riff (maybe stolen) To JAM us OUT the door with.The Lyrics ,to begin with ,were written on the spot without any "deep" thought to them . more of a free flow as to what he was feeling when Mike played it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Lanegan7 wrote:
    Read thru this thread.
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=298304
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    I was fortunate enough to be at the best show I will ever attend. NJPAC Newark Ed Show.... He explained the meaning of YL because some dude asked about the lyrics. He pretty much sings what he was thinking, it was just an on the spot song. Google or look up his quoted story on the thread of that show and you will understand what I mean and what he was tryin to express in the original song. I love the song and enjoy hearing it everytime live to see what he's gonna add to it.
    9/29/1996 NY
    9/1&2/2000 Camden
    7/6/2003 Camden
    5/27/2006 Camden 6/1&3/2006 NJ
    6/19/2008 Camden, 6/22/2008 Washington DC, 6/25/2008 NY
    8/7/2008 Eddie Vedder NJ, 6/11/2008 Eddie Vedder Philly (3rd Row! Thanks 10c!!)
    10/28,30&31/2009 Philly
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Don't care what he says, don't care what it means. Love it.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Lanegan7 wrote:

you got it all ass backwards

focus on the guitar

and hope for little wing
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    the lyrics the crowd hears is its reward for being good little patrons throughout the show

and i like ed mumbling
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    EPOTTSIII wrote:
    I was fortunate enough to be at the best show I will ever attend. NJPAC Newark Ed Show.... He explained the meaning of YL because some dude asked about the lyrics. He pretty much sings what he was thinking, it was just an on the spot song. Google or look up his quoted story on the thread of that show and you will understand what I mean and what he was tryin to express in the original song. I love the song and enjoy hearing it everytime live to see what he's gonna add to it.

It's described here - http://www.twofeetthick.com/tft/cc2008ev.action and here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Ledbetter#Lyrics
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    right on. it can evolve so much depending on the current issue, whether it be a person coming back from war not getting any respect or the current suckiness of a president in office

...or when Rachel boards the plane and Ross is standing there like ..."der" :D
  • Options
    no matter what lyrics eddie is singing, watching him sing it and seeing his passion and emotion takes my breath away every time.
  • Options
    Lanegan7 wrote:

i think the song has turned into a classic.... and the fact that there are no lyrics to it just adds to its "mystique" (sorry, im tired, couldnt think of a better word). not to mention it has a kick as solo and an amazing chorus that EVERYONE loves to sing along to. give it 10 years and YL will be regarded as one of pearl jams best.