Options

Songs that fade off in the end

Lanegan7Lanegan7 Posts: 124
edited October 2008 in The Porch
Hi everyone I feel that sometimes it works in songs like Wishlist and Black, but it can also ruin a song and the perfect example is In Hiding. With a proper ending it would have been a perfect song, but everytime I hear the end it irks me a bit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Life Wasted. Shittiest fadeout ever.
  • Options
    OK.

And welcome to the pit....
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    JWBusher wrote:

Agreed. Don't like fadeouts. Never have. Never will. Interesting topic for a first post. welcome to the Pit.
  • Options
    I HATE fade outs! It will almost completely ruin a song for me. Especially in mid guitar solo. It is like the song never finishes and I'm always left wanting more. *cough*all or none*cough*
    Nathan
  • Options
    Fade-out = too lazy to come up with a proper ending
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    love the fade in, hate the fade out. i love abrupt endings.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    I HATE fade outs! It will almost completely ruin a song for me. Especially in mid guitar solo. It is like the song never finishes and I'm always left wanting more. *cough*all or none*cough*

you should listen to the instrumental version of all or none on the showbox DVD. freaking awesome.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    fade outs flat out suck
    E. Rutherford 6/03/06
    Camden 6/19/08
    Newark 5/18/10
    MSG 5/20/10
    MSG 5/21/10
    Brian (Staten Island): Does Boom even speak to you guys?

SportsNation Jeff Ament: (6:42 PM ET ) we can only speak to Boom when spoken to...
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I think it's a good idea to have one or two or three on a full length record

Rats is one that comes to mind as tastefully done.

Life Wasted isn't
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Yeah, I hate fade outs too.. In the ten rough mixes of black, garden and deep there's no fade out and it's a much better ending.. The worst fade out of a pearl jam song, in my opinion, is army reserve.. Damn, I'd wish that the mike solo at the end continue at least for other three minutes
  • Options
    it's better to burn out...than to fade away...
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    you guys are all nuts. i loooove a good fade out.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    i agree with you 100%. the ending on guitar hero is better, horrifying to say.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    I think it's a good idea to have one or two or three on a full length record

Rats is one that comes to mind as tastefully done.

Life Wasted isn't
    rats fade out is excellent
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,558
    JWBusher wrote:

life wasted was longer but it was cut.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    life wasted was longer but it was cut.
    Is this leaked somewhere?
    Also is there an mp3 of 'all or none' on the show box dvd. I don't have enough money to buy it, or really anything, right now.
    Nathan
  • Options
    3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    robcascie wrote:
    Yeah, I hate fade outs too.. In the ten rough mixes of black, garden and deep there's no fade out and it's a much better ending.. The worst fade out of a pearl jam song, in my opinion, is army reserve.. Damn, I'd wish that the mike solo at the end continue at least for other three minutes

I agree with you 100% on Army Reserve. I want to hear all of Mike's solo at the end. It's great because when it kicks in, it gives different scope and dimension to an interesting song and keeps it going. but then the damn song just fades out, and i'm always left wondering what killer solo could have been to accentuate the song. and since i haven't heard it live, i don't know if Mike just takes the solo and runs with it or whatnot.

Speaking of fade outs, I can't stand when a song fades out just to fade in for 15 or 30 seconds which does absolutely nothing but detract from the song. Can't remember the title, but that one AIC song from Dirt comes to mind. Plenty of others are out there.
    Live Free or Die!
  • Options
    3sheets wrote:
    I agree with you 100% on Army Reserve. I want to hear all of Mike's solo at the end. It's great because when it kicks in, it gives different scope and dimension to an interesting song and keeps it going. but then the damn song just fades out, and i'm always left wondering what killer solo could have been to accentuate the song. and since i haven't heard it live, i don't know if Mike just takes the solo and runs with it or whatnot.

Speaking of fade outs, I can't stand when a song fades out just to fade in for 15 or 30 seconds which does absolutely nothing but detract from the song. Can't remember the title, but that one AIC song from Dirt comes to mind. Plenty of others are out there.

Weird - that song randomly came up this morning on my ipod and I thought the same thing: 'Rain When I die'. Also, in the same mix, Soundgarden's 'Searching with my good eye closed' came on - another that fades out and then back in... This must be international 'Fade out/In day'... in addition to being Halloween.
    'She runs through my veins like a long, black river and rattles my cage like a thunderstorm...' R. Adams.
  • Options
    I HATE fade outs. The worst fade out ever? Small Town. Soooo cheesy!
    "Those who dance are called insane by people who don't hear the music."
  • Options
    I hate when they fade out during an ending solo, or really during anything for that matter. I mean Life Wasted live is far better than on the recording. Clearly, they dont fade out at the end, and its sounds tons better. Just my opinion.
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning

6/30/2008 - Mansfield, MA.
    5/17/2010 - Boston, MA
    9/3/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
    9/4/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    In The Moonlight has always been a fade out that has just irritated the hell out of me....it's right in the middle of Mike wailing and it's just a flat out tease.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

You should listen to Type O Negative....tons of abrupt and unexpected endings.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Well...

I think in the end it depends on the fade out... some are well done, some are not. But I have to say (and it hurts) that Pearl Jam is not really good in making fade outs...

Maybe it's not entirely their fault, but they have ears and should fix things when someone messes up!

One for all... The fade out in Wishlist.... can't stand it!!!
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    skinnylegs wrote:
    I HATE fade outs. The worst fade out ever? Small Town. Soooo cheesy!

Are you calling Small Town cheesy?? :confused:

:eek:
  • Options
    Most People Are DJ's by The Hold Steady. Check it out - it's the most teasing abrupt ending ever. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    Are you calling Small Town cheesy?? :confused:

:eek:

Not the song, just the fade out. Yes, cheesy.
    "Those who dance are called insane by people who don't hear the music."
  • Options
    Well...
    One for all... The fade out in Wishlist.... can't stand it!!!

I kinda see what people are talking about with the fadeouts, but I feel personally that this is one of the better artistic uses of the fadeout. The entire song is about how unsatisfied and wanting we are as a society and it ends in what could be interpreted as a neverending list of wishes............

Very appropriate to this song I think!

My biggest disappointment with PJ fading out has to be Life Wasted, if only because I heard the leak first before the album came out and the mess at the end of it is super cool!

DP
  • Options
    Fade out and come back stronger again.

Suspicious Minds by Elvis rocks the way it comes back even better than before. You think that a great song is over then suddenly you've got just a bit more to enjoy.

Television 'Marquee Moon' being the quintessential example, although technically no fade out in the middle - the note just lingers and then there is silence... silence... silence... rolling bass guitar. Wow!
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    skinnylegs wrote:
    Not the song, just the fade out. Yes, cheesy.

OK then....

I THOUGHT for a quick minute i may have read something else... I agree, btw...

I just like never ever listen to studio anymore... but i seem to recall!!!:)
  • Options
    DPrival78 wrote:
    you guys are all nuts. i loooove a good fade out.

Best fade out ever, Belle and Sebastian's 'Boy With The Arab Strap'.

I'm always straining to hear what he is singing at the end as the sound just dies away. I make it as far as "You're constantly updating your hit parade of you ten biggest wan*s, she's a waitress and she's got stars" and I think there is another line but I just can't make it out.
    we're all going to the same place...