Options

California prisoner hunger strike

ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
edited October 2011 in A Moving Train
So in recent news... inmates in California (approx. 1500 - 10000... depending on who ya ask)
are participating in a hunger strike in protest of prison conditions.

According to the news report I was reading, the people who organized the rally/protest are seeking 5 demands:

1: an end to a policy that requires an inmate to identify fellow gang members in exchange for getting out of solitary confinement;
2.an end to long-term solitary confinement;
3.adequate and nutritious food;
4.greater privileges for prisoners confined to isolation indefinitely
5. an end to group punishments.

Thoughts and opinions?

Cheers,

Parksy
Toronto 2000
Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
Boston I&II 2004
Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
Toronto I&II 2011
Buffalo 2013
Toronto I&II 2016
10C: 220xxx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    I think that some of the protesters in NYC could learn a few things from what these inmates are doing, list your demands or grievances, then do what is needed to get them fixed, listened to.

Perhaps its time for the zombies to stop eating?
    ~
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    People are placed in solitary confinement for a reason... reason being, so they don't kill another prisoner.
    The one thing on the list I agree with... group punishment. Why should some guy that is just trying to count out his time be punished because dumb fuck gang pussies cause riots? There are cameras all over the prison... punish the fuckers that are causing the riots.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,481
    They are in prison for a reason, so as far as I'm concerned they don't have any rights, they gave them up when they commited the crime. If a few of them parish, oh well the prisons are over populated anyways
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 wrote:
    They are in prison for a reason, so as far as I'm concerned they don't have any rights, they gave them up when they commited the crime. If a few of them parish, oh well the prisons are over populated anyways

Why are the prisons over populated?
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    BLACK35 wrote:

Because more people commit crimes than there are cells. :?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    BLACK35 wrote:

Because more people commit crimes than there are cells. :?

More people commit crimes than there are cells..that does not really answer the question, nevetheless are prisoners sleeping in the hallways? Probably not, so its not really that they dont have enough cells. Its a bit deeper than that. Like what crimes are being commited, does it make sense to lock people up for non violent drug offences...etc etc etc
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Parksy wrote:

I think what they're basically saying is "better food" as in tastier. Nutrition is basically the only thing the prison system takes into account when designing a menu, and I know many prisons (maybe all, or at least all prison systems) employ a nutritionist, to make sure they get what they need, although maybe not what they want. I think they just don't like the food, and I can understand wanting better food, but it is prison after all. And if they're concerned with not getting proper nutrition I don't think a hunger strike is the way to go.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,128
    I think the taxpayers of California will thank them for reducing the costs of keeping their criminal asses behind bars. :lol:
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Parksy wrote:

I think what they're basically saying is "better food" as in tastier. Nutrition is basically the only thing the prison system takes into account when designing a menu, and I know many prisons (maybe all, or at least all prison systems) employ a nutritionist, to make sure they get what they need, although maybe not what they want. I think they just don't like the food, and I can understand wanting better food, but it is prison after all. And if they're concerned with not getting proper nutrition I don't think a hunger strike is the way to go.
    Ever hear of 'Prison Loaf'? It is everything on the plate mashed up into a giat ball. Looks like a giant turd, tastes like dog food (so, I've heard).
    That's because those fucking assholes in Prison throw their plates and use utinsils as weapons. If they didn't do that shit... they wouldn't have to eat Prison loaf.
    My take... you reap what you sow. Throw plates and make shives from spoons... you get prison loaf.
    Do your time... walk the straight and narrow... you get to eat at the 'In N Out'.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664
    BLACK35 wrote:

Regardless if you're concerned or not, they still have rights. It's interesting to see people's reactions when throw-aways of society get to be the focus of attention, however brief it is.
  • Options
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Regardless if you're concerned or not, they still have rights. It's interesting to see people's reactions when throw-aways of society get to be the focus of attention, however brief it is.
    Thing is... the guys that get solitary confinement... they are like the criminals of prison. You know how you hear about getting off for good behaviour? Well, these are the guy in for bad behaviour... the guys that the other prisoners are probably afraid of.
    For the most part, the guys in prison are just doing their time. Don't want to do shit to extend their sentance... the guys in solitary confinement are the ones who don't give a shit.
    and the ones that need to be protected from the general population... child molestors, child rapists, rapists, etc...
    Hail, Hail!!!