How do Records Work?

rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I mean, I know how they work,
but....

how?

How can the vibrations of little bumps detected by a little needle produce the exact wholeness of the sound of someone's voice for instance?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    VooDoo
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Rollings wrote:
    but....

how?

How can the vibrations of little bumps detected by a little needle produce the exact wholeness of the sound of someone's voice for instance?

Unicorns
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    When you place a record onto a record player, the needle on the stylus retraces the groove that has been cut into the record. As it retraces the groove, it recreates the sounds which caused the groove to bend and form in the first place by transferring the vibrations to a diaphragm in a speaker which picks up the sound and amplifies it to a reasonable level.

clear as mud?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Stone Gossard makes them work.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    DS1119 wrote:
    Rollings wrote:
    but....

how?

Unicorns

according to rckndy's post...you are correct sir!

I thought it was magic. Or that dog.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,150
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Rollings wrote:

I thought it was magic. Or that dog.

You're right, it is by magic
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
    81 wrote:

Quite a good read!

"The world didn't switch to CDs because they were a superior technology, but because music publishing companies flooded the shops with them and gradually stopped making LPs. We had no choice!"

:!:

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    tremors wrote:
    81 wrote:

Quite a good read!

"The world didn't switch to CDs because they were a superior technology, but because music publishing companies flooded the shops with them and gradually stopped making LPs. We had no choice!"

hmm....might be superior....

can take them in the car...can take them on a plane....can take them for a run....can take them in the rain....what...i dunno...cd's work for me.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    81 wrote:

Quite a good read!

hmm....might be superior....

can take them in the car...can take them on a plane....can take them for a run....can take them in the rain....what...i dunno...cd's work for me.

Yeah, they are superior in terms of ease of use, no doubt about it.... which is why nobody is buying CDs any more, and using MP3! Vinyl is returning rapidly for those who want a better relationship with the sound. CD's have some advantages over vinyl in terms of sound, but sales are still falling, while record sales are shooting back up.....

tremors wrote:
    . Vinyl is returning rapidly for those who want a better relationship with the sound. CD's have some advantages over vinyl in terms of sound, ...

explain, please the differences between the two in your opinion, tremors
    Jokertt® wrote:

by George, I think I understand.

Still, that's amazing that the shape of a groove can produce the sound of a distinct human voice, isn't it?

But then again, I suppose all physical science would be amazing then....and it probably is.

As Archie Bunker would say "Ah, woopdy doo, woopdy doo, woopdy doo"
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,695
    Jokertt® wrote:
    Sounds like Tedy Bruschi.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Rollings wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    . Vinyl is returning rapidly for those who want a better relationship with the sound. CD's have some advantages over vinyl in terms of sound, ...

well, as you know, I hate scientists, so in case there are any lurking around I will say this as briefly as possible!

Vinyl is an analog medium, which means the signal is analogous to the original, and to sound found in nature. A sound wave in nature is not made with digital sampling, and nor is the signal on your record - as a result the impact on the listener (imho) is more satisfying to the conscious and subconscious mind, because you are experiencing a more analogous relationship to the voice and music - it is qualitatively closer to what you would experience if in the same room as the people playing the music.

CDs use digital sampling technology which breaks the sound down into chunks, 'sampling' means there are bits of the original signal missing across time - an analog signal works in a different way - the information degrades, but more naturally - the more stages the information has to go through. The result of digital sampling is to give a crisper, clearer sound, which has its attractions, but in my view is less satisfying musically.

Since digital recording is all the rage currently (at all stages of the recording process) this difference becomes more problematic for more recent music, so playing the vinyl of backspacer won't give you many benefits - the original recording is already digital. Listening to records recorded in the 1960s and 70s will bring more analog into your life! ;)

Shit, I've said too much! Are there any scientists lurking in this all encompassing trip?

tremors wrote:
    Rollings wrote:
    tremors wrote:

well, as you know, I hate scientists, so in case there are any lurking around I will say this as briefly as possible!

Vinyl is an analog medium, which means the signal is analogous to the original, and to sound found in nature. A sound wave in nature is not made with digital sampling, and nor is the signal on your record - as a result the impact on the listener (imho) is more satisfying to the conscious and subconscious mind, because you are experiencing a more analogous relationship to the voice and music - it is qualitatively closer to what you would experience if in the same room as the people playing the music.

CDs use digital sampling technology which breaks the sound down into chunks, 'sampling' means there are bits of the original signal missing across time - an analog signal works in a different way - the information degrades, but more naturally - the more stages the information has to go through. The result of digital sampling is to give a crisper, clearer sound, which has its attractions, but in my view is less satisfying musically.

Since digital recording is all the rage currently (at all stages of the recording process) this difference becomes more problematic for more recent music, so playing the vinyl of backspacer won't give you many benefits - the original recording is already digital. Listening to records recorded in the 1960s and 70s will bring more analog into your life! ;)

Shit, I've said too much! Are there any scientists lurking in this all encompassing trip?

yes, there is a scientist that frequents the AET forum from time to time...now I'm sad I don't have a turntable...I have some records from the 60s :(
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    You see why I don't come in AET very much RK. They told me everything you say in here has to be funny, and I'm not very good at that! :lol:

tremors wrote:
    You see why I don't come in AET very much RK. They told me everything you say in here has to be funny, and I'm not very good at that! :lol:

you don't have to be funny...I just count on the fact that I'm funny looking. :lol:

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    tremors wrote:

you don't have to be funny...I just count on the fact that I'm funny looking. :lol:

i can vouch for her on that.

i kid :wave:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    tremors wrote:

i can vouch for her on that.

i kid :wave:

81 is a funny (looking) guy...I have pictures! :angel:

you know I'm kidding!...I hope...

- Christopher McCandless
    it's true. :( :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:

81 is a funny (looking) guy...I have pictures! :angel:

81 is a funny guy. The best way for me to be funny here is to read one of 81s posts, and then post the first shit that comes into my head

tremors wrote:
    then post the first shit that comes into my head

that's the way to do it....
    8-)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    then post the first shit that comes into my head

that's the way to do it....
    8-)

that's what he said

- Christopher McCandless
    Stone Gossard was behind the faked lunar landings......

tremors wrote:

No no...."educated" posts are welcome here as well!

....I think?~`~! ?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,944
    records work by taking them out of the cover, placing them on you rturntable, carefully placing the Stylus arm on the edge groove and turning the power to the turntable on. THAT is how it works.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14