Best effect?

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited November 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
What is everyone's opinion on the best effect box?

For Distortion, I like the BOSS DS1....it's a classic and tried and true!
For Overdrive, as much as I like the tone of the TS5(TS9 but in a cruddy plastic case), I think the BD2 is the most versatile.
For Flange, without a doubt, the Ibanez FL9....the range and sounds are endless!
For Chorus, I must say the DOD Ice Box (with the 4th knob) is the smoothest I've played.
For Phasers, I'd say the MXR Phase 90 is good but I like the sounds of the Digitech Hyperphaser----however, it sucked tone worse than....nevermind...keeping it PG.
As for rotary speaker units, H&K Rotosphere has the best tones but is a bit expensive.
Octave unit: BOSS OC2. No nonsense, just good clean tones (if using one string).
Digital Delay: I like the BOSS DD6 but the Digitech Digi-Delay was easier to use.
For Analog Delay, the AD9 had the cleanest tones but the MXR Carbon Copy allows one to warp the delays.

However, I'm sure many of you have used more pedals than I have. What do you think?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• On my board I like these:

Distortion: ProCo RAT 2 - I just love how versatile it is, give me a great Brit Rock type sound. I used to have a Boss MT-2, but it was way to heavy for me.

Overdrive: I just got the Ibanez Tubescreamer and haven't been able to test it in full flight. I like it around the mid range, gives me what I need, coupled with the RAT, I can get way more sounds out of them over a BD-2

Delay: Boss DD-20. Before I bought this, I really did my research. It was between this and a Line 6 DL4. What I love about the DD-20 is that you can select your time to the millisecond. Some may wonder how is this useful? Well for U2's 'Where the Streets Have No Name' Edge uses a modulation delay at exactly 352ms. This pedal makes that sound perfectly. It acts like a rack unit. The DL4 only had stomp entry, the DD-20 has both. I love this pedal so much.

Those are what I run, and I dont know enough about Phaser and what not, however I will probably end up with a Line 6 MM4, gives you a nice solid bank of everything in one with a lot of customization options. May not have the best sound, but if its good enough for Mike, its good enough for me.
  • My personal favorites are anything that EHX makes, especially their analog effects. They sound so warm on low settings, and when you push them up they get phenomenally silly which is something that I personally love.

That being said, I wouldn't trade my Crybaby for another wah.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I usually do as much research as possible, which is basically watching sample vids on proguitarshop or youtube and found that these were the best, to me anyway.

Wah-Clyde deluxe>> sweep is quick, but long and that took some getting used to, but this thing crushed my Crybaby 535q, really appreciate how the sound doesn't disappear when it's rocked back, the boost, and the 3 useable settings, as the 535q was set and forget

Vibe-MJM 60s Vibe>>none of the others compared to me, distinctly old school sounding it shakes your soul when it hits the low part of the wobble. My eyes are wellin' up just thinkin about how good it sounds

Analogman ARDX20>>sounds great and is 2 switchable delays in one box, I keep it set sorta like a reverb and then a longer lead type delay, top flight components

I concur with the Ibanez FL9 Flanger, just so mellow sounding, let your guitar come through while still being a sick sounding flange, reminds me of why I like the Small Stone phaser
  • I love my BD-2....sounds great with my setup. I used to heavily underestimate the value of a good overdrive pedal. Also love my Crybaby.

For Overdrive, as much as I like the tone of the TS5(TS9 but in a cruddy plastic case), I think the BD2 is the most versatile.

On that note...I have owned many distortion pedals but never the DS-1 (most simple and cost effective distortion pedal...yet I have never played one)
    how do the DS-1 and BD-2 sound together?????
    Toronto - 1996, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011 1 & 2.
    Buffalo - 2010
  • I love my BD-2....sounds great with my setup. I used to heavily underestimate the value of a good overdrive pedal. Also love my Crybaby.

On that note...I have owned many distortion pedals but never the DS-1 (most simple and cost effective distortion pedal...yet I have never played one)
    how do the DS-1 and BD-2 sound together?????

Depends on how they are in the chain. Using the BD2 as a booster, the sound is VERY heavy and out of this world! Using the DS1 as the booster, sounds very fuzzy and muddy.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Right now for Overdrive I'm rocking the Visual Sound Route 808, I preferred it to all the other ODs I've tried in the store, plus the BD-2 it replaced on my board.

I run a CE-5 for Chorus lately. but I'm thinking that'll be replaced with something soon.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • For a simple and compay (analog) delay, I think the Carbon Copy from MXR is where its at.

I will continue on the MXR love boat...
    For boost, the MXR kills it hands down. The boost is SO powerful. I use it for solos or when my band has a really quick heavy hitting part...just to really make the crowd feel it through their chest ;)

Distortion is always a tricky one...
    I used to use a custom pedal (valveboy) that was made by a dude who works at the Mesa Boogie Store in Hollywood. Last year, I switched gears to the Fulltone. It has the Marshall crunch and is far more powerful than most pedals on the market.
    I live my life like an Ocean in disguise
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    Hey ex, roughly what do you have your BD2 set to on the 3 dials when you use it as a boost?

to add to the thread. I really love all the pedals but if i had to pick one - my stock Tubescreamer.
  • savman wrote:
    Hey ex, roughly what do you have your BD2 set to on the 3 dials when you use it as a boost?

to add to the thread. I really love all the pedals but if i had to pick one - my stock Tubescreamer.
    Sorry for the delay. Usually I have the gain at about 9 or 7 oclock
    Level depends in how much boost I need. Start around 8 o'clock and then move it up as you need to
    Tone is at noon and then adjusted as needed (depending on the room I'm in)