Options

SHOULD I? SHOULDNT I? poster?

southerngardensoutherngarden Posts: 457
edited November 2008 in The Porch
so how much are posters truly worth?

when i was young and just starting my serious intrest in music and music art my mother gave me an original 1968 Washington Hilton Jimi Hendrix poster. she worked at a graphic artist's studio when she was younger and held on to a few prints that were headed for the trash (two hendrix, a joplin, blood sweat and tears, and a vanilla fudge) I had the hendrix framed and have had it on my various walls ever since.

i recently had an offer for $6,000 for this poster.

as far as art goes this poster isnt that great. compared to some of the modern day posters its crappy....but its not modern day and its freakin HENDRIX...
this poster is also dear to my heart because it came from my mother. it also happens to be so rare that in the future, even if i could afford it, i probably couldnt find another one to replace it.

so im writing all this in hopes of finding some help....i love the poster but isnt there a price? $6,000 is a lot of money....

any thoughts....

oh yeah...the poster: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/54764

my collection with the other 1968s...they are pretty interesting, very cheap concerts...steve miller was an opener....
http://www.expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=14417
I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,006
    Without a doubt I would hold on to it. It definately has sentimental value to you, it's a great asset to have and like you said even if you wanted to purchase it again in the future you would have a hard time finding another one, and would probably pay more for it in the future. I doubt something like this would ever decrease in value also.

Definately a keeper in my opinion.
  • Options
    $6000 is a lot of money. I'd say keep it for sentimental reasons but sell it if you are ever in SERIOUS need of money. Also, think of the day you would show your kids/grand kids it.
    Nathan
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I'd keep it for sure. It will only continue to increase in value. It's like money in the bank - lol . You've also got the sentimental value in it, so I'd definitely hang on to it if you can. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    What would you do with the $6,000? You don't have to worry about buying it again in the future because it seems like you're not that big a fan of the poster.

If you don't need the money then why even consider it? I wouldn't bank on it being worth more in the future, who knows what the future mght bring? Live for the now.

Without appearing tactless, is your mum still around for you to ask her opinion?
  • Options
    yes, already talked it over with mom....she seems to agree with most of you so far...i do like the poster i was just pointing out that its not on the same level of production as modern ones...

id probably buy more posters with the money...and it would probably waste away...i cant afford to invest it properly right now...

thanks for the advice....it helps to hear others...

i have thought about showing it to my kids and their kids....

i think it will only go up in value...art usually does.

when my mom is gone i think it may mean even more to me as it represents her love for the same music that i love....
  • Options
    yes, already talked it over with mom....she seems to agree with most of you so far...i do like the poster i was just pointing out that its not on the same level of production as modern ones...

id probably buy more posters with the money...and it would probably waste away...i cant afford to invest it properly right now...

thanks for the advice....it helps to hear others...

i have thought about showing it to my kids and their kids....

i think it will only go up in value...art usually does.

when my mom is gone i think it may mean even more to me as it represents her love for the same music that i love....
    Excellent choice and reasoning! :)
    Nathan
  • Options
    I was offered $3000.00 for my ungraded xmen comic that had the third ever appearance of wolverine in it. Never sold it for sentimental value, plus whenever you have a rarity such as the poster and my comic. Hold on to it, it's a great hand me down.....
    9/29/1996 NY
    9/1&2/2000 Camden
    7/6/2003 Camden
    5/27/2006 Camden 6/1&3/2006 NJ
    6/19/2008 Camden, 6/22/2008 Washington DC, 6/25/2008 NY
    8/7/2008 Eddie Vedder NJ, 6/11/2008 Eddie Vedder Philly (3rd Row! Thanks 10c!!)
    10/28,30&31/2009 Philly
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832

when i was young and just starting my serious intrest in music and music art my mother gave me an original 1968 Washington Hilton Jimi Hendrix poster. she worked at a graphic artist's studio when she was younger and held on to a few prints that were headed for the trash (two hendrix, a joplin, blood sweat and tears, and a vanilla fudge) I had the hendrix framed and have had it on my various walls ever since.

as far as art goes this poster isnt that great. compared to some of the modern day posters its crappy....but its not modern day and its freakin HENDRIX...
    this poster is also dear to my heart because it came from my mother. it also happens to be so rare that in the future, even if i could afford it, i probably couldnt find another one to replace it.

so im writing all this in hopes of finding some help....i love the poster but isnt there a price? $6,000 is a lot of money....

any thoughts....

my collection with the other 1968s...they are pretty interesting, very cheap concerts...steve miller was an opener....

Definitely hold onto it...it's not entirely saying but it's kinda like saying a memory of your mother is worth $6,000 or whatever the amount
    If it were me, I'd frame it, put it in a family room and cherish it in every home you live in for the rest of your life
    And like you said, it's HENDRIX
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    I'd hold on to it. Your poster is the investment. Infinitely cooler than a stock!
  • Options
    papasan wrote:
    I'd hold on to it. Your poster is the investment. Infinitely cooler than a stock!
    I don't know. My dad trading in milk right now is pretty cool haha. ;)
    Nathan
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    In light of the recent passing of the last living Hendrix band member, i think your investment just rose in value again... Hold it!! It didnt cost you anything... it is an investment.. Display it, enjoy it and one day, when you really really need it and there is no other alternative, then you can/should sell it..

Sounds like it gives you great pleasure already... keep it going..
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    Wow ,That is very cool!!! Display and enjoy your family heirloom...
  • Options
    Priceless! My father was with Jimi a hand full times in NY. Always heard the stories of how well my father was treated by Jimi. I was a major fan as a 10 year old, still am. Don't own anything personal from Hendrix through my father but any time I hear Hendrix I do think of my father (RIP). You would just have to see it for the reminder. PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT SELL!
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    DO NOT SELL THOSE POSTERS
    STORE THEM PROPERLY
    and make sure they are insured

unless of course you are about to be come homeless or have a terminal illness
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    no way would i let that go for any price unless my life depended on it

it's from your mom and it's hendrix!!

hell i have a 3rd edition of this that i got in high school 20 years ago that i won't part with....granted it's not worth 6 grand but sometimes it needs to be more about the money :)
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    Since everyone here is saying keep it so I will go the other way. I say make a copy of it and sell the Original. Take the copy hang it on your wall. Nobody will know the difference. If you know how to take a good photo(or know anyone who does) its not that hard. Get it printed on Mat paper and frame it up. Sure its worthless but it still serves the same purpose.

On the other hand, will you just blow the 6k? I mean if you are in dire straits and need the money then I say do it. Other than that, hang on to it(I would).
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    From a strictly financial standpoint, I would keep it. Even if you got $6,000 in cash for it, and invested it all - where would you put it in today's economy? My educated guess is that this poster will appreciate at a much higher rate than anything currently going. However, if you think you can time it right, if you can buy stocks at the "bottom" and be on the upswing of the business cylcle, that extra $6,000 could net you a healthy profit.
    13 MD, PHL I II, BK I II, BUF, PGH
    12 PHL
    11 EV PHL
    10 MSGI&II, NEW, Hartford, VA
    09 ACL, PHLI II III & IV
    08 CAMI & II, DC, MSG I & II, EV - NY I, Newark, DC I
    07 CHI
    06 CLE CAMI & II DC NJ I & II PIT CIN
    05 MTL OTW PHL
    04 PA
    03 ALB SC CAMI HER NJ
    00 JBII CAMI
  • Options
    what will serve you better? $6,000 or a poster? you can always make a copy of it. after all. it is just a thing. the memories and thoughts will always be there.

but if you do sell it. sell it and take a trip to a place you've never been. do something exciting with the money.
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393

any thoughts....

DUDE!!! SELL IT! 6 G's is a lot. Your probably not going to see that offer often and I would take it and make something really worthy out of the money. A two week vacation you'll never forget. An investment that could make the poster worth 12 G's Get that money for it and buy a 100 hedrix replacement and go strait to Costa Rica for a month.

Sell it.
  • Options
    damn this thread made the poster "hot today" on ebeans....whoa...i knew all the pearl jam ones made it before the 10c sales but damn

well thanks for all the advice...still unsure...i do realize that the offer wont come around very often...course one sold on ebay for damn close, i could always put it there if i really wanted to get rid of it...

dont worry, its properly framed, they all are, after i took some of the ebeans shots they were off the the framer....cost me a ton....

im not i dire straits financially....my business that i co-own is, but im still eating...

i liked the term "family heirloom"

well i definately didnt start this thread to brag and i really appreciate all the responses...one thing i was pondering underwater today was...its fuckin hendrix man!
  • Options
    JasonTeckJasonTeck St. Louis, MO Posts: 179
    I would keep it. It has sentimental value and even though it is not up to par by today's standards...it is a really cool piece of history and the value will only increase through the years.

If I lucked out and got something like that I would not sell it. But I look at the posters I have not as an investment, but a sentimental reminder of a special concert/event that I went to. Yours has a different sentimental value and a great story...basically a piece of trash that is worth six grand!
    1992 - Lollapalooza - St. Louis
    1994 - St. Louis
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza - Chicago
    2008 - Eddie Vedder Solo - Chicago
    2010 - St. Louis
    2011 - Eddie Vedder Solo - St. Louis
    2014 - St. Louis
    2016 - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
    2018 - Wrigley Field - Chicago
    2022 - St. Louis & Oklahoma City
    2023 - Chicago N1 & N2
  • Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,016
    check with a major auction house before selling, ie Heritage / Christies....

6k may be a lil' light...

In a major pop culture auction you might get more ....

M
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    sell them all and blow the money on weed.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    sell them all and blow the money on weed.

i blow way to much cash on weed as it is....cough, cough....

besides, with that amount of money, you blow it on blow...