Firebird X!

gimpy_boy89gimpy_boy89 Posts: 64
edited October 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Being that we're hours away from the 'bird landing, are any of you gearheads actually gonna buy one of these? It's a cool idea if you're into it, i guess.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Firebird/Gibson-USA/Firebird-X.aspx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT40AK--UK3FvrjdpchhygM53yKWU5CFeYvKFsXIYiLH5e8vFQ0dMDp9Lc-HQ

I don't object to the technology apart from the fact that the guitar is inherently doomed to obsolescence which is the downside of all digital technology.

I object to the ugly.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    i'd rather have a classic firebird.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Yeah, would much rather have the new non-reverse Firebirds with the P90s they have out now.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    Yeah, would much rather have the new non-reverse Firebirds with the P90s they have out now.

THIS!
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
  • LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    exhausted wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT40AK--UK3FvrjdpchhygM53yKWU5CFeYvKFsXIYiLH5e8vFQ0dMDp9Lc-HQ

AND THIS!
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
  • no thanks, i like my firebirds like i like my women. smokin' hot yet traditional.

like this one....

http://killervintage.com/index.php?opti ... 6&Itemid=8

i've actually played that one a few times. i just don't have the $16 grand for it...

he had a red one from '65 i think and it sold for $22 grand.. eeek...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    no thanks, i like my firebirds like i like my women. smokin' hot yet traditional.

like this one....

i've actually played that one a few times. i just don't have the $16 grand for it...

I've never played a Firebird, then again, I'm generally more of a Fender dude (not to say I dislike Gibsons, I just tend to prefer single coils)
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the only proper firebird...

tom%20petty2.jpg
    exhausted wrote:
    the only proper firebird...

tom%20petty2.jpg
    Sexy.
  • no thanks, i like my firebirds like i like my women. smokin' hot yet traditional.

like this one....

I've never played a Firebird, then again, I'm generally more of a Fender dude (not to say I dislike Gibsons, I just tend to prefer single coils)
    i love firebirds. the reverse ones that is... the original non-reverse ones just look weird to me, while the reverse ones look proper to me...

i was looking at them pretty hard a few years ago and i could not decide between a V or VII. it basically came down to do i want the machineheads on the back of the headstock or do i want a vibratto, or do i want 3 mini humbuckers or 2 regular ones??? and i could not make up my mind, so i bought another les paul instead.

• i was looking at them pretty hard a few years ago and i could not decide between a V or VII. it basically came down to do i want the machineheads on the back of the headstock or do i want a vibratto, or do i want 3 mini humbuckers or 2 regular ones??? and i could not make up my mind, so i bought another les paul instead.

With the Firebird X, you'd never have to decide between two guitars again! Allegedly, it does them all with its onboard effects and processors! Never again will tone have to reside solely in your fingers!

But seriously, it could be a cool idea if it didn't carry such a huge pricetag and didn't look like a child's toy. Maybe I'll get one when they tank and the price drops to sell off their stock.
  • i was looking at them pretty hard a few years ago and i could not decide between a V or VII. it basically came down to do i want the machineheads on the back of the headstock or do i want a vibratto, or do i want 3 mini humbuckers or 2 regular ones??? and i could not make up my mind, so i bought another les paul instead.

With the Firebird X, you'd never have to decide between two guitars again! Allegedly, it does them all with its onboard effects and processors! Never again will tone have to reside solely in your fingers!

But seriously, it could be a cool idea if it didn't carry such a huge pricetag and didn't look like a child's toy. Maybe I'll get one when they tank and the price drops to sell off their stock.
    it seems like a cool idea, but to me it just seems that with all the bells and whistles there is just too much that can go wrong. if something on there goes bad or breaks do you know how pricey that would be to have repaired? i think i will stick with my old school guitars. that way if something happens i can just call my guitar tech and have him fix it for me same day.

• it seems like a cool idea, but to me it just seems that with all the bells and whistles there is just too much that can go wrong. if something on there goes bad or breaks do you know how pricey that would be to have repaired? i think i will stick with my old school guitars. that way if something happens i can just call my guitar tech and have him fix it for me same day.

Are you saying you're not intrigued by third party apps for your guitar? But I agree, even if those robot tuners crap out it's gonna be an expensive fix. It'd be kinda cool to hang on a wall and keep for fifty years, though, as a testament to R&D (or lack thereof).
  • it seems like a cool idea, but to me it just seems that with all the bells and whistles there is just too much that can go wrong. if something on there goes bad or breaks do you know how pricey that would be to have repaired? i think i will stick with my old school guitars. that way if something happens i can just call my guitar tech and have him fix it for me same day.

Are you saying you're not intrigued by third party apps for your guitar? But I agree, even if those robot tuners crap out it's gonna be an expensive fix. It'd be kinda cool to hang on a wall and keep for fifty years, though, as a testament to R&D (or lack thereof).
    haha it is intriguing, but just not for me. i have a hard enough time using line 6 stuff, and the one thing that has never let me down in a live setting is my guitar, so i don't want to introduce a bunch of new variables into my live rig, ya know? gremlins are hard enough to catch as it is. but i am curious enough about it that if the guitar store had a display model i would defnintely spend some time playing it.

and lol at testament to r&d/lack thereof.

i think i kind of feel the same way about this guitar as i did about the metal spaceship looking randy rhoads roswell guitar from a few years back...

http://guitarcollecting.co.uk/2009/12/2 ... ll-rhoads/

it seems like a cool idea, but to me it just seems that with all the bells and whistles there is just too much that can go wrong. if something on there goes bad or breaks do you know how pricey that would be to have repaired? i think i will stick with my old school guitars. that way if something happens i can just call my guitar tech and have him fix it for me same day.

haha it is intriguing, but just not for me. i have a hard enough time using line 6 stuff, and the one thing that has never let me down in a live setting is my guitar, so i don't want to introduce a bunch of new variables into my live rig, ya know? gremlins are hard enough to catch as it is. but i am curious enough about it that if the guitar store had a display model i would defnintely spend some time playing it.

and lol at testament to r&d/lack thereof.

i think i kind of feel the same way about this guitar as i did about the metal spaceship looking randy rhoads roswell guitar from a few years back...

For me I think...
    "Why the fuck do I need all that?"

I like effects, but I have them on the floor. I have a Single coil axe, a P90 axe, and a Humbucker axe. Run them through a nice tube amp, and rock... Why do I need to be playing a computer?
  • ... Why do I need to be playing a computer?

I could ask USS and Girl Talk the same question. But for some reason they draw bigger crowds than most real bands.

I think the main idea behind the Firebird X is to have an all-in-one guitar to record with on the go, so all you need is the computer to save your recordings. I sure wouldn't want to rely on all that battery-operated tomfoolery onstage, too much room for failure.
    ... Why do I need to be playing a computer?

I could ask USS and Girl Talk the same question. But for some reason they draw bigger crowds than most real bands.

I think the main idea behind the Firebird X is to have an all-in-one guitar to record with on the go, so all you need is the computer to save your recordings. I sure wouldn't want to rely on all that battery-operated tomfoolery onstage, too much room for failure.
    I caught Girl Talk this summer, for what it was I actually had a blast.

And if you're recording on the go, then do you really need that many effects? Plug into an interface/podfarm and you're good to go, and with about $3000 in your pocket!
  • I caught Girl Talk this summer, for what it was I actually had a blast.

And if you're recording on the go, then do you really need that many effects? Plug into an interface/podfarm and you're good to go, and with about $3000 in your pocket!

I just can't get behind someone who plays other people's music on a laptop while he jumps around onstage. Must be the music snob in me.

And the conventional recording approach is what's gonna kill the Firebird X, amongst other things. Like its ugliness.
    I caught Girl Talk this summer, for what it was I actually had a blast.

I just can't get behind someone who plays other people's music on a laptop while he jumps around onstage. Must be the music snob in me.

And the conventional recording approach is what's gonna kill the Firebird X, amongst other things. Like its ugliness.
    Do I view it as a concert? No, it's more like going to a dance party/club, and I had fun with it.

Having said that, seeing ?uestlove DJ at Ritual the night of the Roots set was a million times better. Great selection of tunes/grooves (too bad the bar sucks).
  • Do I view it as a concert? No, it's more like going to a dance party/club, and I had fun with it.

Having said that, seeing ?uestlove DJ at Ritual the night of the Roots set was a million times better. Great selection of tunes/grooves (too bad the bar sucks).

Never been, but then again I've only been to Maverick's and Zaphod's. I haven't even been to Heart and Crown haha
    Do I view it as a concert? No, it's more like going to a dance party/club, and I had fun with it.

Never been, but then again I've only been to Maverick's and Zaphod's. I haven't even been to Heart and Crown haha
    Don't go, drinks are weak as shit/expensive plus security are dicks (I don't mind tight security, but they're just dicks).

Zaphod's is the place to be, Mavericks is good for the shows, but not a place to hang out (my opinion of course). Live Lounge is a good spot as well.
  • and lol at testament to r&d/lack thereof.

That HAS to be the one of the ugliest guitars I've ever seen. Probably has no resonance either. At least the X would have some resonance to it (I assume it's made of real wood, although I have no proof).