2024-2025 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,673
    fife wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Also, the whole contract length thing is comical. If the owners don't like these long term contracts, then DON'T FUCKING SIGN GUYS TO 13 YEAR CONTRACTS. Pretty simple.

they cant do that. It would be illegal. The framwork of the CBA needs to put limits on things such as that.

yes your right that it is illegal. I don't think the 5 year max contract is actually that big of an issue. I think we all know that it will be 6 years max and 8 year for signing your own players. similar to the NBA

I think that would be perfectly fair.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    MayDay10 wrote:
    fife wrote:
    yes your right that it is illegal. I don't think the 5 year max contract is actually that big of an issue. I think we all know that it will be 6 years max and 8 year for signing your own players. similar to the NBA

except daly said that the contract limit is the "hill they'll die on" ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    fife wrote:

except daly said that the contract limit is the "hill they'll die on" ...

yeah, he did say that, but maybe just to create a perception that moving to 6 years is a huge step.

I think theyll get it done within 14 days
  • MayDay10 wrote:

I think theyll get it done within 14 days

As shitty as everything is right now, I agree with you. They are way too close to not make a deal. Let all these egomaniacs cool off for a few days and then get back at it next week.
    it's really too bad these negotiations are being played out at the expense of the fans ... what with twitter and social media now - it's like that girl in high school who wanted to be friends but then maybe a bit more but maybe not ... just make up your damn mind ... i don't have a car ok ... i can fit you on my bike ... deal with it ... ok - i digress ... :lol:

it's clear that the owners are trying to break this union ... they are trying to bust it wide open ... both sides should just stfu and don't bother saying anything until a deal is either done or they cancel the season ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    MayDay10 wrote:
    they cant "agree" to keep low contract lengths out there. Thats collusion and players' and agents' lawyers would be all over the NHL

With the cap, teams who can afford risk keep tacking on more and more years. There is currently no limit, so that is one way for these teams to up the ante (and stretch into a players' retirement years). Now the smaller market teams, in order to not lose their players and fans are forced to keep up and also provide matching long-terms.

Plus you see players playing hard, signing on for 10 years, then cruise control. f-that. For a fan, a term limit is good IMO.

It's only collusion if they discuss with other owners their intentions and all owners agree to do the same thing ... nothing says an owner can't tell his GM "no contracts longer than 5 years", the owners are just looking to protect themselves from each other.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    polaris_x wrote:
    it's really too bad these negotiations are being played out at the expense of the fans ... what with twitter and social media now - it's like that girl in high school who wanted to be friends but then maybe a bit more but maybe not ... just make up your damn mind ... i don't have a car ok ... i can fit you on my bike ... deal with it ... ok - i digress ... :lol:

it's clear that the owners are trying to break this union ... they are trying to bust it wide open ... both sides should just stfu and don't bother saying anything until a deal is either done or they cancel the season ...

I agree. They are definitely playing on the fans. Intentionally. At least last time, we had only Eklund's lies to keep us "informed"

I know I chime in a lot here... but I really dont care all that much whether they play or not.
    I get excited when they are close.... but not really disappointed when it becomes posturing. I feel more like I want to see both sides cut off their noses to spite their faces.
    I have like $2300 in my tickets and the less they play, the more extra money I have.
    If a deal gets done it won't be till the middle of January ... then the season will be just long enough that the season looks meaningful ... they'll only have to pay a third of the salaries ... and make big money in the playoffs.

Also would not be totally surprised if season is wiped out.

As long as Jacobs and Snider continue their hardline approach a deal will be very difficult to get done at this point.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

Don Cherry’s never seen Gary Bettman like this before.

The Hockey Night in Canada commentator took to Twitter on Thursday night to comment on the NHL commissioner’s heated news conference in New York City.

“I have known Gary Bettman since he was named commissioner,” Cherry wrote. “I have never seen him so livid as he was tonight at the press conference.

“He was almost shaking. That was no act.”

Bettman held the conference after two days of intense but optimistic negotiations with the NHL Players’ Association fell apart.

Union head Donald Fehr held a news conference in the early evening when he said the NHLPA had tabled an offer that he felt made real progress to ending the 82-day old lockout.

Minutes later, Fehr spoke to the assembled media again, saying the owners had rejected the offer.

Bettman then held a third news conference where he explained the NHL’s reasons for turning down the NHLPA’s offer and took some shots at his union counterpart.

Cherry theorized on Twitter as to what happened with the owners behind the scene.

“There were owners who I’ll call doves who were against the hawks. The hawks said ok we’ll do it your way and the doves put an extra 100 million on the table and when the association said ok but . . . The doves turned into hawks themselves,” Cherry wrote. “I believe the hardliners said to the doves ok we did it your way and the association thinks we are weak . . .

“Now we’ll do it our way . . . ”

The former Boston Bruins coach then added: “Looks like I will see a lot more of Marlies, Junior and Minor Midget games this year.”

Cherry was still tweeting on the situation Friday morning.

“The fans are blaming Fehr for the situation we are in now. Remember I said a month ago I don’t like the sound that Fehr didn’t come out of retirement to lose.

“I’ve got a solution so Fehr won’t be blamed. Have a secret ballot, yes I said secret ballot. If you take a show of hands you’re not going to say nay if the guy in front says yay. Guys don’t want to look like a chicken and caving into the NHL.

“If the vote says we carry on with the fight we carry on the war. If the vote says let’s accept the offer, accept it. Majority rules I think that’s the way it should be. With a secret ballot you have nothing to lose!”

I agree with everything Coach says there.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Hawks and doves? What the hell are you talking about Donald?

I'm not a Grapes hater, but I have a feeling he's smoking something. There is no other explanation for some of the shit he wears.

don_cherry_march_7.jpg?w=464&h=302

This one really brings out Ron's bald spot
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    lukin2006 wrote:

“I have known Gary Bettman since he was named commissioner,” Cherry wrote. “I have never seen him so livid as he was tonight at the press conference.

THIS is what I'm so tired of hearing from both the NHL and the NHLPA/players. As fans we have no media outlet that will turn back to Gary Bettman and say, "IMAGINE HOW WE FEEL AS FANS, ASSHOLES!" They are all such children.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
    With Cherry most people either love him or hate him ... I would say most love him ... Don knows hockey, he knows how these owners think ... he been apart of professional hockey for probably close to 60 years now. I also think if the NHL listened to him about equipment we'd see a better game and less concussions.

drivingrl wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

THIS is what I'm so tired of hearing from both the NHL and the NHLPA/players. As fans we have no media outlet that will turn back to Gary Bettman and say, "IMAGINE HOW WE FEEL AS FANS, ASSHOLES!" They are all such children.

I agree ... as I've said before billionaires fighting millionaires ... the fans, stadium workers, bar owners, service staff are the real losers.

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    lukin2006 wrote:
    With Cherry most people either love him or hate him ... I would say most love him ... Don knows hockey, he knows how these owners think ... he been apart of professional hockey for probably close to 60 years now. I also think if the NHL listened to him about equipment we'd see a better game and less concussions.

I miss Don Cherry. Fucking Smalbany.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    So here is a question, at what point does the sport media ask really questions to Bettman and also Fuhr. For example, I would love to hear bettman answer the questions "If the owners are willing to die on the 5 year contract why did they sign players in the summer to 6 year deals?" also I would love to hear him answer this question. "Why should the players pay for the mistakes of owners?"

I would also love to hear people ask Fuhr the following questions. "why don't you let the players vote on the NHL proposal considering you keep saying that you work for them"

Finally, " would you be willing to let the NHL lose teams if it meant that some players would lose their job but you would not have to deal with lockouts all the time"
    fife wrote:
    So here is a question, at what point does the sport media ask really questions to Bettman and also Fuhr. For example, I would love to hear bettman answer the questions "If the owners are willing to die on the 5 year contract why did they sign players in the summer to 6 year deals?" also I would love to hear him answer this question. "Why should the players pay for the mistakes of owners?"

I would also love to hear people ask Fuhr the following questions. "why don't you let the players vote on the NHL proposal considering you keep saying that you work for them"

Finally, " would you be willing to let the NHL lose teams if it meant that some players would lose their job but you would not have to deal with lockouts all the time"

did you watch the daly/bettman news conference!? ... you can ask the questions - your not necessarily gonna get an answer ... remember, these guys are lawyers to begin with ... speaking openly and honestly is not in their framework ... :lol:
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

did you watch the daly/bettman news conference!? ... you can ask the questions - your not necessarily gonna get an answer ... remember, these guys are lawyers to begin with ... speaking openly and honestly is not in their framework ... :lol:

I did watch the news conference and was pissed off. If I was the media I would keep asking these questions but no one seems to ask the hard questions.

I still think there is a deal but to be honest, I see teams going broke.
    ultimately, they are apart 3 years on contract length, 15% in variance from highest $ year to lowest $ year, and 2 years of CBA length.

Its almost over, but we will likely lose 2 more weeks of the season due to both sides acting like the butthurt brigade
    fife wrote:
    I did watch the news conference and was pissed off. If I was the media I would keep asking these questions but no one seems to ask the hard questions.

I still think there is a deal but to be honest, I see teams going broke.

well ... it's a fine line because if you ask the tough questions - you run the risk of getting blacklisted ... and when bettman doesn't want to answer or like your question - you are gonna get a snide response ... don't get me wrong ... i agree wholeheartedly with you but it's just not gonna happen with two lawyers in charge ...
    http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumo ... o-exchange

I personally hate Doug Maclean. the guy is such an idiot.
    Crosby has now indicated he's thinking of playing in Europe ... My guess is if he's heading to Europe then they must be still pretty far apart.

DS1119 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Watch on CBC.ca ... I don't know if CBC blocks user from the States.

lukin2006 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I'll have to give that a shot tonight...oh yeah there's no fucking game. :fp: :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I'll have to give that a shot tonight...oh yeah there's no fucking game. :fp: :lol:

They usually have past coaches corner ... when the season returns, they live stream their games.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/07 ... n-the-ice/

Dear Diary: ‘Why won’t you dim-witted goons just get back on the ice?!’

The National Post re-imagines a week in the life of a newsmaker. Today, Tristin Hopper looks at the week through the eyes of NHL commissioner Gary Bettman:

Monday
    I had a nightmare I was at game six of the 1967 Stanley Cup finals. There I was, sitting at ice level on the hard seats of the Montreal Forum. It was so … primitive. The boards sat uselessly unadorned — not an ad in sight! And the television coverage; a single CBC camera crew covered the action. The fools! Didn’t they consider securing contracts in Europe or the American South! They didn’t even have third jerseys! I woke up in a cold sweat on the floating slab of platinum I use for a bed, but calmed myself down in a warm bath of children’s tears.

Tuesday
    At 6 a.m., my breakfast of panda prosciutto was interrupted when I got yet another cell phone call from Stephen Harper. “Hey Gary … I just wanted to say that we’re all really hopeful the lockout could end soon.” What a pathetic, sentimental fool. What kind of childish frozen backwater permits its leader to grovel to the feet of a second-rate sports league? I’ll tell you what kind; the same kind that would put a game of shinny on the back of its five-dollar bill. The U.S. dollar conquered the world. Do you think it has pictures of 10-pin bowling on the obverse?

Wednesday
    As a surprise, I decided to drop in on NHLPA negotiations, along with my good friend Eric Lindros. “Hey all,” I said. “Just here with my pal Eric Lindros, reminding you to quickly figure out an end to this horrible lockout. Eric would be really sad if you didn’t.” I expected that the arrival of a living legend would break the tension, but instead the players grew agitated and only wanted to know why he was wearing a red string around his neck, why he didn’t appear responsive — and whether I had anything to do with his mysterious abduction two months ago.

Thursday
    Peter Swinburn, the CEO of Molson-Coors, strolled into my office and crumpled to the floor. “I beg you,” he whimpered. “Make the hockey come back. Our customers, they’re … starting to drink wine!” I backhanded him across the face, telling him to be a man. At least he didn’t wet himself like the guy who makes those obnoxious car flags did. Later, I went to a meeting with the board of governors. My first item on the agenda: informing the board that one of my agents had spied a governor telling some reporter that “we should be playing hockey.” In front of the other governors, I delivered the requisite punishment: a $1-million fine and a forced performance of “I’m a Little Teapot” as I delivered paddle blows to his buttocks. Now … does anyone else want to tell the media whether or not we should be playing hockey?!

Friday
    Well, I’m disappointed that negotiations fell apart so quickly last night. But it’s important we just take a deep breath and … awww SCREW IT! I hate the NHLPA! I hate the fans! … I HATE THIS WHOLE DAMNED GAME! Why won’t you dim-witted goons just get back on the ice?! You should be packing fans into Madison Square Garden rather than prancing around for a bunch of piddly European leagues! I AM hockey! You NEED me. Without Bettman you would be a bunch of drunken beer-leaguers begging for pretzels at the Winter Classic! … which reminds me; I should go feed Lindros.

National Post

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    Well overall I would say they had a successful week. :lol:
    its probably going to get resolved this week or next.

Im really hoping the NHL wins on the CBA length of 8-10 years and also contracts at no more than 6 at UFA or 8 re-signing. I dont like the eternal contracts that are becoming mandatory to signing a good/decent player, and I really like the idea of giving the players' current teams such a leg-up. It will definitely encourage more trades, and less FA movement, which is great IMO.

With the variance, the NHL wants 5%, the NHLPA wants 25%. I dont see a huge issue there, especially if contract length is limited.