Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:
    I’m no rules expert but a) I didn’t think Kolesar’s hit deserved a game misconduct or b) VGK could survive a 5 minute power play. incredibly dumb penalty to take, in any case.

to me, refs blew the non-goal call in the Leafs game, too.
    1.  I thought it was a 5 minute major.  Was it a game misconduct too?  If so, agreed.  5 minutes was warranted.  I don't think it was malicious, but it was bad luck and injury is part of the rule.  He was hurt.

2. You saw the puck cross?
    I thought I did. Didn’t they say it had but a whistle had blown?

Yes and wasn't that view well after the play?  I just never saw a view where the puck crossed as part of the play.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I just went back and watched the TSN coverage and I didn't see it there either.  
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:
    I’m no rules expert but a) I didn’t think Kolesar’s hit deserved a game misconduct or b) VGK could survive a 5 minute power play. incredibly dumb penalty to take, in any case.

1.  I thought it was a 5 minute major.  Was it a game misconduct too?  If so, agreed.  5 minutes was warranted.  I don't think it was malicious, but it was bad luck and injury is part of the rule.  He was hurt.

The puck went in. No whistle was ever blown. The leafs coaching staff were given 2 different reasons for the no-goal call. 2 years in a row leafs had a goal called back in heartbreaking fashion. Nhl needs technology like tennis and soccer
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:

Yes and wasn't that view well after the play?  I just never saw a view where the puck crossed as part of the play.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I just went back and watched the TSN coverage and I didn't see it there either.  
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:

The puck went in. No whistle was ever blown. The leafs coaching staff were given 2 different reasons for the no-goal call. 2 years in a row leafs had a goal called back in heartbreaking fashion. Nhl needs technology like tennis and soccer
    looks like we have a he said, he said. my judgement is untrustworthy….I was drinking, at the time.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I'm no hockey expert, but it looks like the loser streak for Canada will continue for another year...

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    I’m all in on the VGK but this possible all warm weather final four kinda sucks.

except for the VGK. :wink:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Hoping Kraken wins tonight game 7! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,140
    Go Kraken!
  • Options
    I feel like if the Kraken go to the finals, we'll get a Mike solo anthem :)

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,421
    Can we get an expansion team?

-Flyers fan
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,222
    And if they play the Leafs he could do Oh Canada on the guitar as well....oh wait.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    And if they play the Leafs he could do Oh Canada on the guitar as well....oh wait.
    haha as unlikely as pearl jam playing "pry, to" on the next tour

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited May 2023
    You gave me a reason to cheer for the Kraken lol. 
    Otherwise I’d have no use for any of these teams left. Come to think of it, if Seattle wins, this is Gary Bettman’s wet dream final four. 

Won’t bother him if Dallas is there either, of course. All of these teams are part of his Southern US growth strategy (started when the North Stars moved to Dallas in ‘93). Bettman has his detractors, but he has made the NHL owners a shit-ton of money and that’s his job. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited May 2023
    Not playoff related… always knew my Canucks would be good golfers, one playoff series win in 12 years will do that, but now they are trying to qualify for major championships. 

• Options
    Nothing better than game 7! Damn what a blast from Hintz 
  • Options
    average May high temps:

vegas 90
    ft. lauderdale 85
    dallas 84
    raleigh 79

stanley cup will be even warmer.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    average May high temps:

vegas 90
    ft. lauderdale 85
    dallas 84
    raleigh 79

stanley cup will be even warmer.
    Crazy 
  • Options
    The new arena deal for the Coyotes fell through...again. For the life of me I can't understand why they have a team and Québec City does not. One of the all time greatest rivalries was Montreal-Québec. I was just at the arena last fall for Eddie and the pearl jams...amazing venue.

• Options
    The new arena deal for the Coyotes fell through...again. For the life of me I can't understand why they have a team and Québec City does not. One of the all time greatest rivalries was Montreal-Québec. I was just at the arena last fall for Eddie and the pearl jams...amazing venue.
    PHX doesn’t deserve a team.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Quebec City isnt going to get them.  

It'll probably be Houston, with a Dark Horse of Salt Lake City.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Clearly not at this point. Why would they want an actual hockey city anyways? 

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    quebec population 884k
    houston 2.28 million
    hmmm, wonder if that has anything to do with it...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    I guess that's why I watch maybe 80% less hockey than I used to - and i know it's my problem only, because clearly @a5pj and @MayDay10, you guys make sense in your reasoning. But it's insane to me that they got rid of  the hockey equivalent of Wrigley and Fenway (The Forum and the Maple Leaf Gardens), got rid of the Nordiques when not only did all of the surrounding area in Quebec came to watch, but also yours truly in the Maritimes because it was the closest team to us. But I get it, make you money, get your luxury boxes etc. I just wish some things would be too important historically to mess with. 

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,421
    Quebec should have a team. It's not even interesting with all these dumb sunbelt teams deep into the playoffs.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    In a perfect world, for general flavor of the league, and nostalgia, I would have Quebec in there.  But I do see the prudence that it makes little business sense for the NHL.  Plus, they would also probably need a multi-billionaire person to be willing to buy a team and relocate them to QC.

The US TV market is what wins the day.  Also the creation of new fans.  Say what you will about southern expansion, it has certainly had a few bumps... but it has also had some amazing success stories and has created a lot of new hockey fans.  Believe it or not, Houston actually has a somewhat ingrained hockey interest and Gordie Howe played there.
    The other location that has been mentioned (along with Atlanta where I dont think it is going to go) is Salt Lake City.

My son played in a AAA hockey tournament last weekend from kids from all around the country.  There was a kid from South Florida who went to a Panthers game when he was 5 and instantly decided that hockey was his jam.  Another similar story with Southern CA and Anaheim.  Another kid came from Texas.   

• Options
    100% agree that there are lots of success stories for non Traditional hockey markets in the US - hell I remember watching a Pittsburgh-Columbus playoff game a few years back, and being amazed at how "Canadian hockey fan" crazy the crowd was in Columbus. The Hurricanes fans are great too. It's awesome to have new fans discover the game. 

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    Quebec should have a team. It's not even interesting with all these dumb sunbelt teams deep into the playoffs.
    Why?  It's the same players that would otherwise be playing in the northern tier.  Do you really think that having a team in Quebec City would be healthier for the league than Tampa?  Not a chance.  
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,757
    Not interesting? To each his own. 2 out of 4 teams have never won a cup. I’m loving these playoffs. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Why?  It's the same players that would otherwise be playing in the northern tier.  Do you really think that having a team in Quebec City would be healthier for the league than Tampa?  Not a chance.  
    Also, the players themselves seem to prefer living and working in nicer and warmer cities (self-own, I know coming from Buffalo).  Quebec City would just be another outpost like Winnipeg and Edmonton.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I live in Salt Lake and have heard zero rumors of this. the current flavor is MLB. I’d rather get an NHL team.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,140
    I think Florida will win it, they had the pressure last year with #1 seed, Presidents curse.....they are loose this time around

I think the Eastern teams, whoever makes it will have a slightly better chance to win it