Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    I really do hope Bedard pulls a Lindros and says he's not playing for that garbage organization. I can't imagine that will happen...but Chicago should have been punished waaaay more harshly for what they did. 
    You think he'd have chosen Columbus or Anaheim over Chicago if it were up to him?
    I don't.
    If he wants to be as high profile as possible, he needs to be on a marquee franchise, that's why David Stern rigged the lottery for him to end up in Chicago. Columbus and Anaheim would be too obscure of landing spots for him.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Chicago was probably the best case scenario for Bedard and the NHL.  Its a great city, storied keystone franchise and all that.  Philadelphia would have been 2nd probably.

I do not believe it is/was fixed at all.  Honestly, 8 or the 11 teams eligible could have had calls for conspiracy.  They have an independent accounting firm over-seeing the process.  A lot of people are involved and would need to be quiet.  Ownership of many teams would also not just allow Bettman to send premium draft picks wherever he pleases.  McDavid going to Edmonton, which was the worst case for both the NHL and him, should prove there is no fix.

Im glad they reformatted it so that teams that barely missed the playoffs cannot get 1OA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHySdt4YLAI
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    MayDay10 said:
    Chicago was probably the best case scenario for Bedard and the NHL.  Its a great city, storied keystone franchise and all that.  Philadelphia would have been 2nd probably.

I do not believe it is/was fixed at all.  Honestly, 8 or the 11 teams eligible could have had calls for conspiracy.  They have an independent accounting firm over-seeing the process.  A lot of people are involved and would need to be quiet.  Ownership of many teams would also not just allow Bettman to send premium draft picks wherever he pleases.  McDavid going to Edmonton, which was the worst case for both the NHL and him, should prove there is no fix.

Im glad they reformatted it so that teams that barely missed the playoffs cannot get 1OA.

Yeah I don't buy that either. 
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,853
    Here's my simple solution to the drafting odds, tell me what you think.
    Once a team is eliminated from the playoffs - keep track of their points, whoever has the most gets 1st draft pick, and so on from there. Eliminates "tanking", removes odds of 1st draft pick, and it keeps the playoff race interesting because all teams still have to play hard.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    a5pj said:
    Once a team is eliminated from the playoffs - keep track of their points, whoever has the most gets 1st draft pick, and so on from there. Eliminates "tanking", removes odds of 1st draft pick, and it keeps the playoff race interesting because all teams still have to play hard.
    So you're saying give the #17 team in the league the first pick?  Does that mean the last place team gets the worst lottery pick?
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Poncier said:
    I really do hope Bedard pulls a Lindros and says he's not playing for that garbage organization. I can't imagine that will happen...but Chicago should have been punished waaaay more harshly for what they did. 
     that's why David Stern rigged the lottery for him to end up in Chicago.

What?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited May 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    a5pj said:
    So you're saying give the #17 team in the league the first pick?  Does that mean the last place team gets the worst lottery pick?
    No.  This gets mentioned a lot, but in practice, I dont think it will ever happen for various reasons.  It would affect the trade deadline, and there also inequities with each conference being different.  I also wonder if there would be a mini-tank to get eliminated quicker.

So basically, this year, say Columbus is mathematically eliminated on February 5th.  Their next game they begin to amass points for draft positioning.  Maybe Anaheim joins the fray 2 weeks later, but Columbus has a 5 game head start.  Teams slowly get eliminated and amass points.  Buffalo was eliminated the last weekend of the season and won their last game, so they would only have 2 points.  The most points gets the 1OA pick.

For me, I dont think tanking is a big issue.  It is a high risk, and it is tough to get back up in the NHL with 1 or 2 players.  The last place team only has like a 28% chance to get 1OA.  

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    So are the leafs winning tonight?

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    a5pj said:
    No.  This gets mentioned a lot, but in practice, I dont think it will ever happen for various reasons.  It would affect the trade deadline, and there also inequities with each conference being different.  I also wonder if there would be a mini-tank to get eliminated quicker.

So basically, this year, say Columbus is mathematically eliminated on February 5th.  Their next game they begin to amass points for draft positioning.  Maybe Anaheim joins the fray 2 weeks later, but Columbus has a 5 game head start.  Teams slowly get eliminated and amass points.  Buffalo was eliminated the last weekend of the season and won their last game, so they would only have 2 points.  The most points gets the 1OA pick.

Oh I see.  Meh.  I don't have an issue with the way things are done now using a lottery.  Sure, maybe some teams tank.  But if you are weak and in a weak division, your opportunity to gain points is hampered because you are eliminated later.  
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Jumb0 said:
    Poncier said:
     that's why David Stern rigged the lottery for him to end up in Chicago.

What?
    It's a call back to Patrick Ewing and the frozen envelopes that landed him in NY.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    The one reason i know the lottery isn't rigged is that run of 3 straight #1 picks that Edmonton got a decade or so ago. Like someone mentioned earlier, no way Bettman would rig that scenario. 

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    MayDay10 said:

Yeah if it was rigged Bettman would have sent him to his pet project Coyotes that he just won't give up on.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Let's hope not!
  • Options
    Rygar said:
    Let's hope not!

lol I have no horse in this race - my team ceased to exist in the 90s, so it's mostly for entertainment purposes now :)

• Options
    Rygar said:
    Let's hope not!

lol I have no horse in this race - my team ceased to exist in the 90s, so it's mostly for entertainment purposes now :)
    My team sucks, when it's playoff time I typically just root against teams, not for teams (although I'm going for the Oilers).
    I can't get behind the Leafs under almost any circumstance though.
  • Options
    Rygar said:
    Rygar said:
    Let's hope not!

My team sucks, when it's playoff time I typically just root against teams, not for teams (although I'm going for the Oilers).
    I'll get behind them winning, only because the Canes (if they win 1 more) will be playing them or the cats. The more run down they are the better it is for the Canes :)

• Options
    a5pj said:
    Rygar said:
    Rygar said:
    Let's hope not!

I'll get behind them winning, only because the Canes (if they win 1 more) will be playing them or the cats. The more run down they are the better it is for the Canes :)
    And this is a valid reason for cheering for a team you don't like.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    To be clear, I never said the draft was rigged. I said Chicago ownership didn’t pay a steep enough price for what happened and how they had it all swept under the rug. That’s just business. Vancouver’s owner has been accused of abusing his children and that hasn’t gotten any play either. 
    Billionaires being billionaires. It’s why I haven’t paid to see a hockey game or bought pro hockey merch in a decade. Fuck em 
  • Options
    Yeah that's what I meant earlier when i said that Bedard should pull a Lindros. It's not about what would be better logistically for him, or that Chicago is the best choice for the league financially speaking. They 100% did not pay a steep enough price for what happened - hell they made back the 2 mil fine they had to pay within a few hours of the Bedard news. 

• Options
    Yeah that's what I meant earlier when i said that Bedard should pull a Lindros. It's not about what would be better logistically for him, or that Chicago is the best choice for the league financially speaking. They 100% did not pay a steep enough price for what happened - hell they made back the 2 mil fine they had to pay within a few hours of the Bedard news. 
    You're both right.
    I saw that about the financials too, I think it was 5m they made in a few hours of Bedard?
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,436
    I'm no Leafs fan (fu Darcy Tucker) and definitely still bitter about '85 & '87 but this Canadian Stanley Cup drought is downright Philadelphian - it'd be fun if the Florida Panther blew a 3-0 lead and Vegas needs to lose. And it's fun to watch the Oilers - their players are exciting and their uniforms rock. And I love singing O Canada (ducks). I feel like I want it to happen for your country.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I'm no Leafs fan (fu Darcy Tucker) and definitely still bitter about '85 & '87 but this Canadian Stanley Cup drought is downright Philadelphian - it'd be fun if the Florida Panther blew a 3-0 lead and Vegas needs to lose. And it's fun to watch the Oilers - their players are exciting and their uniforms rock. And I love singing O Canada (ducks). I feel like I want it to happen for your country.
    O Canada 10x better than SSB
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I told my wife that exact thing last night as we watched the Oilers game start.  I love the Canadian anthem.  I think it's beautiful.  Ours is just weird.  America the Beautiful or God Bless America would be much better.  

I love singing the last line as loud as I can... in the house.  My kids hate it but I get all vibrato.  
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    mrussel1 said:
    I told my wife that exact thing last night as we watched the Oilers game start.  I love the Canadian anthem.  I think it's beautiful.  Ours is just weird.  America the Beautiful or God Bless America would be much better.  

I love singing the last line as loud as I can... in the house.  My kids hate it but I get all vibrato.  
    scrap ‘em both.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Well, totally thought Canes game 5 was tonight, they won last night and are in the conf finals. some fan I am lol

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,436
    a5pj said:
    Well, totally thought Canes game 5 was tonight, they won last night and are in the conf finals. some fan I am lol
    Sounds about right - lol
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    a5pj said:
    so happy for you :angry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I’m no rules expert but a) I didn’t think Kolesar’s hit deserved a game misconduct or b) VGK could survive a 5 minute power play. incredibly dumb penalty to take, in any case.

to me, refs blew the non-goal call in the Leafs game, too.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    I’m no rules expert but a) I didn’t think Kolesar’s hit deserved a game misconduct or b) VGK could survive a 5 minute power play. incredibly dumb penalty to take, in any case.

1.  I thought it was a 5 minute major.  Was it a game misconduct too?  If so, agreed.  5 minutes was warranted.  I don't think it was malicious, but it was bad luck and injury is part of the rule.  He was hurt.

2. You saw the puck cross?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:

1.  I thought it was a 5 minute major.  Was it a game misconduct too?  If so, agreed.  5 minutes was warranted.  I don't think it was malicious, but it was bad luck and injury is part of the rule.  He was hurt.

2. You saw the puck cross?
    I thought I did. Didn’t they say it had but a whistle had blown?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16