Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,854
    Canes Devils tonight, let's go!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,161
    Another night of upsets 

keep ‘em coming 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    Would be kinda funny if Seattle won the whole thing.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    I would love a Seattle - Edmonton conference final

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    bluetunedbluetuned Chicago Posts: 33
    edited May 2023
    I'd be on board 100% for Seattle winning before Vegas after Vegas sold their soul to try and win immediately.
    Post edited by bluetuned on
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    bluetuned said:
    I'd be on board 100% for Seattle winning before Vegas after Vegas sold their soul to try and win immediately.
    How ya figure Vegas sold their soul?
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    bluetuned said:
    It might be a personal problem, haha, but I just feel like they really spoiled the goodwill that they had when they entered the league. That first season was such a great story of castoffs who took the team to the Final. Ever since then the ownership has been clearly hellbent on getting back no matter the cost.

-Unceremoniously dumped Gerard Gallant a year and a half after he coached them to the Final (and then did the same to Pete DeBoer later).
    -Brought in Robin Lehner as competition for Marc-Andre Fleury mid-season, and then dumped Fleury a year later for cap space even after he won the Vezina.
    -Acquired every shiny new toy they could find on the market (Pacioretty, Pietrangelo, Stone, Eichel, Lehner) even if it meant getting rid of a bunch of the guys that they had success with originally (Tuch, Schmidt, Haula) or even guys they only recently picked up (Stastny, Tatar, Pacioretty again).
    -Stashing players on LTIR to circumvent the salary cap like they did this year with Stone, who is miraculously healthy right in time for the playoffs when the cap is no longer an issue.

It all just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They were fun to root for at first but now they barely have anyone left from that group. it just seems like they're trying to buy a Cup, as much as you can do that in the NHL anyway.
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    bluetuned said:
    bluetuned said:
    It might be a personal problem, haha, but I just feel like they really spoiled the goodwill that they had when they entered the league. That first season was such a great story of castoffs who took the team to the Final. Ever since then the ownership has been clearly hellbent on getting back no matter the cost.

-Unceremoniously dumped Gerard Gallant a year and a half after he coached them to the Final (and then did the same to Pete DeBoer later).
    -Brought in Robin Lehner as competition for Marc-Andre Fleury mid-season, and then dumped Fleury a year later for cap space even after he won the Vezina.
    -Acquired every shiny new toy they could find on the market (Pacioretty, Pietrangelo, Stone, Eichel, Lehner) even if it meant getting rid of a bunch of the guys that they had success with originally (Tuch, Schmidt, Haula) or even guys they only recently picked up (Stastny, Tatar, Pacioretty again).
    -Stashing players on LTIR to circumvent the salary cap like they did this year with Stone, who is miraculously healthy right in time for the playoffs when the cap is no longer an issue.

It all just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They were fun to root for at first but now they barely have anyone left from that group. it just seems like they're trying to buy a Cup, as much as you can do that in the NHL anyway.
    I see what you're saying, and I might even agree with you.  I thought your initial comment was referencing their first year.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    bluetuned said:
    bluetuned said:

I see what you're saying, and I might even agree with you.  I thought your initial comment was referencing their first year.
    Ah yeah definitely not. That first team was a ton of fun to root for.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Yeah I’m rooting for Seattle love seeing a team that has never won it lift the cup! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited May 2023
    bluetuned said:
    bluetuned said:

Agreed.  It’s like the ‘94 New York Oilers, only they can’t completely pilfer the Lightning because they find creative ways to circumvent the cap (something Vegas took notes on with less successful results). 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Double post
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Yeah I’m rooting for Seattle love seeing a team that has never won it lift the cup! 
    The team is brans spanking new, of course they haven't won, lol.
  • Options
    Canes looked great last night! Played the system right, play fast and never give up, totally hemmed the devil in their own zone most of the night.

Thanks for the recap about Seattle, had no idea they've moved on so many good players. But they're playing within the "rules"  but with such turnover I'd think it'd be pretty easy to get bad real quick. Building a system with depth seems to keep teams in the hunt for many years at a time. I'm thinking of the Red Wings before Blashill and Holland's terrible decisions a few years ago.

• Options
    a5pj said:
    Canes looked great last night! Played the system right, play fast and never give up, totally hemmed the devil in their own zone most of the night.

Thanks for the recap about Seattle, had no idea they've moved on so many good players. But they're playing within the "rules"  but with such turnover I'd think it'd be pretty easy to get bad real quick. Building a system with depth seems to keep teams in the hunt for many years at a time. I'm thinking of the Red Wings before Blashill and Holland's terrible decisions a few years ago.
    Detroit was in the same position that Pittsburgh and Washington is in now. You have a core of aging star players and you do whatever you can to hold it together as long as you can. Trading high draft picks for plug and play role players for a few last chances at glory.  As Detroit has shown, full rebuilds don’t always go as planned, but Stevie Y will get that program back on track. 

Can’t blame Blashill for that really. As for the Holland, the GM is in a tough spot there as I’m sure the Illitch family had some say in the direction of the team. Owners want to win and sell tickets, and star players do that for them. 
  • Options
    a5pj said:

Detroit was in the same position that Pittsburgh and Washington is in now. You have a core of aging star players and you do whatever you can to hold it together as long as you can. Trading high draft picks for plug and play role players for a few last chances at glory.  As Detroit has shown, full rebuilds don’t always go as planned, but Stevie Y will get that program back on track. 

Can’t blame Blashill for that really. As for the Holland, the GM is in a tough spot there as I’m sure the Illitch family had some say in the direction of the team. Owners want to win and sell tickets, and star players do that for them. 
    Yeah there's a lot more to it than a quick recap by just a lowly fan like me lol. We forget they're people too and want to live / play / have careers / family in different places.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,787

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    nicknyr15 said:

ESPN sucks at hockey. "my" VGK hometown announcers are MUCH better than the ESPN crews.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887

Vegas has never won. I think The Panthers have never won either. Have the Hurricanes ever won it?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

Vegas has never won. I think The Panthers have never won either. Have the Hurricanes ever won it?
    Canes won in 2006.

Vegas, Seattle, and Florida haven't won.

Toronto last won in the '60s, Edmonton in 1990, Dallas in 1999, and NJ in 2003.
  • Options
    RIP Petr Klima. 

Never forget that OT goal against Boston in the finals after he road the bench for three periods. Legendary 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    Wobbie said:
    nicknyr15 said:

ESPN sucks at hockey. "my" VGK hometown announcers are MUCH better than the ESPN crews.
    Dave Goucher?
  • Options
    RIP Petr Klima. 

Never forget that OT goal against Boston in the finals after he road the bench for three periods. Legendary 
    If my memory serves correctly, the coach had benched him, and that was like his third shift in that triple ot session lol. I'll always remember Bob Cole's call "Petrrrrrrrr Klimaaaaa!" RIP to the Boston Bruins killer. 

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    edited May 2023
    RIP Petr Klima. 

If my memory serves correctly, the coach had benched him, and that was like his third shift in that triple ot session lol. I'll always remember Bob Cole's call "Petrrrrrrrr Klimaaaaa!" RIP to the Boston Bruins killer. 
    You bet! I think John Muckler was the Oilers coach. Imagine sitting there watching an entire game from the bench and then scoring a triple OT winning goal. Petr was an enigma… lots of talent. I copied his striped stick tape, which pissed my coach off to no end lol. Not really sure why, hockey people were generally just too conservative for my liking. It’s a game for fuck sakes. 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    The thing still burned in my brain from that Klima game came in the first OT:

https://youtu.be/LbXq_Zn5QFg
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Oh man i remember that stick tape job haha!

• Options
    Poncier said:
    The thing still burned in my brain from that Klima game came in the first OT:

https://youtu.be/LbXq_Zn5QFg
    That’s a tough one, but every hockey player has missed a wide open net. You never really forget them either lol. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    But missing that wide open net in OT of game 1 of the cup finals makes it a bit harder to forget.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    I still can't believe he missed the net

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    Wobbie said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Dave Goucher?
    he’s one of them. I’ll take him over steve levy.

edmonton PP is scary. VGK, better 5 on 5.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16