Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,167
    Still can’t get over the Bruins

pure magic all year, to have the coach you fired raise the cup vs the team that knocked you out in 1st rd? Ouch

congrats to Vegas
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,459
    Miami pulled the Philly - lose two championships at once.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Disappointed Vegas won with their cap circumvention trick, and Jack Eichel is the prince of turds.  

But its nice to be in the offseason. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Golden Knights game to lose.  they are kicking some bit and playing extremely well tonight.
    Vegas is a solid team, not some all timer of a squad.  Panthers have just been awful.  

who are the “all timers”? are we talking teams with crosbys, ovechkins, gretzkys? obviously, any team with an all time talent is going to be memorable. I won’t argue vegas is in any way an all time squad….I seriously doubt they’ll win another cup with this squad….it’s just too hard and hockey can be so random….that said, they’re good.

#1 priority is to get rid of shitty goal tender and all around turd, robin lehner.
    You're focused on Vegas.  I'm not saying they aren't/weren't good in this run.  They were.  Hill was great.  I'm more making a point that the Panthers failed to compete, particularly last night.  Where was Barkov and Verhaeghe all series?  Where was the PP?  
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Congrats Vegas.  Wow.

Rangers got a coach that should stir up the franchise and right that ship.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Panthers in 6.
    Tkachuk Conn-Smythe winner.
    Didn't nail this one.
    But you nailed owning up to it.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    MayDay10 said:
    Disappointed Vegas won with their cap circumvention trick, and Jack Eichel is the prince of turds.  

But it’s nice to be in the offseason. 
    I’m not sure that’s really fair..,it’s just how it worked out…stone needed the back surgery and went on the disabled list…those are the rules. It’s not like it was some phony surgery.

and you’re just mad Buffalo fucked up the eichel situation :wink:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    *yawn* that was even less interesting than I thought. 

Time for the draft, free agency. Loony season! 
  • Options

says the canadian fan.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

says the canadian fan.
    Says the hockey fan. There have been great finals involving two US teams, like Pgh-Det (x2), Chi-Phi, StL-Bos
    This wasn’t one of them. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    edited June 2023
    One team was a Cup Winner-fraud, when it came down to it.
    Got their shit pushed in.
    (And f that ball of crap Tk, he deserved to go out like that.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Definitely one of the most non-competitive Finals I can remember, up there with Lindros & the Flyers getting destroyed by the Soviet Red Army in 1997.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Definitely one of the most non-competitive Finals I can remember, up there with Lindros & the Flyers getting destroyed by the Soviet Red Army in 1997.
    I agree, it sucked.  And there was no reason for that to happen.  It's like Florida just folded early and often.  This is hockey, you can win any game with goaltending and effort.  I'd love to find the blocked shots stats.  I looked and couldn't find them.  But it seemed like Vegas had bodies everywhere and FL didn't.  And how do you give up 5, 7 and 9 goals in a game?  WTF!  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mrussel1 said:
    I agree, it sucked.  And there was no reason for that to happen.  It's like Florida just folded early and often.  This is hockey, you can win any game with goaltending and effort.  I'd love to find the blocked shots stats.  I looked and couldn't find them.  But it seemed like Vegas had bodies everywhere and FL didn't.  And how do you give up 5, 7 and 9 goals in a game?  WTF!  
    I didn't even watch, but I saw a quick GIF of the end of the series and thought "was that a NINE??". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I did not watch one minute of the finals.  
    I don't really care about either team or franchise, although I did want Vegas to lose.  I didnt like the fact that the hot team winning with mojo and smoke and mirrors, along with a hot goalie had such a long layoff.  I suspected they would revert back to looking like a #8 seed.  They had such a tough road to go through Boston, Toronto, and Carolina, probably 3 of the league's top 4 teams (when Colorado is healthy).  I didnt realize how fundamentally injured some key players were.

From the get-go, the series wasnt really competitive, which led to me (and many others) just tuning it out. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Wobbie said:
    MayDay10 said:

I am mad at Sabres' management for a lot of things.  Hopefully they have it turned around now.  I am not upset with the Eichel thing.  Eichel was always an entitled turd, even in youth/juniors, right along through college.  
    He came here #2 overall and the Sabres tried to immediately build a team around him.  They got Gionta and Gorges to teach him how to be a leader/man.  Unfortunately, they also got Evander Kane.  I wonder who the 18-19 year old frat boy millionaire is going to follow... the boring married guys or the guy who snorts coke, skips practice to take a helicopter to NBA All-star games.  OReilly took the right path though.  Eventually he had enough of Eichel though.

So the Sabres tried for years to do everything they can to make Eichel happy.  They fired/hired coaches, GMs, made him captain, etc.  He was a terrible captain.  The team made him unavailable after the Sabres lost.   He would visibly loaf in the middle of games, he would show up his teammates by throwing his head and arms back if someone made a mistake.  His coke problem was well documented around town.  I know a few prominent people in local media, and behind the scenes, sports reporters laughed and made fun of him, and gave him the nickname 'jack-nape'.  They still tried to help kiss his ass with their print and news casts.  I have heard so many anecdotes of Eichel being a douchebag in public, including to kids.  

Eichel asked for a trade privately around the time of covid.  Then tried to create the whole surgery drama to demand a trade, and also tried to play the media.  His original agent acted like a fool and undermined both sides and he ended up firing him for a more professional guy who eventually told Eichel to shut the fuck up.  

He gets booed last year in Buffalo, they lose, and then postgame, he shits on the fans who supported him and sold out the building for a last place team for 7 years like a baby.

He isn't an easy guy to root for.  He embodies every villain from 80s movies.

He ended up going to the one situation that wasnt going to see his career spiral into obscurity.  He needed to walk into a team where he isnt 'the guy'.  There is an established leadership core in Pietrangelo and Stone.  The team was already really good and successful.  He is free to sneak off and snort coke whenever he pleases because it's Vegas.  

edit:  He is also a huge Trumper and previously had to delete his social media accounts after putting his immense ignorance on display.

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I don't really care about either team or franchise, although I did want Vegas to lose.  I didnt like the fact that the hot team winning with mojo and smoke and mirrors, along with a hot goalie had such a long layoff.  I suspected they would revert back to looking like a #8 seed.  They had such a tough road to go through Boston, Toronto, and Carolina, probably 3 of the league's top 4 teams (when Colorado is healthy).  
    so, VGK was not even a top 4 team, in your opinion?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    effort and goaltending WERE the keys. VGK’s effort helped Hill and carolina’s lack of effort often hung bobrovsky out to dry.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
     and carolina’s lack of effort often hung bobrovsky out to dry.
    Carolina has the Panthers right?

• Options
    Wobbie said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I don't really care about either team or franchise, although I did want Vegas to lose.  I didnt like the fact that the hot team winning with mojo and smoke and mirrors, along with a hot goalie had such a long layoff.  I suspected they would revert back to looking like a #8 seed.  They had such a tough road to go through Boston, Toronto, and Carolina, probably 3 of the league's top 4 teams (when Colorado is healthy).  
    so, VGK was not even a top 4 team, in your opinion?
    I dont think I would rank them ahead of any of the 4 mentioned, although knocking on the door.  If Adin Hill figured it out, wasnt just hot, and is a .935/2.15 goalie, then absolutely.

It isnt a sizzling hot take or anything.  I think bookmakers have the 2024 Stanley Cup odds up and Vegas is like the 8th best odds.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Wobbie said:
    MayDay10 said:

I am mad at Sabres' management for a lot of things.  Hopefully they have it turned around now.  I am not upset with the Eichel thing.  Eichel was always an entitled turd, even in youth/juniors, right along through college.  
    He came here #2 overall and the Sabres tried to immediately build a team around him.  They got Gionta and Gorges to teach him how to be a leader/man.  Unfortunately, they also got Evander Kane.  I wonder who the 18-19 year old frat boy millionaire is going to follow... the boring married guys or the guy who snorts coke, skips practice to take a helicopter to NBA All-star games.  OReilly took the right path though.  Eventually he had enough of Eichel though.

So the Sabres tried for years to do everything they can to make Eichel happy.  They fired/hired coaches, GMs, made him captain, etc.  He was a terrible captain.  The team made him unavailable after the Sabres lost.   He would visibly loaf in the middle of games, he would show up his teammates by throwing his head and arms back if someone made a mistake.  His coke problem was well documented around town.  I know a few prominent people in local media, and behind the scenes, sports reporters laughed and made fun of him, and gave him the nickname 'jack-nape'.  They still tried to help kiss his ass with their print and news casts.  I have heard so many anecdotes of Eichel being a douchebag in public, including to kids.  

Eichel asked for a trade privately around the time of covid.  Then tried to create the whole surgery drama to demand a trade, and also tried to play the media.  His original agent acted like a fool and undermined both sides and he ended up firing him for a more professional guy who eventually told Eichel to shut the fuck up.  

He gets booed last year in Buffalo, they lose, and then postgame, he shits on the fans who supported him and sold out the building for a last place team for 7 years like a baby.

He isn't an easy guy to root for.  He embodies every villain from 80s movies.

He ended up going to the one situation that wasnt going to see his career spiral into obscurity.  He needed to walk into a team where he isnt 'the guy'.  There is an established leadership core in Pietrangelo and Stone.  The team was already really good and successful.  He is free to sneak off and snort coke whenever he pleases because it's Vegas.  

Jack-nape. Lol
  • Options
    Well the Canucks did the right thing  buying out OEL to kick off NHL silly-season.  Jim Benning will haunt this organization well into the next decade. I’m sure they didn’t want to do it, but Ethan Bear’s shoulder injury forced their hand. 
    OEL is a third-pairing depth defenceman with a lack of foot speed at this point. Canucks needed cap room to add a RHD now that Bear is on the shelf. 

If only they could unload the chaos-giraffe Tyler Myers they could really reconstruct that blue line. Hughes can’t play 28 minutes a night like Tocchet had him doing at the end of last year to ensure they didn’t pick in the top-10 of the draft, lol. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    He was awesome.
    Too bad he couldn't get a ring.
    (Go Kings Go!)
    ;)
  • Options
    He was awesome.
    (Go Kings Go!)
    ;)
    I will never remember which teams you like.

• Options
    The only hall of famer on the list is Lunqvist.  Barrasso and Vernon are silly.  I can hear the case about Turgeon, but I like him as kind of a benchmark of out vs in.  
  • Options
    He was awesome.
    (Go Kings Go!)
    ;)
    I will never remember which teams you like.
    Ha.  Confusing as a person who has lived a bunch of spots.
    Kings hockey
    USC college
    Reds baseball
    49ers football
    Sixers basketball, as much as I root for hoops these days but as a youngster I loved Chuck and whatever team he played for.  Hawkins, Dawkins, Barkley 76ers probably my all time favorite group

For Hockey I grew up a Bruins fan but once I went out to LA I couldn't very well root for a team called Bruins and I wanted a local sports pro team to go to games and root for.  Went to tons of Dodgers, Angels, etc games but always rooted for matchup.
    Kings were the obvious choice.  Took a while but thanks to Philly and Dry Island, Kings got the bling.  (X2)

• Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,926
    As a Pens fan, this was probably my favorite memory of "The King".  But the time he sprayed Crosby with a water bottle when Crosby was held down on the ice was pretty funny too.  

Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    The only hall of famer on the list is Lunqvist.  Barrasso and Vernon are silly.  I can hear the case about Turgeon, but I like him as kind of a benchmark of out vs in.  
    Mogilny getting overlooked again is a head scratcher 
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,926
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023