Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,167

I don't care who's in net, you're not going to win in the playoffs if you keep turning it over & can't get out of your own zone. 
    it just reeks of desperation at that point.....also McAvoy fucked up a bunch , I also felt like Bruins shoulda been diving at pucks last 2 minutes
  • Options
    Swayman was solid enough, I just think the decision trickles down to others on the team as...oh shit, coach is over reacting
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    CROJAM95 said:

I don't care who's in net, you're not going to win in the playoffs if you keep turning it over & can't get out of your own zone. 
    it just reeks of desperation at that point.....also McAvoy fucked up a bunch , I also felt like Bruins shoulda been diving at pucks last 2 minutes

I don't disagree about the move coming off as desperate, but OTOH, they were 0:58 away from that being the correct move, so that's a pretty thin margin of error. 

& Agreed about McAvoy... I love the guy, but he (& Lindholm) had a bad series. I blame them way more than I blame the goaltending switch. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    CROJAM95 said:

I don't disagree about the move coming off as desperate, but OTOH, they were 0:58 away from that being the correct move, so that's a pretty thin margin of error. 

& Agreed about McAvoy... I love the guy, but he (& Lindholm) had a bad series. I blame them way more than I blame the goaltending switch. 
    I don't even watch the Bruins and I noticed all the mistakes by McAvoy.  Sometimes defensive breakdowns are hard to see, but these were clear as day. 
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,925
    The thing that blew my mind about the Bruins was how many uncontested, errant passes they had.  I can't remember the last time I saw an NHL team make more than a couple in a game, maybe, but the Bs were missing open targets throughout the game.  The team was off, big time.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but Florida was the 17th ranked team in the league at season's end.  I wonder what the contingency of fans that push for a top 16 playoff (1v16, 2v15, etc.) think about them toppling the Bruins.  Montreal made it to the Stanley Cup Final in 2021 when they were 18th, but let's skip the bubble years as they were odd, so you have to go to 2010 to find the last non-top-16 team to make a dent in the playoffs.  Philly was 18th, Montreal was 19th, and they faced off in the Eastern Conference Final. 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    the whole Florida was fighting for their playoff lives since January, while Boston didnt play any pressure games til the playoffs...thats a big factor, plus Florida not your typical 8th seed, they had best record last year. It stinks for Bruins, they have had a real chance to win 3-4 cups last 12 years...Im getting a 90s Braves vibe
  • Options
    The thing that blew my mind about the Bruins was how many uncontested, errant passes they had.  I can't remember the last time I saw an NHL team make more than a couple in a game, maybe, but the Bs were missing open targets throughout the game.  The team was off, big time.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but Florida was the 17th ranked team in the league at season's end.  I wonder what the contingency of fans that push for a top 16 playoff (1v16, 2v15, etc.) think about them toppling the Bruins.  Montreal made it to the Stanley Cup Final in 2021 when they were 18th, but let's skip the bubble years as they were odd, so you have to go to 2010 to find the last non-top-16 team to make a dent in the playoffs.  Philly was 18th, Montreal was 19th, and they faced off in the Eastern Conference Final. 
    First, I agree with Crojam.  Teams playing the whole second half of the year in fight mode have an advantage against someone that secured their spot by November.  There is no urgency to the game.  

He's also dead on with FL.  This is not nearly the surprise as Seattle knocking off the Avs.  That shocked me.  FL won the presidents last year and this is basically the same team.  They just never got their goal tending settled.  Knocking off the Leafs won't shock me.  
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    bruins lose 12 games all season and then lose 4 of 7? :tired_face:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,925
    Absolutely agree with everything with that, but I will say the Bs didn't take their foot off the gas when they secured the playoffs, division, or President's trophy.  They were full throttle the entire way, and mostly dominant at that.  They were on a mission, so what happened?  I'm guessing here but they seemed intimidated by either the Panthers or the expectations.  They weren't the Big Bad Bruins I expected them to be in response to a challenge.  I'd find it more hilarious is my girlfriend wasn't a Bruins fan.

My only point with the seeding was addressing the playoff format question.  I don't believe it's been brought up here but I see a lot of griping about the format in other areas. I like it and I'm against the idea of 1v16 even though in a funny way that's what this series technically ended up being by overall league rankings (though actually in a 1v16 league-wide Florida wouldn't be in the playoffs, Calgary would, which would be a travesty after seeing what Florida did to Boston).  I think the current model leads to more intensity overall through rivalries and wild cards, and I'd venture to guess there are more upsets, which to be fair could also be due to parity.  
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,901
    I could just google this but why is Boston’s logo a wheel with spokes and not a bruin? I know their alternate jerseys have the bruin on it. Just thought it was kinda odd I guess.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    bluetunedbluetuned Chicago Posts: 33
    I could just google this but why is Boston’s logo a wheel with spokes and not a bruin? I know their alternate jerseys have the bruin on it. Just thought it was kinda odd I guess.
    The story has always been that it's a hub and spoke design because "The Hub" is a nickname for the city. It wasn't their original logo. They started with a bear.
  • Options
    Absolutely agree with everything with that, but I will say the Bs didn't take their foot off the gas when they secured the playoffs, division, or President's trophy.  They were full throttle the entire way, and mostly dominant at that.  They were on a mission, so what happened?  I'm guessing here but they seemed intimidated by either the Panthers or the expectations.  They weren't the Big Bad Bruins I expected them to be in response to a challenge.  I'd find it more hilarious is my girlfriend wasn't a Bruins fan.

My only point with the seeding was addressing the playoff format question.  I don't believe it's been brought up here but I see a lot of griping about the format in other areas. I like it and I'm against the idea of 1v16 even though in a funny way that's what this series technically ended up being by overall league rankings (though actually in a 1v16 league-wide Florida wouldn't be in the playoffs, Calgary would, which would be a travesty after seeing what Florida did to Boston).  I think the current model leads to more intensity overall through rivalries and wild cards, and I'd venture to guess there are more upsets, which to be fair could also be due to parity.  
    I'm okay with this format but don't love it.  I prefer 1 vs 8, 2 v 7, etc. In theory the #2 and 3 team in the conference could play in the first round.  If it hasn't happened,  I'm sure it will. 
  • Options
    Rangers did a lot at the deadline to blow a 2-0 lead.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Interesting to me that Kane was 2nd among their forwards with 6 points. Tarasenko was the only player other than Kreider with more than 1 goal (had 3). It was their own guys that really dropped the ball.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    edited May 2023
    bluetuned said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Interesting to me that Kane was 2nd among their forwards with 6 points. Tarasenko was the only player other than Kreider with more than 1 goal (had 3). It was their own guys that really dropped the ball.
    Devils deserve credit they didn’t fold down 0-2 being a young team! Some really good teams are off to golf now, I’d like a team that has never one a cup win it Seattle! 
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,970
    Yeah the Devils just dominated. Rangers looked lost.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Truly any team can win the cup.....thats gold. Especially if your goalie gets hot, best playoffs
  • Options
    I know the Americans probably won't care, but there's actually a real possibility for an all Canadian final. That's wild!

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    I will be watching Mr Jack Hughes.  I want to see that kid go far and become a superstar like McDavid.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    I know the Americans probably won't care, but there's actually a real possibility for an all Canadian final. That's wild!
    If my team can't win (Edmonton smacked them down, again) I actually will root for a Canadian team.  Toronto.
    #it'stime. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,792
    If my team can't win (Edmonton smacked them down, again) I actually will root for a Canadian team.  Toronto.
    #it'stime. 
    Same here!!

nothing to say about the rangers. They are just not built for a Stanley cup. The power play and our goalie has got us by the last two seasons but other than that, the team is just not it. Our top 6 played like garbage and we have no depth past them. I’m glad they lost last night and put me out of my misery because they cannot beat any of the remaining teams. They looked absolutely dreadful for most of the series besides the first two games. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,970
    That would be pretty cool
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,901
    bluetuned said:
    The story has always been that it's a hub and spoke design because "The Hub" is a nickname for the city. It wasn't their original logo. They started with a bear.
    Pretty interesting/cool. Never heard Boston called "The Hub" before though. Always considered it Beantown. Thanks for the info :smile:

That would be pretty cool

I wouldn't mind that either.

Glad The Rangers got knocked out.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    I didn't get a chance to watch a minute of that Devils-Rangers series so i'm ignorant about the details....was it the goaltending that did the rangers in? I know the devils switched goalies a few games in - was he lights out?

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,792
    I didn't get a chance to watch a minute of that Devils-Rangers series so i'm ignorant about the details....was it the goaltending that did the rangers in? I know the devils switched goalies a few games in - was he lights out?
    The rangers did the rangers in. 
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    #it'stime. 
    It will never be time.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    ah yes the classic team self destruct

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    ah yes the classic team self destruct
    Devils looked in control the whole game. The only good chances for the Rangers came on the powerplay and they just couldn't convert.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    I can’t root for ant team that plays in a state with an asshole governor. I think that rules out a few.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16