Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I have no dog in the fight here...I only watch hockey come playoff time anyway...still pretty disturbing how this sport treats its fans, especially in the States where in most markets it behind the other major leagues.

no kidding ... the nhl won't even meet with the PA ...

This whole thing is turning into a complete embarrassment. I'm really starting to doubt if we are going to see any hockey at all this year.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    This whole thing is turning into a complete embarrassment. I'm really starting to doubt if we are going to see any hockey at all this year.

if i wasn't so lazy and was actually a proponent of social media - i would start a facebook/twitter page about boycotting nhl revenue sources ... ie games, merch, concessions ... watch only at home or at pubs ... don't buy any jerseys ...
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:

if i wasn't so lazy and was actually a proponent of social media - i would start a facebook/twitter page about boycotting nhl revenue sources ... ie games, merch, concessions ... watch only at home or at pubs ... don't buy any jerseys ...

I'm been actively boycotting since '94...with exception of a playoff game I attended and the watching playoffs...sad part is when the CBA gets done...in 6 years it'll start all over again.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I'm been actively boycotting since '94...with exception of a playoff game I attended and the watching playoffs...sad part is when the CBA gets done...in 6 years it'll start all over again.

ya ... this is another reason why i stand by the players because it's constantly give give by the players and the owners take take ... so, with every CBA - the owners are just gonna pull the same stunt ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

ya ... this is another reason why i stand by the players because it's constantly give give by the players and the owners take take ... so, with every CBA - the owners are just gonna pull the same stunt ...

Now its up to more fans to just say forget it...I'm not giving you no more money...its easy...I myself only really attend junior hockey and a few baseball games a year.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    Islanders move to Brooklyn presser this afternoon
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Interesting... I wonder two things:

Are they gonna become the 'Brooklyn Islanders'... And are they going to change the jerseys?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    they will never pass a shot at rebranding and the money.

This is a fucking shame.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    MayDay10 wrote:

This is a fucking shame.
    I'm sort of ambovlent about it, and if they get rid of those awful 3rd jerseys, even better.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399

Are they gonna become the 'Brooklyn Islanders'... And are they going to change the jerseys?

I don't see any need to change the name, unless they just want to. Brooklyn is still on Long Island, even if they moved to Manhattan or any of the other islands, it's still an island. I wouldn't be surprised if they updated/tweaked their jersey's though. So many pro teams change their jersey for no reason (except to sell more jerseys), so I bet they do. It might just be a different shade of blue/orange.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448

Also: Will hipsters become Islanders fans in an attempt to be ironic?
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I'm hearing that Jay-Z is getting fitted for skates right now to wear to the PC.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    drivingrl wrote:

Also: Will hipsters become Islanders fans in an attempt to be ironic?

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

This is a fucking shame.

I tend to agree...new uniforms...new name...means $$$$...they'll not pass the opportunity up. I imagine it will all be announced at the presser.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I imagine it will all be announced at the presser.

I doubt that.

For one, it would alienate all the current fans and turn the team into a complete lame-duck until 2015... plus they would be stuck with all Islanders shit.

Also, its a long process to rebrand and Im sure they wanted to make sure the deal is in place first,
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

There are tons of groups on facebook dedicated to boycotts and nhl protest movements...I'm a member of one. In a way I find it annoying - of all the problems in the world to motivate a person to speak out and join a boycott movement, this is the one?.....:roll: In the big picture....who give a flying fuck about any of this? I have to choose one of a million other entertainment options this winter? poor me. (tho it does suck in relation to the trickle-down effect on employment).
    All of us will be back watching NHL hockey again. Sport is like a drug, an escape, and we're just grumpy that we're not getting our fix...
    Can I ask you, lukin2006.....do you have access to free/company tickets to Wings games? If not....would you go if you did? Have you turned down free tickets?
    That's the problem with boycotting the NHL....the majority of season tickets (in Edmonton anyway, I assume it's the same in other markets) are sold to companies, not people. They're used for marketing, and as employee rewards/perks. I just don't see many people boycotting if the tickets are given to them for free. Boycotting merch and concessions? that is something we might be able to make happen. But unless there is good revenue sharing in place after this CBA is signed....doing so could just ensure the small markets never get their hockey fix again.
  • Options
    I think the trickle-down economic issue is one of the main things polaris and lukin were talking about, and I think that's a pretty good reason to boycott the NHL. Talking about going to the local pub to watch games in order to support them, and stuff like that. Seems like a pretty good idea to me. That's always the worst thing about these lockouts, the regular people who are affected. Employees of the arena, and all the restaurants and sports bars that depend on that traffic.
  • Options
    yeah ... i stopped giving mlse my money a long time ago ... i knew they didn't give a shit about me well before ...
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I think the trickle-down economic issue is one of the main things polaris and lukin were talking about, and I think that's a pretty good reason to boycott the NHL. Talking about going to the local pub to watch games in order to support them, and stuff like that. Seems like a pretty good idea to me. That's always the worst thing about these lockouts, the regular people who are affected. Employees of the arena, and all the restaurants and sports bars that depend on that traffic.
    absolutely. I agree. But would the conviction behind your will to boycott extend into free-ticket territory?
    I put my full weight behind supporting local sports bars :thumbup:...I don't buy merch anyway, and I could go back to my smuggled-flask days....but I'm probably not going to pass up free tickets.
  • Options
    absolutely. I agree. But would the conviction behind your will to boycott extend into free-ticket territory?
    I put my full weight behind supporting local sports bars :thumbup:...I don't buy merch anyway, and I could go back to my smuggled-flask days....but I'm probably not going to pass up free tickets.

Absolutely. That's not to say I have a whole lot of conviction, I'm not a fan of the local team. I go to a game once every couple of years when the Leafs come to town, but it's been a while since I've even done that. I'm not even sure if they've come to town. So the live aspect of hockey has never been THAT big of a deal, I've been following hockey since before there was even a team anywhere around. So a boycott wouldn't hurt me too much, I would just be spending more time in sports bars out of principal. Until they cut me off and I boycott the sports bar.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

There are tons of groups on facebook dedicated to boycotts and nhl protest movements...I'm a member of one. In a way I find it annoying - of all the problems in the world to motivate a person to speak out and join a boycott movement, this is the one?.....:roll: In the big picture....who give a flying fuck about any of this? I have to choose one of a million other entertainment options this winter? poor me. (tho it does suck in relation to the trickle-down effect on employment).
    All of us will be back watching NHL hockey again. Sport is like a drug, an escape, and we're just grumpy that we're not getting our fix...
    Can I ask you, lukin2006.....do you have access to free/company tickets to Wings games? If not....would you go if you did? Have you turned down free tickets?
    That's the problem with boycotting the NHL....the majority of season tickets (in Edmonton anyway, I assume it's the same in other markets) are sold to companies, not people. They're used for marketing, and as employee rewards/perks. I just don't see many people boycotting if the tickets are given to them for free. Boycotting merch and concessions? that is something we might be able to make happen. But unless there is good revenue sharing in place after this CBA is signed....doing so could just ensure the small markets never get their hockey fix again.

No I have no access to free tickets...if given free tickets I would likely go...doesn't mean I have to spend money inside the building. getting ticket for Wings game is usually never a problem anyways...and for anyone who's never been to the Joe its a great place to watch a game, just the overall fan experience is poor...long lines in concessions, washroom etc...as for the viewing even the upper bowl are great seats.

• Options
    That's the problem with boycotting the NHL....the majority of season tickets (in Edmonton anyway, I assume it's the same in other markets) are sold to companies, not people.

In Buffalo, Id be happy to boycott and toss my season tickets... but the issue is there is a waiting list, so the only difference would be I would be out my tickets.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    New York Islanders Owner Charles B. Wang, Barclays Center Majority Owner and Developer Bruce Ratner, and Onexim Sports and Entertainment announced today that the Islanders will move to Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The 25-year agreement begins for the 2015-16 season.

The announcement was made at a press conference in the GEICO Atrium at Barclays Center, which was also attended by New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman, Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, Islanders General Manager Garth Snow, and Barclays Center CEO Brett Yormark.

In support of the illustrious history of the team, the New York Islanders name and logo will remain unchanged.

"It was our goal from day one to keep the Islanders in the local New York area." Wang said. "We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to play in Barclays Center, a first class arena. This has been a long journey for the Islanders family starting with our loyal fans, sponsors, and employees. I want to personally thank them for their patience, loyalty, and support. I am excited about today’s announcement and I am looking forward to a long and successful future in Brooklyn."

“We are delighted to welcome the Islanders to Brooklyn and to bring NHL hockey to the borough for the first time,” Ratner said. “Eleven subway lines and the Long Island Rail Road come directly to Barclays Center at Atlantic Terminal, offering great accessibility for current and future Islander fans. I want to thank Charles for his determination in keeping the team in New York and for having the vision to bring his club to Brooklyn.”

“More than ever before, Brooklyn is the place where everyone wants to be,” Mayor Bloomberg said. “Barclays Center has already brought an incredible amount of excitement to Brooklyn since opening last month. Now things will get even more interesting, with Brooklyn’s first-ever NHL franchise. Whether or not you’re a hockey fan, more events at Barclays Center will lead to more economic activity and more jobs, and that’s good news for all New Yorkers.”

“Today is another great day for Brooklyn,” BP Markowitz said. “When I first campaigned for Borough President, I made the promise that I would bring a major-league sports team to Brooklyn. But never, in my wildest dreams, did I think we would be home to both the Brooklyn Nets and the New York Islanders. With the Nets and the Islanders, Brooklyn is beginning a dominant power-play.”

“The Brooklyn Nets are excited to welcome the Islanders to Barclays Center and Brooklyn!” Yormark said. “Barclays Center will offer the Islanders with an exciting opportunity to grow their fan base and to build their brand. Islander fans are going to love Barclays Center for its intimacy, sightlines, Brooklyn Taste culinary program, and customer service. We are looking forward to opening our doors for the Islanders and bringing the best in sports and entertainment to Brooklyn.”

Barclays Center will hold 14,500 seats for Islander games. Current Islander season ticket holders will have first rights to purchase season tickets in Brooklyn.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    NHL lockout: Expect the league to start making some grim announcements

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/10/ ... uncements/

• Options
    New York Islanders Owner Charles B. Wang, Barclays Center Majority Owner and Developer Bruce Ratner, and Onexim Sports and Entertainment announced today that the Islanders will move to Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The 25-year agreement begins for the 2015-16 season.

The announcement was made at a press conference in the GEICO Atrium at Barclays Center, which was also attended by New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman, Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, Islanders General Manager Garth Snow, and Barclays Center CEO Brett Yormark.

In support of the illustrious history of the team, the New York Islanders name and logo will remain unchanged.

"It was our goal from day one to keep the Islanders in the local New York area." Wang said. "We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to play in Barclays Center, a first class arena. This has been a long journey for the Islanders family starting with our loyal fans, sponsors, and employees. I want to personally thank them for their patience, loyalty, and support. I am excited about today’s announcement and I am looking forward to a long and successful future in Brooklyn."

“We are delighted to welcome the Islanders to Brooklyn and to bring NHL hockey to the borough for the first time,” Ratner said. “Eleven subway lines and the Long Island Rail Road come directly to Barclays Center at Atlantic Terminal, offering great accessibility for current and future Islander fans. I want to thank Charles for his determination in keeping the team in New York and for having the vision to bring his club to Brooklyn.”

“More than ever before, Brooklyn is the place where everyone wants to be,” Mayor Bloomberg said. “Barclays Center has already brought an incredible amount of excitement to Brooklyn since opening last month. Now things will get even more interesting, with Brooklyn’s first-ever NHL franchise. Whether or not you’re a hockey fan, more events at Barclays Center will lead to more economic activity and more jobs, and that’s good news for all New Yorkers.”

“Today is another great day for Brooklyn,” BP Markowitz said. “When I first campaigned for Borough President, I made the promise that I would bring a major-league sports team to Brooklyn. But never, in my wildest dreams, did I think we would be home to both the Brooklyn Nets and the New York Islanders. With the Nets and the Islanders, Brooklyn is beginning a dominant power-play.”

“The Brooklyn Nets are excited to welcome the Islanders to Barclays Center and Brooklyn!” Yormark said. “Barclays Center will offer the Islanders with an exciting opportunity to grow their fan base and to build their brand. Islander fans are going to love Barclays Center for its intimacy, sightlines, Brooklyn Taste culinary program, and customer service. We are looking forward to opening our doors for the Islanders and bringing the best in sports and entertainment to Brooklyn.”

Barclays Center will hold 14,500 seats for Islander games. Current Islander season ticket holders will have first rights to purchase season tickets in Brooklyn.

Will Islander fans still support the team...even though it's not a huge move?

Or does the team hope to gain new fans with the move?

I for sure thought they'd change the name, new uniform and more merchandising money.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

You can’t dance by yourself

Silly old man
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

You can’t dance by yourself

Silly old man

:lol::lol:

The owners as of now refuse to talk...

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Got to see a taste of NHLers in action when I was in Berlin last week. Giroux and Briere of the Flyers are playing for Eisbaren Berlin. These fans in Berlin are crazy about hockey. Check out these 2 vids.

Goal celebration:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlTYWcSYcNw

Giroux being called out as the star of the game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfh7oxc7PIQ
  • Options
    I have a feeling the owners have some sort of internal deadline and it is coming up... which is why they are throwing the kitchen sink with PR and making it look like they are ready to axe everything.
  • Options
    Islanders’ move to Brooklyn should be the first of many in the NHL

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/10/ ... n-the-nhl/

One down. Another three to go.

The New York Islanders announced Tuesday the relocation of the hockey team to Brooklyn, N.Y. Beginning in the 2015-16 season, the team has signed a 25-year agreement to play out of the Barclays Center.

Now, if only Phoenix, Tampa Bay and Florida would also pack their bags, this lockout might finally end. That is what most should takeaway from the Islanders’ decision to move to what is potentially a more profitable market. Part of the reason this collective bargaining agreement is at a standstill is because the NHL claims several teams are losing money. The owners’ solution is for players to help out by taking less.

But if the league wants to fix the problem, it might want to relocate some teams to places where they are able to make more money.

For the Islanders, apparently that is Brooklyn. The team came to this answer only after owner Charles Wang tried repeatedly to keep the Islanders in Nassau County, where the once-proud franchise won four Stanley Cups to open the 1980s. In 2003, Wang’s privately-funded Lighthouse Project, a massive US$3.8-billion development that included a new arena, hotel condominium towers, shopping centre and other extravagances, was shot down at the proposal stage. And last year, voters decided against earmarking US$400-million in borrowing to build a new arena.

“As everyone knows, we have tried very hard to keep the Islanders in the current home in Nassau County,” Wang said in a news conference at Barclays Center. “Unfortunately, we were unable to fulfill that dream.”

So, with the lease on Nassau Coliseum expiring after the 2014-2015 season, Wang has decided to pack up and move the team about a 30-minute train ride to Brooklyn — New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg handed Wang and GM Garth Snow transit passes to reinforce this point — where they will remain the New York Islanders and the team hopes will continue drawing from the same fan base.

“This franchise now has a bright future,” said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

This will not fix all of the Islanders’ problems. The Barclays Center, which is the home of the Brooklyn Nets, is shiny and new and probably smells a lot better than Nassau Coliseum ever did. But it is a basketball-first facility and reportedly only holds 14,500 fans when outfitted for hockey, which would make it the smallest venue in the NHL. (Winnipeg’s MTS Centre holds 15,004 for hockey; the Nassau Coliseum, the Islanders’ current home, is next at 16,234.) Not that it would have mattered last season, when the Islanders averaged just 13,191 fans, the second-fewest in the NHL.

“We expect the capacity to be about 15,000-plus,” Bettman said in regards to adding more seats. “Keep in mind that Winnipeg is doing quite well in a building about the same size … the intimacy of this building is going to make watching hockey an incredible experience. It’s a long-winded way of saying we don’t think it ill be an issue.”

A move to Brooklyn might not change that. But with the option of new uniforms on the way, you have to imagine the value of a franchise Forbes listed at US$149-million a year ago — ahead of only the league-run Phoenix Coyotes — will receive a considerable spike.

If so, then maybe this becomes a trend. After all, the NHL has already had success in moving the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg. And with Quebec City and Markham, Ont., and Seattle as potential destinations for relocation, maybe now is the time to keep the moving trucks rumbling.