Psyched for the new Kindle (PJ20 in ebook?)

arakiasarakias Posts: 281
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Its called Fire and since its more than half the price of an ipad, this will be a great gadget. It was just announced this morning and is out in November but I went ahead and preordered mine
at Amazon. Kindle Fire out Nov 15th.

Amazon_Kindle_Fire_270x375.jpg

Hopefully they can put the PJ20 book into an ebook for this. I think its out for ipads now but now I can afford one. The pics prob wouldnt have been too hot on the e-ink kindle.

There are also going to be three more Kindles, including a touch device, the lowest of which is $80!

The $79 one looks slick but it doesnt have the keyboard like the current model, so I'm not sure how useful it would be for academic purposes (notetaking).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'd like a bigger screen...

any word on what processor it has?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • arakiasarakias Posts: 281
    News is still trickling out, but I found these specs:
    7-inch IPS display, 1024x600 resolution, Gorilla Glass
    Dual core processor, 8GB internal memory
    14.6 ounces, built-in Wi-Fi
    Amazon claims, "up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback, with wireless off"
    Tightly integrated with Amazon services like Amazon Instant Video and Cloud Drive
    Features new "cloud-accelerated" browser named Silk
    30-day free trial of Amazon Prime
    $199, ships November 15, available for pre-order today

on cnet http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-201 ... eStories.0
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    You fucking made my day!
    I have wanted an ereader for a long time that i could get graphic novels on (yes i am a dork) but the nook just did not seem to have a lot to offer. I'm hopeful Amazon will up the ante (noticed they are advertising the Watchman which is one i would want).

This is great. It seems to do everything i woudl want from an ipad for 300 dollars cheaper.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    The Fire is outselling its siblings and its not even out yet!
    Getting some pretty solid reviews for the new Kindle - mostly saying its worth the price ($200 for Fire in comparison to the $600 ipad).
  • i was reading about this the other day and was about to put in a pre-order, but then realized i need to do some research.

i know this is all hooked to amazon, but can i also download books for free from my library?
    you paid to get in, you're free to leave.
    Patience... is not a virtue i am good at right now.

I want my fire :D should be here by the 17th
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    releaseNY wrote:
    i was reading about this the other day and was about to put in a pre-order, but then realized i need to do some research.

i know this is all hooked to amazon, but can i also download books for free from my library?
    I am not sure. what i do know is they have a cloud system that i use on my android phone and i can put music, movies, documents etc on it and check it out on my android phone.

I'm assuming if you have ebooks already you could load them onto their cloud system and acess them that way.

I'm guessing i really don't know
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    intodeep wrote:
    releaseNY wrote:
    i was reading about this the other day and was about to put in a pre-order, but then realized i need to do some research.

I am not sure. what i do know is they have a cloud system that i use on my android phone and i can put music, movies, documents etc on it and check it out on my android phone.

I'm assuming if you have ebooks already you could load them onto their cloud system and acess them that way.

I'm guessing i really don't know
    Anything purchased from Amazon is available through their cloud network. If you are a "prime" member, I believe you get 5 GB of storage space on the cloud as well. I think 20 GB cost $20/year.

So if you bought books thru Amazon, you should be good to go. If not, you may need to pony-up for cloud storage space.

I'd double check on Amazon's site to confirm everything. Me no expert, but me like cookies.
  • Looking through here today to find some reviews of the Kindle Fire.
    Been wanting an i-Pad for the longest but just cant bring myself to pay that much money.
    I am already a Amazon prime member so this looks perfect.
    Anybody have a solid review of how this thing compares to other tablets......
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I have one ... I'm considering returning it.

My biggest issue is with the web browser security. Amazon's "Silk" browser uses their own servers to speed up the browsing experience by collecting all your information and history and combining it with everyone else that is using Silk ... it works but to me it seems like a huge security issue.

What freaked me out is that I cleared my history, cache, cookies on Silk. The next time I started it up, a few web pages from Walmart popped up that I had been on a few days back. I thought that was strange so I checked my history to see if I had been on the Kindle since I cleared the data ... everything I had visited since day one had magically reappeared. I went into the settings, cleared everything out again and restarted the Kindle. As soon as it started up I checked the history and watched it re-populate everything, one-by-one. That means it was downloading it from Amazon's servers.

I did Google searches and others were having this happen to them.

That means Amazon has all your personal data, even if you delete it. They even state it in their terms and conditions. That's fucked up.

My advice is to wait until Apple does the next iPad release and see if their price structure changes. They are probably waiting to see what impact Amazon will have on them.