Today was probably the most incredible day of my life....

Drop The Leash 10Drop The Leash 10 Posts: 7,011
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So there are two guarantees in life, you are born.. and you will die. (please note: i work as an EMT.)

So I showed up for my normal 6a-2p shift thinking nothing of it. My day started off with a quick hour nap, I woke up around 725 and went with my partner to grab a bagel at a dunks. As I was standing in line we get called to the nursing home around the corner for the 'person having difficulty breathing'.. We show up and find a tiny 86 year old me clearly going through congestive heart failure. We, with the help of the fire dept. get him loaded in the ambulance. The nurse in charge caught us before we left and handed us a DNR(do not resusitate order). We put the gentleman on oxygen and suctioned. He gathered the strength to remove the mask and very hoarsly said "thank you". No sooner than 3 minutes later he passed on. It was really emotional as the family was waiting at the hospital. We gave our condolences to the family and left.

Around 146 we got called for the woman in labor, the paramedics and us showed up on scene to find this 24 year old woman in serious pains, the paramedics dealt with this call for the most part but i assisted in the back. All of the sudden I hear one of the medics say "here it comes" and out popped a beautiful baby girl Sarah-Jane. It was incredible that in the matter of 6 hours I witnessed the tragedy of death and the miracle of birth.

Well, that's it. Figured i'd share. :)
I will be what i could be
Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    Wow. That was incredible. I have tears in my eyes. I'm glad you posted this.
  • and now u have a chance to see the sux continue to choke on a playoff spot :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    wow. it's a fragile life we all lead every single day. thanks for doing what you do....EMT's don't get enough recognition.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I don't even have words I can add to that, but .... damn, pretty crazy man.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    wow. it's a fragile life we all lead every single day. thanks for doing what you do....EMT's don't get enough recognition.
    Hey man! thanks FOR the recognition.. but all in all its just another day at the office. ;)

• maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Much respect for what you do, i work at a hospital and see life's great cycle at work on a daily basis and it never fails to amaze me.....your story immediately brought to mind Eddie's story from the Hamilton show about seeing Johnny Ramone during his final days and then looking over at his newborn daughter, understanding at that moment that "he got it....but does it have to be so painful?" Truer words could never be spoken...
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    So there are two guarantees in life, you are born.. and you will die. (please note: i work as an EMT.)

So I showed up for my normal 6a-2p shift thinking nothing of it. My day started off with a quick hour nap, I woke up around 725 and went with my partner to grab a bagel at a dunks. As I was standing in line we get called to the nursing home around the corner for the 'person having difficulty breathing'.. We show up and find a tiny 86 year old me clearly going through congestive heart failure. We, with the help of the fire dept. get him loaded in the ambulance. The nurse in charge caught us before we left and handed us a DNR(do not resusitate order). We put the gentleman on oxygen and suctioned. He gathered the strength to remove the mask and very hoarsly said "thank you". No sooner than 3 minutes later he passed on. It was really emotional as the family was waiting at the hospital. We gave our condolences to the family and left.

Around 146 we got called for the woman in labor, the paramedics and us showed up on scene to find this 24 year old woman in serious pains, the paramedics dealt with this call for the most part but i assisted in the back. All of the sudden I hear one of the medics say "here it comes" and out popped a beautiful baby girl Sarah-Jane. It was incredible that in the matter of 6 hours I witnessed the tragedy of death and the miracle of birth.

wow, that is all.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • i do respect your work though..good stuff
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    i would like to express my deepest RESPECT for your work and attitude. my mom died in an ambulance resuscitated for over 30 mins. and i love to think these were people like you. THANK YOU for your service, whoever you are, wherever you are. as your day shows us: you may be the last person we see as well as the first one. what more can be said?
    be proud of yourself.
    peace,
    m.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Wow, and I thought I was productive today closing on a new deal and wrapping up September billing. How fucking useless does a 'regular' job feel after reading that!
    Props to you and the good work you do; I am glad that you got to see the balance today. Gotta figure some days suck hind tit.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    jimed14 wrote:
    I don't even have words I can add to that, but .... damn, pretty crazy man.

me either...heavy stuff
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Wow, incredible indeed.

It takes a whole other level of character of human to do these incredible jobs.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    :o:D

saying goodbye and saying hello - just amazing
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

What a swing of a day. You experienced a broad spectrum today which will make you an even better person. I feel bad for the family who lost their loved one and I feel rejoice for the family welcoming someone into this World.

:thumbup:
  • Yeah, if I got to take an hour nap to start work, it might be the most incredible day of my life too...

oh yeah, the other stuff was cool too :D:D
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Very incredible day.

I find it endearing that the fella was able to say "thank you".
  • I'm glad you all can appreciate what I witnessed.. means alot! Love this place. :)

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I'm glad you all can appreciate what I witnessed.. means alot! Love this place. :)

It's funny that you mention that. Today I was thinking about that on this board. Members might have little fires with each other and disputes, but for the most part I feel everyone here is a good people and the type that would lend a helping hand if they could to another member. It is an amazing community. :thumbup:

Now that being said...go Orioles!!! :D
  • BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    DS1119 wrote:
    I'm glad you all can appreciate what I witnessed.. means alot! Love this place. :)

It's funny that you mention that. Today I was thinking about that on this board. Members might have little fires with each other and disputes, but for the most part I feel everyone here is a good people and the type that would lend a helping hand if they could to another member. It is an amazing community. :thumbup:
    totally true. i hope one day we will make it true when somebody needs it. (though i hope we won't have a chance). potential is limitless.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    Wow, what an experience. Good on ya.

I can just picture the elderly man saying "thank you," brings tears to my eyes. What a gentleman up to the end.

And then the baby... this is a day for the ages for you!

(And I love the "bagel at Dunks" comment. You must be from around here.)
    ;)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Wow, what an experience. Good on ya.

I can just picture the elderly man saying "thank you," brings tears to my eyes. What a gentleman up to the end.

And then the baby... this is a day for the ages for you!

(And I love the "bagel at Dunks" comment. You must be from around here.)
    ;)
    from methuen, born and raised! however i work in wakefield, stoneham, swampscott, ipswich, woburn, winthrop, and wilmington :lol:

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    good stuff.

Quick question, have you ever rolled on an accident scene and soemone was wearing dirty underwear? No? I guess they listened to their mother. ;)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • I hit the reply button that was the highlight of my day right there yes um
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    DTL10 that is an awesome day and I'm glad in many ways you experienced something like that. Many go through a lifetime and never experience something like that....I've experienced the passing several times form clients but never the birth so far.

Just the same keep up the good work and from my point of view I appreciate ALL the work you do to no end. This is the second time I'm brought to tears tonight....the other watching the *CATCHING HELL* 30/30 Series on ESPN and the Bill Buckner segment. :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    good on you brother :thumbup:
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    What a thing to witness, and so close to one another. That would definitely put a real perspective on it. Thanks for sharing your story.

I'd also like to resonate what's been said and say thank you for all you do. Not everyone is strong enough to do what you do, so thanks for being out there and taking care of all of us. :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • I too have a lot of respect for your work.

I couldn't do it, I'm way too emotional for that.

But thanks for doing it.
  • Like right out of that Live video and song...

Thank you for sharing... and thanks for the job you do.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Thank you for sharing your story.... just amazing death and new life..
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Quite a story, talk about the cycle of life!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow