Washing Machine Repair

Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone on here have any experience with appliance repair if so I have a question for you. I have a front loading washer thats gone on the fritz the past few weeks. It makes a lot of noise especially on the spin cycle. The drum is loose and is hanging low. It was working ok but now the wash is soaked when its finished and I have to do a few spin cycles just to get the clothes a little dry before I can put them in the dryer. Its about 6-7 years old is it worth it to get it repaired or just buy a new one?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    having had to have my dryer fixed a couple of times...

it's worth spending a couple of hundred to get it fixed, vs spending several more hundred to replace it...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    Our washer is a piece of shit. We are waiting to get a new one till it either bust completely or we move. I personally can't wait to blow that thing to hell with my 12 gauge .357 and .9mm and throw some M80's and laugh. As you can tell i really hate this fucking machine.
    My butt itches!
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    DURP wrote:
    Our washer is a piece of shit. We are waiting to get a new one till it either bust completely or we move. I personally can't wait to blow that thing to hell with my 12 gauge .357 and .9mm and throw some M80's and laugh. As you can tell i really hate this fucking machine.

How are your TPS reports coming along?

bill-lumbergh.jpg

For thread integrity: I'd give it a shot at repairing it. 6-7 years? A washer can definitely live longer than that. Appliances sometimes are like vehicles; maintenance should be expected sooner or later.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:
    For thread integrity: I'd give it a shot at repairing it. 6-7 years? A washer can definitely live longer than that. Appliances sometimes are like vehicles; maintenance should be expected sooner or later.

this.

in reality, they should go indefiantly with a little fixing every now and than. they are not very complex machines, but them damn electronics will get you every time.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

this.

in reality, they should go indefiantly with a little fixing every now and than. they are not very complex machines, but them damn electronics will get you every time.

They don't make 'em like they used to. :lol:

I remember as a kid my parents had a washer that had to have been 15 years old by the time I started doing laundry. I think it's still running today as a hand-me-down.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

this.

They don't make 'em like they used to. :lol:

I remember as a kid my parents had a washer that had to have been 15 years old by the time I started doing laundry. I think it's still running today as a hand-me-down.

You are not kidding. We had the same machine for my entire childhood and it was a huge deal when my parents bought a new washer and dryer to go into a bedroom-turned-bathroom/laundry room when I was in college.

I think Mr. Unlost and I have had our current washer and dryer for over 10 years anyway. Maybe longer. We've had repairs to both, but they're clearly on life support at this point. What makes me nervous is the dryer heats up and it takes longer and longer for the drum to start turning.

I should add that Mr. Unlost does his laundry every single day. (I know, :roll: but I'm not complaining, I've never had to wash so much as a sock of his.) I do my laundry separately maybe twice a week, point being that the washer and dryer have seen a lot of use in the past decade.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Anyone on here have any experience with appliance repair if so I have a question for you. I have a front loading washer thats gone on the fritz the past few weeks. It makes a lot of noise especially on the spin cycle. The drum is loose and is hanging low. It was working ok but now the wash is soaked when its finished and I have to do a few spin cycles just to get the clothes a little dry before I can put them in the dryer. Its about 6-7 years old is it worth it to get it repaired or just buy a new one?

Fixed a similar issue to this a few months ago. Turned out it was the switch for the lid was busted, and was causing the spin cycle to not go all the time, or crap out 1/2 through. The spin cycle won't go if the lid is open (but the rest of the washing cycle will go just fine). Once I got a new switch, it was an easy fix. I've actually fixed it a few times, they aren't that complicated compared to other appliances.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,695
    I should add that Mr. Unlost does his laundry every single day. (I know, :roll: but I'm not complaining, I've never had to wash so much as a sock of his.)
    Well if you'd buy him some clothes for Christmas rather than inconsiderate gifts like ipads, maybe he'd have more than one pair of jeans, 2 shirts, 2 pair of boxers, 1 tighty whitey and 2 pair of 70's era striped sweatsocks and wouldn't have to wash them so frequently.

:mrgreen:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Poncier wrote:
    I should add that Mr. Unlost does his laundry every single day. (I know, :roll: but I'm not complaining, I've never had to wash so much as a sock of his.)
    Well if you'd buy him some clothes for Christmas rather than inconsiderate gifts like ipads, maybe he'd have more than one pair of jeans, 2 shirts, 2 pair of boxers, 1 tighty whitey and 2 pair of 70's era striped sweatsocks and wouldn't have to wash them so frequently.

how does one launder a fireman's hat? doesn't it go 'clunk-ity clunk' during the agitation cycle? :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632

kick it. hard.
    RKCNDY wrote:
    [
    how does one launder a fireman's hat? doesn't it go 'clunk-ity clunk' during the agitation cycle? :lol:
    Is the agitation cycle the time they spend talking to each other at dinner about their day?
  • Thanks for the advice have a repair guy coming over tomm.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Poncier wrote:

Hey now!

You forgot the 1,267 items of clothing that say either FIRE DEPARTMENT or FEMA. Or, more recently, NANTUCKET. :roll:

I never get to play with the fireman's helmet. And never, not once, have I been allowed to drive the fire engine. Not even up the street.

I call that unfair.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    Hey now!

You forgot the 1,267 items of clothing that say either FIRE DEPARTMENT or FEMA. Or, more recently, NANTUCKET. :roll:

I never get to play with the fireman's helmet. And never, not once, have I been allowed to drive the fire engine. Not even up the street.

I call that unfair.

I think being married to him gives you the right to do that. You may also be able to get away with using the hose. :twisted:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

Hey now!

I call that unfair.

you don't even get to pull the horn chain?

I got to...when I was 6.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    I never get to play with the fireman's helmet. I call that unfair.
    Not even the purple helmet?

(I sense a camel toe moment impending)
  • Ok so the drum is shot and the repairman said it would cost 900 to fix it so I'm in the market for a new one. Anyone have any suggestions, my current one is a frigidaire gallery model but it doesn't have to be the same brand and I really have no idea what to look for in a new one other than it works.
    Ok so the drum is shot and the repairman said it would cost 900 to fix it so I'm in the market for a new one. Anyone have any suggestions, my current one is a frigidaire gallery model but it doesn't have to be the same brand and I really have no idea what to look for in a new one other than it works.

:shock:

i don't think my entire set (washer and dryer) cost that much...i could be wrong, they came with the house.

i've never shopped for a washer, but quite frankly, i don't buy into all that fancy shit they claim they do now a days. i'd go old school top loading. your conclusions may vary. plus it's not something i want to dump a lot of money into, as it's not a very sexy purchase.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Yeah those fancy options dont really mean to much to me either but unfortunately I have to go with a front loader. The dryer is still in good shape so just looking to replace the WM.
    For what it's worth, my mother spent a lot of money on a front-loading washer, and she ended up returning it because by her account the clothes came out not smelling clean, almost with a moldy smell to them.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL