Has a meal ever disappointed you?

Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I ordered a meatball grinder for lunch from a restaurant near school. I'm waiting, can't wait to eat it. I take the grinder out of the bag and unwrap the paper and I find out the meatballs aren't round. It disappointed me. If you're going to call it a meatball grinder, make sure the meatballs are round. There's no point in calling it a meatball grinder of the meatballs are going to be flat. I was having a great day until this happened.
Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
"Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,150
    You must have a great life if this is your biggest worry :lol:.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :lol:

this one time i was out to eat. went to a fancy smanchy steakhouse. i order the 20 oz porter....

as i'm waiting on them to butcher it...

i glance over to the next table, and there is this guy with a leather filet putting ketchup on it.

i lost it.

got up, cancelled my order and walked out.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    81 wrote:

this one time i was out to eat. went to a fancy smanchy steakhouse. i order the 20 oz porter....

i glance over to the next table, and there is this guy with a leather filet putting ketchup on it.

i lost it.

Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    ok...

serious answer...sure, i've had meals that have been lacking. if the manager/waitress ask i tell them. i've had a few free meals...but i don't lie to get it free.

when trying new spots, you know it's going to be a crap shoot and you take that risk going in.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • flat meatballs? arent those...umm, little hamburgers?

Once I was at a ballgame and there was a homemade corndog cart. They were huge too. I was excited. The guy handed me a footlong and it was black. Burnt so badly you could've used the thing to hit a Randy Johnson fastball. I was amazed that the guy even tried to pawn it off on my. I stood there speechless for at least a minute. Then I tried to bite into it to prove a point. it was disgusting. Then he made me another one, but it was undercooked because he was trying to overcompensate. A sad day for a corndog to say the least.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Just about every time we go out to our favorite places. It's like they have a new chef at each one that is horrible and doesn't know what they are doing.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    were the meatflatballs tasty, was the sandwich edible, and did you eat it?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    and no a meal has never not once disappointed me. i've eaten bad seafood subs and gotten food poisoning whilst driving cross country for a living. was i disappointed? no. i was damn hungry.

all my people can cook so i am covered when dining at a friend's house.

pizza? even the worst pizza in the world is edible.

i am fat and jolly god dammit and i aint fucking picking. now pass the creamed cucumber and peas soup :lol:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    81 wrote:

when trying new spots, you know it's going to be a crap shoot and you take that risk going in.

Yes. You might like the food they give you, you might not.

Even when you try something new on the menu from a restaurant you know, it's a slight risk. :P
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,764
    i ordered carne asada tacos once and they brought me carne guisada instead. big difference. tried to send them back but the kitchen closed.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I was disappointed in the pasta entree I got recently, but the roach perched on the rim of the plate seemed content with the cuisine.

On Saturday night went to Remy's, a sports place on the Boston waterfront. Belated celebration of Mr. Unlost's birthday. Food was meh.

But the Shipyard Pumpkinhead... delightful. Except that I declined the offer of "cinnamon and sugar on the rim" and the draft came in a sugared rim. Yuck. Tried the catch the eye of the waitress, but she was busy so I drank it anyway.

I guess maybe I'm not that fussy after all.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • one day when I was living in center city philly with my ex we decided to walk up to university city for some reason. I can't remember why...it was in January...about 35 blocks in the freezing cold. On the way home we were starving, decided to stop and pick up a pizza and bring it home. We had to wait FOREVER...got it home and it was all burnt on the bottom :twisted:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Mr RK and I went to a supposedly nice seafood place, McGrath's. he ordered a shrimp plate, when it came out, something smelled wrong...'cat pee smell' wrong. :?

I said something, and the girl was all 'i don't smell anything' but I insisted she take it back to the kitchen, they agreed it smelled bad, and offered to make another plate of it :sick: we declined, and they comped the meal, poor Mr RK had to get dinner at mickey d's....
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    I was disappointed in the pasta entree I got recently, but the roach perched on the rim of the plate seemed content with the cuisine.

On Saturday night went to Remy's, a sports place on the Boston waterfront. Belated celebration of Mr. Unlost's birthday. Food was meh.

But the Shipyard Pumpkinhead... delightful. Except that I declined the offer of "cinnamon and sugar on the rim" and the draft came in a sugared rim. Yuck. Tried the catch the eye of the waitress, but she was busy so I drank it anyway.

i am amazed when folks trip out that roaches or rats are in their favorite dining place's kitchen.
    do people even have brains? no they do not. a roach or rat can get into any building known to man, especially kitchens/restaurants. with all the grease and food waste, stop the train, here come the rodents and creepy crawlies.

unlost, handled her so-so night out rather well i think.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I'm most disappointed when the food I make turns out "meh".

I love to cook and I'm pretty much awesome at it. What pisses me off is when I go to the store with an idea for what I want to make, spend a bunch of money getting the stuff, come home, make it, sit down to eat and it's..."meh". Pisses me off!!!
    The silver lining I suppose is that for every "meh" meal, I can learn from it.
  • mca47 wrote:
    I'm most disappointed when the food I make turns out "meh".

I love to cook and I'm pretty much awesome at it. What pisses me off is when I go to the store with an idea for what I want to make, spend a bunch of money getting the stuff, come home, make it, sit down to eat and it's..."meh". Pisses me off!!!
    The silver lining I suppose is that for every "meh" meal, I can learn from it.

+2

Specially when I decided to take a risk at cooking something new and have friends over... I feel angry, embarrassed and very, very disapointed! I'm with you all the way, no bad meal can be as disappointing as one that I cook and isn't great! :D
    ~Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too...~
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    chadwick wrote:
    were the meatflatballs tasty, was the sandwich edible, and did you eat it?
    They were ok. I ate it, of course. I couldn't let my money go to waste. I normally have the chicken parm grinder from the same place, which is really good. I decided to try something new there. Besides the problem with the "meatballs", the bread was too much toasted, which is never the problem with the chicken parm sandwich.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    some when we go out that's why I stick with appetizers

can't get too disappointed there... especially if the wine is good ;)
  • One meal comes to mind, it was at a steakhouse in Banff. I decided to go for the half steak, half chicken in lime and maple sauce option. The steak was cooked in some sort of halogen cooker, apparently it was meant to make it really tender......it was fucking horrible, there was loads of this squidgy fat running through it, I barely ate any of it - chewing around a load of fat is not my idea of a good meal. Then there was the chicken, which was swimming in this sauce that tasted like what I would imagine lime shower gel to taste like. Having said this, one of my friends ate every last scrap of his steak including all the chewy fat, so what do I know?!
  • I never really get excited about any food so then there is never any real disappointment either. I find it easier that way. ;)
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I constantly get disappointed in food.

I get huge cravings which I don't satisfy straight away and for weeks and weeks I'll be craving say Chinese and then I'll finally go for Chinese and think "meh....don't know what I was so excited about".

And if I go to a restaurant, I ALWAYS order something which is crap compared to everyone else....even though the last time I went it was great. I have the worst luck with food.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • chadwick wrote:

i am amazed when folks trip out that roaches or rats are in their favorite dining place's kitchen.
    do people even have brains? no they do not. a roach or rat can get into any building known to man, especially kitchens/restaurants. with all the grease and food waste, stop the train, here come the rodents and creepy crawlies.

unlost, handled her so-so night out rather well i think.

In all my years as a fireman in NYC, there wasn't a fire in a restaurant kitchen that I didn't see roaches :roll: .

Ignorance is Bliss :mrgreen: .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • First and last time I was at a Hooters.. I got the chicken wings and they fuckin' sucked.. My waitress was no prize either.. I guess my expectations were high on both fronts.. that'll learn me!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    yes she has
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    Ruth Crisp or whatever is a waste of time and money. I would have gotten more taste out of eating my money instead of this boiled piece of shit steak. Ruined my night and i gave that place the finger and never recommened it to anyone. Save your money and goto Longhorn.
    My butt itches!
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Mr RK and I went to a supposedly nice seafood place, McGrath's. he ordered a shrimp plate, when it came out, something smelled wrong...'cat pee smell' wrong. :?

This reminds me... Vietnamese food disappointed me because it smelled like cat piss. I blame the restaurant though, not the cuisine.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    First and last time I was at a Hooters.. I got the chicken wings and they fuckin' sucked.. My waitress was no prize either.. I guess my expectations were high on both fronts.. that'll learn me!!

That restaurant sucks ass. There's no cutting it any other way. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:

i lost it.

Sorry... :lol:
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Flat meatballs are called rissoles. Is that just an Aussie thing?
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Flat meatballs are called rissoles. Is that just an Aussie thing?

Aussie....Kiwi....not sure where else?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★