My mother sent me some beautiful gifts today

justamjustam Posts: 21,408
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
She moved into a smaller house a few years ago and put most of her stuff in storage. (Big old antiques etc., from her old house and life...)

I've been encouraging her to sell all the big pieces and small valuables so she can use the money for fun and so it doesn't just end up being a sad, rushed job someday for my sister and I when she dies.

So, instead, she had it all brought to her house and she sorted it into four groups: stuff for charity, stuff to sell, stuff for me, stuff for my sister. It was sweet. She sent us each a truckload of things she thought we'd like and it's been a bit like Christmas. So much happier than if we'd had to go through it all because she'd passed away.

I have sad memories of the day my grandparents house was "cleared out" by the survivors. It was so sad for all of us that it's been hard to look at the few things we have of theirs without it reminding us of that day.

This was FAR better.

I think this is the way to go. Now she's giving us presents and can see that we love what she's sent. It's a happier experience.

I just thought I'd share it because I think this made her feel good and we feel good too! I'm sitting at this huge old desk she sent me and I love it. Creaky, squeaky, lovely old desk! ;)
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    justam wrote:
    She moved into a smaller house a few years ago and put most of her stuff in storage. (Big old antiques etc., from her old house and life...)

I've been encouraging her to sell all the big pieces and small valuables so she can use the money for fun and so it doesn't just end up being a sad, rushed job someday for my sister and I when she dies.

So, instead, she had it all brought to her house and she sorted it into four groups: stuff for charity, stuff to sell, stuff for me, stuff for my sister. It was sweet. She sent us each a truckload of things she thought we'd like and it's been a bit like Christmas. So much happier than if we'd had to go through it all because she'd passed away.

I have sad memories of the day my grandparents house was "cleared out" by the survivors. It was so sad for all of us that it's been hard to look at the few things we have of theirs without it reminding us of that day.

This was FAR better.

I think this is the way to go. Now she's giving us presents and can see that we love what she's sent. It's a happier experience.

I just thought I'd share it because I think this made her feel good and we feel good too! I'm sitting at this huge old desk she sent me and I love it. Creaky, sweaky, lovely old desk! ;)

:thumbup: