What is it with Trader Joes..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
and the 30 year old hipsters who work there and act like they really love their job?

It's like they complete opposite of other grocery stores, staffed with teens and people near retirement who all just talk about when they get off work or get their breaks during the check out.

Does TJ pay well???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Owned by germans..aldi. Place is overpriced but they have some good shit.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited September 2011
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Overpriced???

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than Dominicks.. and cheaper than Jewel.

If I grocery shop at any of the following, my weekly bill usually comes to..

Dominicks- $60

Jewel- $50

Trader Joes- $40

Target- $30

In fact, the only reason for me shopping there is the cheap prices. Maybe it's different in different parts of the country? I've never spent more than $1.99 for orange juice there, cheap alcohol, cheap everything at the stores around me..
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,695
    The prices aren't actually that bad on most of the stuff.

But yeah, seems they hire Stepford baggers or something, they all seem to really love the place.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    yea..like everywhere some stuff is cheaper than others..lunchmeat, meat, bread (they have good french bread), produce is comparable to dominicks...In the chicagoland area (burbs) caputos is where its at!
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Gob wrote:

Does TJ pay well???

ours local TJ's starts crew out at anywhere between $10 and $15

for entry level retail ... not too shabby
    and if i'm not mistaken, they offer benefits .... you're prob paying for them...but still
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Gob wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Overpriced???

Dominicks- $60

Jewel- $50

Trader Joes- $40

Target- $30

In fact, the only reason for me shopping there is the cheap prices. Maybe it's different in different parts of the country? I've never spent more than $1.99 for orange juice there, cheap alcohol, cheap everything at the stores around me..

Maybe TJ's comes out cheaper cause your not buying non-foods like razor blades, dog food, toilet paper, etc.?
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Gob wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Overpriced???

Dominicks- $60

Jewel- $50

Trader Joes- $40

Target- $30

Maybe TJ's comes out cheaper cause your not buying non-foods like razor blades, dog food, toilet paper, etc.?
    Of course. I get that stuff at Target. I go to TJ's to buy food only. The food is cheap.
    StillHere wrote:
    Gob wrote:

Does TJ pay well???

and if i'm not mistaken, they offer benefits .... you're prob paying for them...but still

Yeah thats not bad..plus you get to work in a super friendly place. I feel like i could walk in there with no shoes, no shirt, go to light a joint but to only realize i didnt have a lighter and an employee would offer me one. ;);):lol:
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Wma31394 wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    Gob wrote:

Does TJ pay well???

Yeah thats not bad..plus you get to work in a super friendly place. I feel like i could walk in there with no shoes, no shirt, go to light a joint but to only realize i didnt have a lighter and an employee would offer me one. ;);):lol:

maybe...that's too funny :lol:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    You know, that's the one store that I'm just about guaranteed to come out of in a better mood than when I went in.

The suburban locations I go to don't' have as many hipsters, for sure, and the employees' (probably) feigned delight with their job isn't over-the-top or pretentious. That kind of shit drives me crazy.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    we stopped at one once. didn't do much for us...plus its a bit of a drive.

right or wrong, we go to meijers for most stuff, mostly because, that's were we used to stop back home.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    just heard a commercial on the radio for them

they carry a red pepper sauce in a jar from germany i think they said
    sounded super nummy and I haven't made a good one yet homemade

wish there was a store close by... maybe a good time for a little road trip :D
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    no car here in chicago, so my only real option is jewel. the trader joes is just out of my walking distance while carrying heavy ass bags!

didn't expect it to be cheaper than jewel though. might be worth checking out.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,718
    In 2009, Trader Joes was called on the carpet by Green Peace for selling fish that were being overfished. Trader Joes scored lowest of the national chains on Greenpeace's seafood sustainability scorecard and were temporarily branded "Trator Joes". We send letter, made calls, spread the word and Joe listened. By 2010, Trader Joes agreed to support sustainable seafood policies. Kudos, Trader Joes!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• I often wondered why their employees are so happy too. I even thought of applying for a job but I doubt they'd hiremy cranky ass there.
  • where else can you buy decent wine for 3 bucks?
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    TJ has lower prices because they carry mostly non-name brand items.
  • TJ's is awesome. I wish there was one closer to my house' right now its not too bad (20 minutes) but its further away in the opposite direction than just about everywhere else I go.

They have great stuff and great prices. If you ever buy something there that you don't like, you can bring it back and get a refund. A simple "I didn't care for this" is a good enough reason for them.

I do not buy meat there--that is very expensive compared to other places. I don't buy a whole lot of meat anyhow, and I know TJs is all free range and everything, but I can not justify the expense in that one department.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Gob wrote:
    and the 30 year old hipsters who work there and act like they really love their job?

It's like they complete opposite of other grocery stores, staffed with teens and people near retirement who all just talk about when they get off work or get their breaks during the check out.

Does TJ pay well???

VERY well. All staff. Also FT staff gets their retirement 100% covered by the company. Yes, you read that right. I've read numerous places what an excellent place it is to work,truly values their people, how novel eh?
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• GrandmaGrandma Posts: 259
    I found out during a big supermarket strike here a couple of years ago I could do all my shopping at Costco+Trader Joe's - and know the employees get treated decently.
    Costco even got into trouble with Wall St for "overpaying" employees - the CEO told them he considered treating employees well to be good for the company and overall a cost savings due to low turnover.

Really good cheeses & wines at reasonable prices at TJs.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I like Trader Joe's. Their food is good, but limited (not sure how you can do weekly shopping there), and their prices are very reasonable.

I also like Whole Foods...but mostly for produce, because that shit is expensive!! Their produce pretty much kicks ass!
    mca47 wrote:
    I like Trader Joe's. Their food is good, but limited (not sure how you can do weekly shopping there), and their prices are very reasonable.

I also like Whole Foods...but mostly for produce, because that shit is expensive!! Their produce pretty much kicks ass!

they also have good steaks.....instead of going out to dinner on the weekend, we ussally hit up whole foods for seafood and steak as well as beer and sides. can't seem to get out of their with a bill under 50. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mca47 wrote:

We hit up both trader joes and whole foods only a couple times of year. None are really in our neighborhood,tho not that far.....tho supposedly 2
    Trader joes will be opening within our area within a year. :mrgreen: That said, it's just as well. As we always go crazy at both.

Recently went to whole foods only because we had to go to the apple store and its right near by. The ONLY place I can find my most favorite arrabbiata sauce, Michaels of Brooklyn. I hope every whole foods in the country sells it,it is the BEST. actually all their sauces are fantastic, but being a crazy arrabbiata aficionado I can say Michaels is truly the best of the best. Can order online direct from the restaurant/manufacturer, but prefer the store. It is pricey but oh so worth it!!!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Loved this rant titled: This is Why Everyone Shopping at Trader Joe's Hates You

Once an annual pre-Burning Man stop for cheap vodka, Cabernet, and Trek Mix, Trader Joe's is now a weekly essential ― seriously, who can survive without Mandarin orange chicken, chocolate-covered espresso beans, or processed enchiladas? But guess what: While you're intent on stocking up, you're pissing off every other shopper in the store. Here's why:

You don't know how to drive and/or park.
    Every Trader Joe's parking lot everywhere is an effed-up jungle from hell. If you don't know how to properly wield your Subaru into a space the size of a kiddy pool, just walk. And once you're done shopping, throw your groceries in the car and drive. Don't sit there and phone your psychic or listen to the end of Fresh Air. It's rude.

You have no clue where to properly place your cart when getting items.
    If you weren't such a fucking idiot, you would leave your cart at the front of the store by the flowers. Who buys orchids at Trader Joe's? The person you just dumped if you have any self-respect is the correct answer. Everyone knows their plants die around the same time your Fair Trade University bananas go bad, i.e., 10 minutes from now.

You stand in the middle of the aisle while assessing your dried fruit options.
    Quit blocking the aisles while you aimlessly wander about searching for those tricolored baby carrots you got last time. That shit is gone, man. You need to let it go. And for that matter, don't stand in everyone's way for 10 minutes while you determine whether to buy the organic chunky sunflower seed butter or the organic creamy sunflower seed butter. They cost 50 cents combined, just get both and MOVE!

Your kids.
    Your fucking kids OMFG PUT A LEASH ON IT.

​You're a sample hog, plain and simple.
    It's a sample, not lunch! Now get the fuck out of the way so I can get my five Dixie cups of pad thai. Next up, perfectly mixing my sip of coffee with sugar and soymilk.

You're in your gym clothes or pajamas.
    You're not 12 ― put on some real pants. You've left the house and people are forced to gaze upon you. And what if you were to die in a freak accident when a Charles Shaw display fell on you? Is this how you want to be remembered? As a grown-ass fool in stretch lycra who can't afford to shop at Whole Foods? Don't answer that.

You have fifteen items in the ten-item line.
    That's just cheating, son. If you want to see the skinny white bitches in yoga pants turn ghetto in 5 seconds flat, just try it. I'll be there backing them up because yo, it says TEN items, can't you read!? And no, having fifteen boxes of the same cereal doesn't count.

You don't chip in.
    Pack your own damn groceries, lazy! Pitch in and let's keep this line moving. I still have to get to Whole Foods, Safeway, and Food 4 Less to get the shit they don't sell here. And you can ditch that smugly superior look when you take out your own bags. I forgot mine at home, okay? Quit patting yourself on the back for shopping at Trader Joe's; all your money is going to the same red corporate America. Stop trying to make yourself feel like you're all green and locavore and shit, you're just as trashy as the people who shop at Safeway; you just have 10,000 reusable bags and like better olives, cheese, and frozen foods. On that note, make sure to pick up the frozen "El Super Authentico Burrito," it's off the chain.

And perhaps most importantly, you hate other people who shop at Trader Joe's because you hate yourself.
    You're pushy, consumeristic, and gluttonous. Other shoppers project unto you everything you hate about yourself; a mirror held up to the hellscape of your own existence. Enjoy those flax seed chips and spicy hummus until they're inevitably discontinued; they'll be doing the same!
    81 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

they also have good steaks.....instead of going out to dinner on the weekend, we ussally hit up whole foods for seafood and steak as well as beer and sides. can't seem to get out of their with a bill under 50. :lol:

Yeah, there are only two options here in the desert for getting quality seafood/fish. The first is a local specialty store that has really, really good stuff. You pay up the ass for it, but it's awesome! The backup is Whole Foods. Again, you pay quite a bit, but it's 100x better than anything you can find in a supermarket.
    mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Yeah, there are only two options here in the desert for getting quality seafood/fish. The first is a local specialty store that has really, really good stuff. You pay up the ass for it, but it's awesome! The backup is Whole Foods. Again, you pay quite a bit, but it's 100x better than anything you can find in a supermarket.

i don't mind paying a little more for a quality slice of beef. i used to go to a small local butcher...you would tell him what you wanted (porter, strip etc) and how thick you wanted it...and he would slice it off a big chunk of meet. then one day, i was in the shop and the guy handled chicken with his bare hands before messing with my steak. i've not been back since....tis a shame, because there isn't anything better than fresh cut steak. :(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i don't mind paying a little more for a quality slice of beef. i used to go to a small local butcher...you would tell him what you wanted (porter, strip etc) and how thick you wanted it...and he would slice it off a big chunk of meet. then one day, i was in the shop and the guy handled chicken with his bare hands before messing with my steak. i've not been back since....tis a shame, because there isn't anything better than fresh cut steak. :(

Hooray for cross-contamination! :lol:

Yeah, I wouldn't go back after that either. In fact, if they are a good shop, I might report them to the IL State health inspectors. If they happen to do a surprise visit, and get nailed on stuff like that, they'd be forced to get their shit together.