Amp Speaker Replacements

DV36762DV36762 Posts: 3
edited September 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
I recently swaped the horrible stock speaker out of my Fender Blues Deluxe amd replaced it with a 50 watt 8ohm Weber Blue Dog. I cannot even begin to describe the difference. I play a 1994 American Strat and for the past few year I have been contemplating getting new pickups to improve my tone. I was getting horrible bass response and very ice picky highs. Playing live was frustrating due to the fact that my tone was so unbalanced.

After reading many reviews and listening to many youtube videos on replacement speakers and speaking to a tech at Weber, I decided to go with the Blue Dog over some of the more popular Celestion, Jensen and Eminence speakers.

I installed the speaker the day I got it and immediately noticed a huge improvement. My cleans with a 50watt speaker really sparkled in all pick up positions. I was able to work the treble controm on the amp and really minimized the shrill even at high volumes. My 2 and 4 positions are now creamy smooth. My bass notes really boomed through because I had the bass on the amp all the way up. After rolling that back, my tone balanced out like I had never been able do before.

I use a TS-9, a Boss DS-1 ultra mod and a Russian Big Muff for overdrive and distortion as well as the overdrive on the amp and this speaker handles everything I throw at it beautifully. I play alot of blues, classic rock and modern rock (a lot of Pearl Jam) and I have never been able to get such a sweet and classic tone until now.

If you are ever looking to upgrade your amp or your cab, give the guys at Weber a look. They have a speaker for every type of play and alot of their speakers compliment each other to use in a 2 or 4 speaker amp or cab. They will help you acheive the tone you are looking for and you dont have to buy a whole new set up.

If anyone has had a similar expreience, I would like to hear about it.

I dedicated Rearview Mirror to my stock Fender speaker once I put the Blue Dog in. It was only fitting.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    edited September 2011
    It's pretty well-documented that the stock speakers are the biggest weak spot in the Fender Blues and Hot Rod amps. If you don't want to think about it at all, just swap in a Celestion V30 or Tube10 and you've made a huge improvement in overall tone. (The second-biggest weak spot is the overdrive channel; the Blues is better than the Hot Rod, but neither is "good.")

You've definitely gone further than a Celestion V30, in your case. No doubt Weber is one of the more popular speaker upgrades out there. I know that Fender was putting Weber speakers in some of their high-priced tweed reissues, although I've heard that they are now made by Eminence according to Weber specs. I have used several different Weber models in cabs in the past, although I only have one currently. I loved a Weber California in a little Musicmaster Bass amp that I used for guitar. And I put Weber alnico's in a 4x10 cab I built to go under a Bassman head, very tasty match there. The only Weber I have left is a 12F150 that I used as a temporary replacement in my Deluxe Reverb, prior to having the original re-coned. That speaker is now in an old monitor wedge that I occasionally use for guitar next to the pedalboard (works great, and sound guys love me).

One thing I can tell you is that you'll have to break the speaker in pretty good before it opens up to its fullest tone. You can speed that process along by playing it a shit-tonne, or by plugging something like an iPod into it and letting it run at moderate volume for a few hours. The material of the speaker cone just needs to stretch and break in, which will mellow out some of the highs a tad and make for an overall warmer tone. So don't be afraid if you have to turn the treble up a hair in a month or two.

EDIT: I remember now that I still have a little Weber 8" alnico in my Vibro Champ; I had the original speaker re-coned a couple years ago, but I've just kept that in a box while I play the Weber. The original speaker is worth money if I ever sell the amp, but the Weber is tough as nails and has better bass response, so I never swapped it out. Anyhoo...
    Post edited by mccreadyisgod on
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Have been happen with a few different Webers including blue dog's, silver bells, and 12A125A's. Also currently have a 6" alnico signature series speaker in my Gretsch 5222. I've been happen with them all. Even though lately I'm back to leaning towards a Celestion Alnico Golds lately. Weber has great productions beyond speakers as well.

On a side note, a band I sit in on bass is heading to Kokomo, Indiana on October 15 to player at the inaugural Ted Weber festival, which is being held in his honor. Planning to have a talk with the guys at a dinner the night before that they are having on what they can do with a old warnout mid 90's Ampeg cabinet of mine that is in need of a update.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/