***Pearl Jam Setlist Thread, Calgary 9/21***

Comments

• bsbplyr wrote:

Fans complaining about the band...shocker. the movie was phenomenal. they only had two hours. the dvd will have more footage.
    Complaining about Cameron Crowe, actually.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    edited September 2011

rays win right now its 1 game bud :lol:

:thumbup:
    1.5 if they win

and roberson just saved ur assses
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Movie was made for the casual fan and archives, not the hardcore base
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    JC29856 wrote:
    Drummers were glossed over, 2nd half rushed and it didn't illustrate the rabid fan base to the extent I think we deserve

There wasn't enough on the second 10 years....and I also thought they'd touch upon the fan base a bit more too....maybe that's in the extras though.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    I didn't get to see it, but I have heard that PJ fans are disappointed by the years that were skimmed over, and it hasn't received the greatest reviews from the non-PJ community.

Regardless, I know I'll enjoy it as a PJ fan.

I went with two guys who maybe owned Ten or Vs back in the day....very casual fans....wouldn't know a song from the past 10 years....and they walked out with big smiles and REALLY liked it. One of them turned to me and said "that was great". I was worried they wouldn't like it that much....but was really glad they did.

That's good. Maybe I'll be able to get a DVD-viewing party together when it comes out on DVD. :)
  • SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    edited September 2011
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I went with two guys who maybe owned Ten or Vs back in the day....very casual fans....wouldn't know a song from the past 10 years....and they walked out with big smiles and REALLY liked it.
    To me, that's exactly who the film was geared towards.

I don't find the band in 1991-1992 particularly fascinating. To me, the process of the band rejecting aspects of fame and finding a way to push themselves creatively while maitaining their sanity is what I'm interested in. 1994-2003 is the real meat to the Pearl Jam story.

This was what I took away from the film: WE MADE TEN, MAN, THAT WAS AWESOME > (THINGS GOT WEIRD IN THE MIDDLE HERE - MADE SOME ALBUMS, I THINK?) > WE PLAY LOTS OF CONCERTS > ONCE WE DID ONE WHERE THE CROWD GOT MAD > HEY, WE HAVEN'T BROKEN UP YET!

• and roberson just saved ur assses
    yup. id rather see you celebrate the division now and not in front of us. any question about whether giradi was the right manager for this team have surely been answered.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Spencer wrote:

To me, the process of the band rejecting aspects of fame and finding a way to push themselves creatively while maitaining their sanity is what I'm interested in. 1994-2003 is the real meat to the Pearl Jam story.

+1

That's what I would have been most interested in.
  • Spencer wrote:

To me, the process of the band rejecting aspects of fame and finding a way to push themselves creatively while maitaining their sanity is what I'm interested in. 1994-2003 is the real meat to the Pearl Jam story.

+1

Ed thanked Matt at PJ20 for virtually saving the band.. without giving away too much, was that touched upon?
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
    edited September 2011
    Not that I recall. Mike said that Matt made them a better band in that ridiculous ten second drummer review, but that was it.

I didn't get a real sense of the band's MUSIC from the film, that's ultimately what I care about - their creative process, how they see the band artistically.
    Post edited by Spencer on
  • Spencer wrote:
    Spencer wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I went with two guys who maybe owned Ten or Vs back in the day....very casual fans....wouldn't know a song from the past 10 years....and they walked out with big smiles and REALLY liked it.
    To me, that's exactly who the film was geared towards.

I don't find the band in 1991-1992 particularly fascinating. To me, the process of the band rejecting aspects of fame and finding a way to push themselves creatively while maitaining their sanity is what I'm interested in. 1994-2003 is the real meat to the Pearl Jam story.

This was what I took away from the film: WE MADE TEN, MAN, THAT WAS AWESOME > WE PLAY LOTS OF CONCERTS > ONCE WE DID ONE WHERE THE CROWD GOT MAD > HEY, WE HAVEN'T BROKEN UP YET!
    We saw.
    Not complaining but as an outsider I expected more from the insider Crowe especially when its touted that 1200 hours of footage was reviewed. Seemed like most of the footage was seen before, at least I seen most of the footage except for the Andy stuff.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    ....and I also thought they'd touch upon the fan base a bit more too....maybe that's in the extras though.

PJ20 DVD DeLuxe Edition..."DISC THREE- "THE FANS ARE ALRIGHT" OVER 80 MINUTES OF EXTRAS FOCUSING ON THE FANS AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE BAND"
    aqo2t.jpg
  • bsbplyr wrote:
    Yeah basically, I thought the way people were hyping it, it was going to be amazing, but it was a really good music doc, nothing amazing, but still really awesome.

I can echo the sentiments about wanting them to touch on some stuff they just sort of skimmed over.

I didn't get to see it, but I have heard that PJ fans are disappointed by the years that were skimmed over, and it hasn't received the greatest reviews from the non-PJ community.

Regardless, I know I'll enjoy it as a PJ fan.

Fans complaining about the band...shocker. the movie was phenomenal. they only had two hours. the dvd will have more footage.

LOL I said it was awesome? Fans not actually reading posts before posting? Shocker
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    Spencer wrote:

+1

Yeah me too. And Crowe didn't even mention the last few albums....not a thing on them. I found that a bit weird. And did they even say who Boom was? Was his name even mentioned or how he fit into the band? He was first out on stage at the TIFF thingy....I just found that a bit strange.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    IgotshitID wrote:
    sometimes will open

...sometimes the shark would go away

...sometimes he wouldn't go away

Robert_Shaw_as_Quint_in_the_movie_Jaws_1976.jpg
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    We saw.
    It's this crazy board, I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    Spencer wrote:

+1

Yeah me too. And Crowe didn't even mention the last few albums....not a thing on them. I found that a bit weird. And did they even say who Boom was? Was his name even mentioned or how he fit into the band? He was first out on stage at the TIFF thingy....I just found that a bit strange.
    I'm fine with Boom being ignored.
  • Spencer wrote:
    We saw.
    It's this crazy board, I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
    lol, we'll get through this. together.
    pjradio wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    ....and I also thought they'd touch upon the fan base a bit more too....maybe that's in the extras though.

PJ20 DVD DeLuxe Edition..."DISC THREE- "THE FANS ARE ALRIGHT" OVER 80 MINUTES OF EXTRAS FOCUSING ON THE FANS AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE BAND"

Yeah....I just thought that awesome relationship would have been in the actual movie more though.

Yeah well totally ignore him then....don't half have him in it but not explain who he is....and then have him come out on stage with the band on opening night!?
  • EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    edited September 2011
    bsbplyr wrote:

Complaining about Cameron Crowe, actually.

Complaining about structured, proper film making, actually.

Also, I am confused with "they only had 2 hours". Was there a time limit? Conventional wisdom and knowledge of film would suggest otherwise.
    Post edited by EquallyWorthless on
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    One of the first things I thought of.... No boom. He is eds boy and given the love lust fest the fans have for Ed I thought most would notice the same.
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    +1

I read an interview with Crowe and he mentioned that he kind of drifted apart from Pearl Jam for a bunch of years. I can't recall what those years were, though. Perhaps that had something to do with some of the years being ignored... since he wasn't an insider during that time.

I don't even know if the years match up, but it's a thought.
    Let's face it, I don't think Cameron Crowe owns any other Pearl Jam albums apart from Ten.

Okay, maybe Vs. But he probably didn't think it was as good.
  • Spencer wrote:
    Let's face it, I don't think Cameron Crowe owns any other Pearl Jam albums apart from Ten.

Okay, maybe Vs. But he probably didn't think it was as good.

Just like everyone else. Man, have they missed out.
    I am a bit disappointed my "I want to slide down ED'S POLE" thread didn't last long.

I was having all sorts of fun with that last night....woke up this morning....and it was deleted! :x :x
    Beckett....'were keeping pace right now' ???
  • ZiggyStar wrote:

Yeah well totally ignore him then....don't half have him in it but not explain who he is....and then have him come out on stage with the band on opening night!?
    Yeah, you're right.
    I'm not sure how I feel about Ed's pole.