Suggestions on what kind Acoustic guitar to start learning.

mikesbrimikesbri Posts: 965
edited September 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
My goal this fall/winter is to finally learn how to play guitar. I was wondering what are some decent acoustic guitars that will last me a while to learn and eventually keep playing as a hobby. My budget is around the $200-400 range. If anyone knows of any guitar shops in toronto area, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Washburn! I got one on Ebay for like $100 just so I could have an extra guitar to bring to school.
  • i am still new to guitar. i found that about any cheap model like fender, yamaha, etc is good. main thing for me was using ultra light strings (.10 size). those were much easier to chord and hurt my fingers much less than others.

good luck w/ your picking and stumming.

it is hands down best hobby i ever tried. i play every day for past 3 years.
    "Can't fuckin' Twitter, hate that shit" - EV
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    If I were you, I wouldn't spend anywhere near what you've got budgeted. I agree with the Washburn, Yamaha, Fender suggestions so far. There are other brands like Oscar Schmidt that are worth checking out.

You should be able to pick one up for much less than $200. When you get better, you can upgrade and then you'll still have this one as a spare.

The guitar I started on cost me ~$70 (new) about ten years ago and I still have it.
  • Congrats on starting to learn!! I started back in college and it was the best thing I ever did. Yamaha and Fender do have good quality acoustics to start on. However like many who start out on a $200 guitar, once you start getting better you get bitten by the bug and go buy another one. You can find really nice used (and sometimes new) Takamine's, Epiphone's, Higher end Fender and Yamaha's on e-bay within your price range. If you know you are going to love it, I would go for the higher quality/better guitar now. They stay in tune better and they sound better. It's easer to learn on a guitar that has a pleasing sound. Lighter strings are the way to go like the other poster stated.

I would suggest taking someone who knows about guitars to a store, looking at some within your price range, see what feels right to you and go from there. I got a $2200 Martin off ebay for $1400 so you can find some really great deals if you have the patients.

Good Luck and hang in there. Learing can be tough but once you get the hang of it, a whole new world opens up.
  • I think one of the biggest problems with entry-level acoustic guitars is the action...I'd just find one with low action (where the strings are very close to the fretboard at the bottom of the neck) and one that has nice tone. I really like Walden acoustics, they sound great and have an entry level model called Hawthornes that you can buy for under $200.
    http://www.hawthorneguitars.com/
    I'm just still learning too so dont take my word alone...maybe some of the more experienced players can give their two cents. But I play a cheap Fender and find that for $100 more you can get a far superior product.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • thanks for the helpful advice.
    I dont know why I waited so long to start learning.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Especially since you're in their neck of the woods, I'd heavily recommend the Godin family of guitars, including Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, and Norman brands. I own and play an Art & Lutherie, and I find it to be extremely comfortable and a great sound.

That being said, there are dozens of guitars in your price range that will be a great guitar that will take you from beginner to intermediate levels of playing (and beyond). Sure, there are great models by Takamine, Fender, Yamaha, Washburn, and Epiphone to consider. I can add these to the short list: Alvarez, Blueridge, Ibanez, and Jasmine. So you have plenty of options. The bigger question is deciding what kind of player you want to be.

There are a few variables that you should answer before you start looking:

1) What body size/shape do you want? A big jumbo; a dreadnaught (the "standard" acoustic); an Orchestra, Auditorium, or OM body (smaller, balanced); or a parlor (smallest).

2) Do you want electronics to plug in to an amp/PA system (do you want to perform live in front of people)? You can add a pickup later, but if you get a factory system, the controls are all on-board. And most come with a built-in tuner now, which is great even unplugged.

3) Do you want to be a chord-and-strum player (rhythm), or lead (solo)? This will determine if you are looking for a 10-, 12-, or 14-fret body joint, and whether you need a cutaway to access higher frets.

Here are a few other tips on buying:

1) Buying used is usually a good idea. You get a better price, usually the guitar is set up to play, and if you ever decide to sell it, it's worth close to what you paid in the first place. If you buy a new guitar, it loses a lot of value in becoming a used guitar. But if you buy a $300 used guitar, it's probably going to be worth close to $300 when you're done with it, too.

2) If you know someone who plays guitar already, take them with to look at guitars. Let them tell you how well it plays, and you can listen to see if the tone sounds good to your ears. The wild thing with guitars is that, even though they are built one after the other on the assembly line, every measurement the same, from the same materials, some will come off the line great and others will come off terrible. You can play 10 of the same guitar, and one will stand out compared to the others. And you can get a $200 guitar with mojo, or a $1000 guitar with none. So, especially with acoustic guitars, *always* try before you buy, and try many different ones. Eventually, you find one that you keep coming back to, and that's your guitar.

3) Get a proper setup, if the guitar shop or person selling the guitar doesn't have it set up already. This involves adjusting the height of the strings off the neck/fretboard and bridge, and adjusting the curve of the neck (should be completely straight, although this is harder to get on acoustics with set necks). At that point in time, you need to select a string guage; extra-light strings (.10 - .11s) are easier to play, but don't have as much volume and won't train your fingers as well. Light and Medium strings are what most folks play (.12 - .13s) for balance between playability and tone. Heavy strings (.14s) will give you great tone and volume, but even a seasoned pro might have trouble playing it, unless you play de-tuned a full step. My recommendation would be to stick with .11s or .12s.

4) Invest in a tuner right away, and learn how to use it. Get a decent one, not one of the cheap ones. I like the little clip-on models from folks like Korg.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Long and McQuade has several locations in the GTA, and Steve's Music is another store in Toronto as well. They both have decent selections and L&M can usually be talked down on prices if you're into haggling.

I agree with mccready about the Godin family, I play an Art & Lutherie and once I lowered the action a bit it's a good playing guitar for the money I put into it (got it used for like $150). Definitely good guitars at the pricepoint.
  • hostishostis Posts: 441
    my preference is always seagulls but that's because I have hands the size of a plate and the neck is a tiny bit wider than other guitars... And the sound is beautiful
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Go into a guitar store with a price range in mind and have someone (employee, friend, etc) play various guitars for you. Go with the one that has a sound you like.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Buy the nicest guitar you can afford. Learning on a crappy guitar that sounds like a busted vagina is not fun, and does not facilitate growth.
    1998: Alpine night 2
    1999: Alpine Tibetan Freedom Concert (ed)
    2000: Tampa, Jones Beach x3, Alpine, Chicago, St. Louis, Cincy, Seattle x2
    2003: Champaign, St. Louis, Chicago, Alpine, Indy, KC, Council Bluffs, Philly x2
    2004: St. Louis
    2006: Chicago x 2
    2010: Indy
    2011: Alpine x 2