Jury Summons

edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Seriously, fuck these things. I'm 28 and I've had 8. I've only been able to get out of two of them. One because I was living in another state...which they then just sent me a six month extension...really? The other because I had prior service six months before that.

Except the one I got this week, my name is spelled wrong! When logging into the ejuror site to fill out the juror affidavit, it says, "If this is not your name, please log out."

Fuck yeah, I'm out on this one until they learn to spell! Assholes.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I never understood why people have such a problem going to jury duty.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i get why some people don't want to....i wouldn't mind it, except i would have to use sick/vacation time to get paid. my last company would pay you if you were on jury duty which was cool

i've been selected twice. i spent the day at the court the first time...made it into the court room, but before they even started, the case was demissed.

the other time, i had moved, left that country a decade before and for some odd reason they sent me something. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    i get why some people don't want to....i wouldn't mind it, except i would have to use sick/vacation time to get paid. my last company would pay you if you were on jury duty which was cool

i've been selected twice. i spent the day at the court the first time...made it into the court room, but before they even started, the case was demissed.

the other time, i had moved, left that country a decade before and for some odd reason they sent me something. :lol:

The last jury duty I had was a year and a half ago. My employer paid for jury duty at that time as well, except only for a day. I was picked as an alternate juror and the trial went on for 3 1/2 weeks. It just kept dragging on. I had to spend vacation time to get paid.

So it was boring as shit, and I also didn't have a voice in the damn thing, and I used up over three weeks out of my remaining 6 weeks vacation time I had banked to not go on vacation. :lol:
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    How does anybody actually get picked for jury duty if they don't want it? I would think line like, he/she is guilty or the police wouldn't have arrested he/she, because the police are always right...should get you out of jury duty.

I for 1 have no interest in jury duty, don't blame people 1 bit for trying to get out of it.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Yeah I guess if you don't get paid for it, that would be a legitimate reason for not wanting to do it.

I do get paid for it.
  • Yeah I guess if you don't get paid for it, that would be a legitimate reason for not wanting to do it.

I do get paid for it.

That's all it really comes down to for me. My first employer paid for it as well and I didn't mind it then, it was a day away.

But now I just get a time off with pay bank and get 5 weeks per year that encompasses sick days, jury duty, vacation, whatever. If I miss a day, it just comes out of that.

Plus I worked 4-10's, so I was going on Friday's, which is normally a day off for me to get shit done. So it was just an annoyance.
  • I'm 30 and have never once been summoned for jury duty
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    lukin2006 wrote:
    How does anybody actually get picked for jury duty if they don't want it? I would think line like, he/she is guilty or the police wouldn't have arrested he/she, because the police are always right...should get you out of jury duty.

I for 1 have no interest in jury duty, don't blame people 1 bit for trying to get out of it.
    You'd think so but in the past I had some offish comments about police in general
    and I was picked....
    not that I don't like them just I was raising teens at the time.... not our best friends.
    Run in with a few that really had it out for teenage boys.
    I think I was picked by the defense that time.

As far as not wanting to serve...
    I just served again last month and it reminded me of why I don't like it.
    I felt really trapped. Pretty bad this time.

Also serving on some juries can be upsetting depending on the case facts and fellow jurors.

When we move I hope to be in another county
    where there is less crime .... maybe I won't get called so much.
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    one of the few reasons i don't regret joining the military......... i've been summoned twice since i joined and didn't have to go
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    pandora wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

You'd think so but in the past I had some offish comments about police in general
    and I was picked....
    not that I don't like them just I was raising teens at the time.... not our best friends.
    Run in with a few that really had it out for teenage boys.
    I think I was picked by the defense that time.

As far as not wanting to serve...
    I just served again last month and it reminded me of why I don't like it.
    I felt really trapped. Pretty bad this time.

Also serving on some juries can be upsetting depending on the case facts and fellow jurors.

When we move I hope to be in another county
    where there is less crime .... maybe I won't get called so much.

I couldn't sit still that long and listen to all that BS...I've only ever been summoned once, but it was cancelled before I even had to get to the court house...jury duty just would not work for me...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • I got out of mine last Nov but I wish I had done it. The pay wasn't bad.
    I'll be back
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I have been summoned twice, first time, not needed, second time, made it into the courtroom for jury selection where I sat in front row, about 5 feet from the defense team. Turns out it was a murder trial and the good looking young man that I thought was one of the defense lawyers was really the defendant :shock: . I wasn't selected. He was found guilty.

I got summoned again for Oct 4. luckily I get paid leave for it.
  • The same thing happens to me, I've gotten summons *every* year since I turned 18, sometimes even twice and I have to remind them they can only call me once lol Haven't served on a jury yet though, closest I got was when they were picking jurors but they got all they needed before they got to me. I think because they know I work on campus and am required to be paid they keep picking on me :(
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Just ignore it, you won't get arrested or anything. It's so funny that they threaten people with that; like law enforcement is actually going to come to your house and lock you up, they have nothing else to do :D
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I never understood why people have such a problem going to jury duty.
    Me neither, I LOVE jury duty. It gets me out of my normal job for however long it lasts, and I get full pay from my employer. I love jury duty. I have been summoned three times, and been able to serve twice (the second time I was summoned it hadn't been a full year since my previous serve, and we cannot serve more frequently that once per year). Both times I served I got on trials and saw them all the way through to deliberation. And, I was selected both times to be the formal or presiding juror.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    It's been a while for me. The last time I got called was about 6 years ago and I didn't get on a case. I kind of hope to get called soon.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I never understood why people have such a problem going to jury duty.
    Me neither, I LOVE jury duty. It gets me out of my normal job for however long it lasts, and I get full pay from my employer. I love jury duty. I have been summoned three times, and been able to serve twice (the second time I was summoned it hadn't been a full year since my previous serve, and we cannot serve more frequently that once per year). Both times I served I got on trials and saw them all the way through to deliberation. And, I was selected both times to be the formal or presiding juror.

The system needs more people like yourself. But there's a lot of pressure certain people have at their jobs, deadlines, etc., and many bosses are not that understanding. So I get why some people hate. But I would definitely select you to sit on my jury, some people have even suggested the idea of professional jurors.