Options

illegal downloading

EchosNobodyHearsEchosNobodyHears Posts: 583
edited October 2008 in The Porch
im moving back into school today and at my school they can catch you if your downloading music off of programs like limewire or torrents sites. but there are links on here for concerts from mega upload. does anyone know if that is illegal or is it fine to use that? im not sure if the school will stop me but if it is illegal i know they will. thanx
2008 - 6/28, 6/30
2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
2010 - 5/15, 5/17, 5/20, 5/21
2011 - 9/3/11, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12, 9/14
2012 - 9/2
2013 - 7/19, 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/25
2014 - 6/16. 6/17, 6/20, 10/1

EV solo 8.1.08, 6.8.09, 6.15.11, 6.16.11
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I don't think you would run into any legal issues by downloading from the links here, but in recent years and earlier this year the RIAA has filed many cases against students who use limewire and similar sites
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Ummm, it's not the site that is legal/illegal, it's the content.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    im moving back into school today and at my school they can catch you if your downloading music off of programs like limewire or torrents sites. but there are links on here for concerts from mega upload. does anyone know if that is illegal or is it fine to use that? im not sure if the school will stop me but if it is illegal i know they will. thanx

My understanding is that it is "legal" to trade PJ boots (provided they are not boots the band is currently offering for sale) as per PJ's policies...but I am not sure your school will care to take this into consideration.
  • Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    of course its illegal to download music, the question is whether you will be caught

using rapidshare and megaupload is generally safe in that respect, but of course still morally suspect.
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    mjb wrote:
    My understanding is that it is "legal" to trade PJ boots (provided they are not boots the band is currently offering for sale) as per PJ's policies...but I am not sure your school will care to take this into consideration.

I second what he said!!
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Where are you going to school? I would hope they would spend more time worrying about education than being POlice officers.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    I can't believe you just asked that! Who'se posting links on here?
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    duggro wrote:
    but of course still morally suspect.

"You're suspect! Yeah, you! I don't know what your reputation is in this town, but after the shit you tried to pull today you can bet I'll be looking into you. Now the business we have, heretofore, you can speak with my aforementioned attorney. Good day, gentlemen; and until that day comes, keep your ear to the grindstone."

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    limewire is riddled with viruses, I wouldn't touch that place
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    was in same boat when lived at dorms. they sent me a note saying they would cut off my internet connection if I continued to download and that I would be punished.

So I bidded my time until the last few weeks of school. that last few days I downloaded for hours and hours, figuring they wouldnt do anything to me!

I bet right.

As far as I know, with colleges and dorms I dont know of any programs and torrent sites that arent monitored
  • Options
    Megaupload and Rapidshare are "Direct Download" (DDL) sites. The RIAA can track you on P2P downloads like bittorrent and limewire because you're downloading a small piece of the song from several computers at once, so your IP HAS to be shared with all of the other computers.

The RIAA's private investigators can (illegally in several states) jump in with a seed (which P2P software uses to see who has a "piece") and act like any other computer, so they can see your information, login (if on limewire), and connect that information to e-mail addresses, etc., all the way back to your service provider.

DDL sites are direct - your computer to a private server, downloading a coded file. The RIAA can't "see" you downloading (one reason they've tried to have these sites shut down). The site administrators would have a hard time tracing a single download, because most of these sites host millions of files on thousands of servers, and there are tens of thousands of downloaders each second. You're safe on megaupload or rapidshare, as long as your ISP doesn't block them (because of bandwidth issues).

Cincinnati, Columbus 2000
    Baltimore 2013
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,563
    Well - When in doubt, go without! but then again - if u dont pay, its ok!

Its a pickle I tells ya!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    http://www.megadownload.net/

Is basically a search engine of megaupload and rapidshare

If you find that those two are safe to use, then this should come in handy.
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Megaupload and Rapidshare are "Direct Download" (DDL) sites. The RIAA can track you on P2P downloads like bittorrent and limewire because you're downloading a small piece of the song from several computers at once, so your IP HAS to be shared with all of the other computers.

The RIAA's private investigators can (illegally in several states) jump in with a seed (which P2P software uses to see who has a "piece") and act like any other computer, so they can see your information, login (if on limewire), and connect that information to e-mail addresses, etc., all the way back to your service provider.

DDL sites are direct - your computer to a private server, downloading a coded file. The RIAA can't "see" you downloading (one reason they've tried to have these sites shut down). The site administrators would have a hard time tracing a single download, because most of these sites host millions of files on thousands of servers, and there are tens of thousands of downloaders each second. You're safe on megaupload or rapidshare, as long as your ISP doesn't block them (because of bandwidth issues).

That's a very intelligent description of how these things work. Thanks from those of us who are generally in the dark.

But, I have a question. If an illegal file is put onto a site like megaupload or rapidshare, is it not possible for the RIAA -- once they have found a file to be illegal -- to trace both the computer that uploaded the file and all that downloaded it? I mean, wouldn't your IP address be traceable as long as you were on the site and had downloaded something from it?
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    I used to download a lot of music...but I've since stopped and started buying my favorite records and new ones. It's really not fair, and it's so much better to hold something physical.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    bobbyd3bobbyd3 Posts: 89
    If you go to an internet cafe, or a coffee house, etc... you can download stuff and not worry about having them track down you thru the IP address.

Me I just happen to live near some hotels with free broadband that I leech into.
  • Options
    If an illegal file is put onto a site like megaupload or rapidshare, is it not possible for the RIAA -- once they have found a file to be illegal -- to trace both the computer that uploaded the file and all that downloaded it? I mean, wouldn't your IP address be traceable as long as you were on the site and had downloaded something from it?

No. Under the DMCA, all they can do is issue a takedown notice - and Megaupload (MU) or Rapidshare (RS) will delete the file. It would place an impossible burden on those sites to ask them to sift through logfiles to match IP (more on that below) to downloaded file, compile a list that makes sense, and submit it to the RIAA. Rapidshare stores "several petabytes ... and transfers hundreds of gigabytes simultaneously" -link- (a petabyte is one million gigabytes) - literally, millions of files (consider that most MP3 albums run about 80 MB or so), with millions of downloaders at a time.

RE: IP addresses - with P2P, you're directly connected to other computers. With MU or RS, you're using standard http. It would be impossible to trace who downloaded the file because they can do so from behind a proxy - masking their IP addresses... same for anonymous uploaders. As for those with accounts, most of the people who have accounts which identify a name or e-mail address are content owners who store files for download (a lot of smaller shareware companies use "Direct" DDL accounts, which have two benefits - they allow users to download files without having to visit MU or RS -- AND the company doesn't have to pay huge bandwidth costs to its ISP). Others use dummy names & e-mail addresses.

Anyway, until the RIAA goes back in time to the 70's and rewrites most of the protocols running the web, DDL is the safe way to download files that they might piss and moan about.

Signed, with love, a Ph.D. candidate in public policy & digital media (just so you know I'm not blowing smoke) ;)

Baltimore 2013
  • Options
    Limewire should change their name to LimeVirus
    "I can't hear you, you're trailing off and did I catch a niner in there? Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?"

"No, it was cordless."
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    No. Under the DMCA, all they can do is issue a takedown notice - and Megaupload (MU) or Rapidshare (RS) will delete the file. It would place an impossible burden on those sites to ask them to sift through logfiles to match IP (more on that below) to downloaded file, compile a list that makes sense, and submit it to the RIAA. Rapidshare stores "several petabytes ... and transfers hundreds of gigabytes simultaneously" -link- (a petabyte is one million gigabytes) - literally, millions of files (consider that most MP3 albums run about 80 MB or so), with millions of downloaders at a time.

RE: IP addresses - with P2P, you're directly connected to other computers. With MU or RS, you're using standard http. It would be impossible to trace who downloaded the file because they can do so from behind a proxy - masking their IP addresses... same for anonymous uploaders. As for those with accounts, most of the people who have accounts which identify a name or e-mail address are content owners who store files for download (a lot of smaller shareware companies use "Direct" DDL accounts, which have two benefits - they allow users to download files without having to visit MU or RS -- AND the company doesn't have to pay huge bandwidth costs to its ISP). Others use dummy names & e-mail addresses.

Anyway, until the RIAA goes back in time to the 70's and rewrites most of the protocols running the web, DDL is the safe way to download files that they might piss and moan about.

Signed, with love, a Ph.D. candidate in public policy & digital media (just so you know I'm not blowing smoke) ;)

Once again, a very intelligent response. Thank you. :)
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    I know I've asked this before, but would fans be into an official PJ torrent site that offered a flat subscription fee (maybe $5 a month) that gave you unlimited access to official PJ torrents like the 2008 boots, plus trading with other subscribers? We all know it goes on anyway, why not have PJ embrace it and get something in return that supports the band directly.
    Sam
  • Options
    No profit allowed. Pay for it with ads. I'd feel like one of those slimy Eurotrash fake-bootleg-making prigs from the mid '90s if I were paying instead of trading. I dropped 50 bucks apiece on a few of those, and they were generally horrible - audience recordings from the lawn section of an amphitheater with drunk euros screaming in the background, twelfth generation re-recordings of obviously well-done bootlegs, recordings of radio shows that I already had, etc. (I have to admit, though, that finding that one gem was what made me keep coming back). Even the best of them don't hold a candle to any of the "official bootlegs" (a term that still makes me grin).

There are some impressive show repositories (HUNDREDS of shows, dating back to 1990-91) online that offer DDL retrieval, though, if you know how to use Google or ask people who are into that sort of thing.

Baltimore 2013
  • Options
    eoboeobo Posts: 102
    i use this site http://www.skreemr.com/ it hosts from blogs and lets you both stream and download.

has quite a bit of pearl jam too. some cool rehearsal stuff.

I'm sure it's quite illegal, but at the same time it's not p2p or a torrent, much harder to track.
    heh, keep her lit.

Dublin, 23/08/2006 = Lifechanging! X D

Katowice, 13/06/2007 = Phenomenal = )

London, 18/06/2007 = Pretty darn sweet = )

London Poster Wanted, PM if you have one for sale = )
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Don't download anything at school or work. It's just not worth it.
    Do that stuff from your PC at home.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016