Spiders- Friend or Foe?

Comments

• rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Did you ever walk into a spider web, and get it in your face?

I scream and immediately drop anything I may be holding.
    If I'm in kind of a public place, like last week at Best Buy parking lot,
    then I just do a stop, drop & roll to get the web off myself
    It beats the alternative ;)
    (try not to ask)

my son one time while in the batter's box, began swinging & hitting his own legs because a "love-bug"(s?) landed on him.

I wonder where he gets that behavior from. :?
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    EmBleve wrote:
    :lol: I might appear that way to the spider. The proximity is what gets me...they can get to me in a millisecond if I try to catch them. Hey..maybe I should try a cup or a glass instead of a newspaper to catch them. ;)
    guess how you catch flies and whatnot to feed your treefrog? use a glass. i use a shotglass and a card.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    for some odd reason, we are always getting spiders in the house.

i find em, they get a smashing....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    chadwick wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:
    :lol: I might appear that way to the spider. The proximity is what gets me...they can get to me in a millisecond if I try to catch them. Hey..maybe I should try a cup or a glass instead of a newspaper to catch them. ;)
    guess how you catch flies and whatnot to feed your treefrog? use a glass. i use a shotglass and a card.
    shotglass too small... but, yeah..I'll try a big gulp cup and a magazine. :lol:

I wish I had a treefrog.
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444
    conman wrote:
    Sonja_S wrote:
    I'm a sister actually, not a brother 8-)
    She's been an awesome sister to me too, so it was my turn. Not that she didn't hear about it a few hours later when I was dead tired at work for wandering around town on a killing mission at 3am. I'm afraid I'm not a lot of fun when getting dragged out of bed :lol:
    :oops: well don't i feel like an idiot

:lol: no need for that, maybe I just shouldn't have changed my icon ;)
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Rollings wrote:
    Did you ever walk into a spider web, and get it in your face?

I scream and immediately drop anything I may be holding.
    If I'm in kind of a public place, like last week at Best Buy parking lot,
    then I just do a stop, drop & roll to get the web off myself
    It beats the alternative ;)
    (try not to ask)

my son one time while in the batter's box, began swinging & hitting his own legs because a "love-bug"(s?) landed on him.

I wonder where he gets that behavior from. :?
    :lol: Too funny
    I am pretty petrified of larger spiders, but I dont mind little tiny ones. I do, however consider them friends as they help to curb the insect population. Have you ever watched a spider spin it's web in time lapse? One of the coolest phenomena in the animal kingdom in my opinion. I've learned over the years to respect EVERY living thing so I never kill spiders or other insects. I'll catch them and toss them outside but very rarely kill them. Even cockroaches or houseflies.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • I don't mind them. I refuse to kill anything so I just let them run around and live in the house or gently put them outside with a cup.

I'd rather not have them on me but I certainly won't hurt them, they're amazing :D

My hubby-to-be HATES them. He's terrified and used to kill them before I theatened to never speak to him again if he killed another one. He now puts them outside with a cup... He tells each and every one how disgusting it is and then swears at them when he throws them in the hedge :roll: :lol:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Great spider stories everyone! I never imagined so many replies in such a short time!

My wife isn't as fond of spiders as I am so every now and then I have to take one outside (but it's like, "It's ok Sam, you can come back in when she's not looking!"). Same thing with preying mantises... and I must say,
    I love preying mantises!!
    They are one of the coolest of natures creation. Maybe we'll have a preying mantis thread sometime. :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    I don't like spiders.

Speaking of praying mantises, there was one sitting on the inside of my screen door this morning. had to open the door and flick him/her off!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

thats a shame. but remember your living space encroaches on their nature.

Like I said, I don't go out in nature hunting them, but I keep them out of my personal space due to my bad experience. We aren't talking about deer or something where they need room and I built a house right in the middle of their stomping ground. I know a spider doesn't really know any better, so it's not personal, but they don't have to come in my house, and they have plenty of room to live outside of my house. If a poisonous snake were to come in my house, or a skunk, I wouldn't let them have freedom to chill out just because my house is some unnatural abomination destroying the beauty of the land.

I live in a house so I don't have to sleep with spiders.

By the way brian, I love Ladies and Gentlemen... The Rolling Stones. It's mind blowing. It's a shame, I live so close to the place in Ft. Worth where much of that was filmed, it was just before I was born. I did see them in '97 at the Texas Motor Speedway though, but it was nothing like the 2 Texas shows from that DVD. The Exile On Main Street Tour was crazy.
    WHAT A SMALL WORLD I was AT that Speedway show in 97!!!How cool.. I grew up on The Rolling Stones.. so it was only natural I'd go see them live in my lifetime.. so cool!!
  • Love em.. I actually find bugs and through them into the spider webs on my back porch and watch them eat.. Pretty cool to watch
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • WHAT A SMALL WORLD I was AT that Speedway show in 97!!!How cool.. I grew up on The Rolling Stones.. so it was only natural I'd go see them live in my lifetime.. so cool!!

Was a hell of a show, I had really good seats too, like 10 rows back I think. I believe it was the only show on the tour they played "Star Star". I have a pretty decent bootleg of the show, if you don't have it and you're interested I can upload it somewhere. There are several on the internet with varying degrees of quality, this is the best one I think.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    WHAT A SMALL WORLD I was AT that Speedway show in 97!!!How cool.. I grew up on The Rolling Stones.. so it was only natural I'd go see them live in my lifetime.. so cool!!

Was a hell of a show, I had really good seats too, like 10 rows back I think. I believe it was the only show on the tour they played "Star Star". I have a pretty decent bootleg of the show, if you don't have it and you're interested I can upload it somewhere. There are several on the internet with varying degrees of quality, this is the best one I think.
    well I would love that.. but It's not MY computer.. and the rules to my being allowed on it is..NO downloading, uploading or using it to peruse unsecured sites..I'm also not "allowed" to play PJ on it, which so makes me lmao.. oh well, my Dad is free to dislike whom ever he chooses.. is there a way to burn me a copy..?
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

Speaking of small worlds, I'm from Ft. Worth and knew several people who were at the show in Ladies and Gentlemen. Not me though.
    My teenage years.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    All this talk about spiders reminds me of an oldie but goodie:
    http://youtu.be/sHzdsFiBbFc

:mrgreen:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • BronyBrony Posts: 628
    id love to see all these spider lovers reaction as they walk into a mess of webs in their backyard. what do you do.....smile, laugh, and give the spider the thumbs up like a Mentos commercial? is there anything worse than peeling spider webs off your face and being creeped out that it might be crawling on you??
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Brony wrote:
    id love to see all these spider lovers reaction as they walk into a mess of webs in their backyard. what do you do.....smile, laugh, and give the spider the thumbs up like a Mentos commercial? is there anything worse than peeling spider webs off your face and being creeped out that it might be crawling on you??

AAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! you always feel a spider on you for afters after that.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    All this talk about spiders reminds me of an oldie but goodie:
    http://youtu.be/sHzdsFiBbFc

:mrgreen:

Another O.B.G.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8dSBWysmnM

Poor Boris-- R.I.P. :geek:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I like spiders very much.I think they are fascinating,I have one that lives in my bathroom and another that lives in my bedroom window frame.
    I leave them well alone and at times just sit and watch them spin and move around.Their webs are amazing
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    upon further review...i used to have one of these

_41779544_tarantula416.jpg

feeding time was always fun when he/she caught the cricket and you would hear "crunch"
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    81 wrote:
    upon further review...i used to have one of these

_41779544_tarantula416.jpg

feeding time was always fun when he/she caught the cricket and you would hear "crunch"

:shock: spiders scare the hell out of me....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    81 wrote:
    for some odd reason, we are always getting spiders in the house.

i find em, they get a smashing....

EXACTLY.....
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    spider-man-and-his-amazing-friends-0.jpg
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    That's ok that you laughed...let me explain my logic to you.

So...I don't remember living in NSW (although I did for a couple of years, but that was when I was a baby), so I have no recollection of funnel web spiders - you don't get them in Perth and you don't get them in Victoria either. Redbacks surprisingly I CAN kill. I think it's because well, for one, it was necessity - being on my own with the kids in WA you kind of HAVE to kill them so no one gets sick from being bitten (I really don't like being the adult in that circumstance though), plus they don't move like huntsmen do. Yes, they're more poisonous but they're littler and they stay still so you can squish them in between a big pair of shoes. Also, wolf spiders freak me out ALMOST as much as huntsmen, but they again aren't as big. They're aggressive though so that kind of adds to the scariness of them. Oh, and also, huntsmen over in WA tend to be aggressive like wolf spiders (weird I know, but the huntsmen over there rear up like wolf spiders and jump at you, which is SCARY!). I don't like garden spiders, especially Orb spiders cause they get big, but again, they don't move across the damn walls like huntsmen do.

So that's my logic. Sorry for the rambling. It's the alcohol. It does that. :D

thats interesting that WA huntmans are aggressive. must be the heat. ;)

orb spiders are just lovely. theyre like grapes with legs... hairy hairy legs.

i remember when we were young having no problem playing in close proximity to red backs. they were small and shiny and didnt seem like a threat. of course now i know better, but then again i dont play near the woodpile anymore.

what annoys me most about spiders is when youre walking along minding your own busines s and theyve thrown their web out across the path... and it stretches across your face... poor little guys probably think all their christmases have come at once... til theyre line breaks and they see a years supply of food walking away. generally though spiders with webs im ok with.. its the ones that hunt on the ground im weary of. or those ones that land on the ground with an audible thump. :shock:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • generally though spiders with webs im ok with.. its the ones that hunt on the ground im weary of. or those ones that land on the ground with an audible thump. :shock:

Yeah, you know you're in trouble when you can hear the spider land on the ground. That's when I start running.
  • I don't mind spiders, as long as they are not crawling on me. (and I still wouldn't kill them) I am in awe of the beautiful webs/intricate works of art they create.

spiderwebwithdewdrops.jpg
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Not overly fond of them. Will only kill them if needed.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Not into things that have more than 4 legs, but spiders aren't really the worse for me (I'll probably just scream a bit :P )... Now cockroaches... These actually leave me paralysed with panic...
    ~Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too...~
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823
    My friend has one and posted this picture on social media (it's her exoskeleton). It's pretty cool I thought.
    No photo description available

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,742
    Halloweeney. I like spiders. That big, I'd avoid! 
    If you shine a flashlight in the grass at night you can see the reflective eyes of wolf spiders. 
    My friend told me you are rarely less than 6 feet away from a spider.