Options

Outer Space...

Drop The Leash 10Drop The Leash 10 Posts: 7,011
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
It's so hard to fathom that something could have no end. I have my own theory on how the Universe came to be.. but it's truly incredible how little and insignificant we are. Makes you wonder...

Ok, carry on.
I will be what i could be
Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    It's so hard to fathom that something could have no end. I have my own theory on how the Universe came to be.. but it's truly incredible how little and insignificant we are. Makes you wonder...

Ok, carry on.

some of these threads have no end...
  • Options
    It's harder for me to fathom how scientists can shrink a guy in a capsule down to microscopic size and inject him into Martin Short's body...
    innerspace.jpeg
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,071
    it's hard to imagine how these people survived being lost in space!!!!!!!!
    lspace3.jpg
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    It's harder for me to fathom how scientists can shrink a guy in a capsule down to microscopic size and inject him into Martin Short's body...
    innerspace.jpeg

That was the 1st movie I went to see without a parent!

:lol:
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    cast.jpg

It's hard for me to fathom he hit that.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    DS1119 wrote:
    cast.jpg

and Princess Ardala

princess_Ardala_thumb%5B3%5D.png
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    cast.jpg

Never underestimate Buck Rogers.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    separated-at-birth-justin-beiber-hawk-from-buck-r-29555-1270202664-121.jpg
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I just saw this recently, pretty awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0 ... r_embedded
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

Ok, carry on.

i suspect that just like in the truman show if we go far enough out we will hit a dome. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    It's hard for me to fathom that Arnold Jackson was in outer space.

twikicoleman_wcaption.jpg
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    I just saw this recently, pretty awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0 ... r_embedded

Very, very cool. Thanks, JonnyPistachio!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

Ok, carry on.

best book to read on the subject, for the layman; "A Brief History of Time." (Hawking) It really isn't that difficult of a read and one of the most enlightening books I've ever read.

There is no good answer to the question, "does the universe have no end." Technically it does, but there is "nothing" outside of it, no space/time. Also, you can never reach the "end" of it, because you'd have to go faster than the speed of light (which is impossible according to Einstein's relativity) to reach "the end" of the universe. This is because the universe is expanding at the speed of light. Since space and time are interconnected, the same could be said of time.

But yeah... read the book... I'm horrible at explaining this stuff :mrgreen:
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    to have an ending one must have understanding and a form of simplicity. the universe is not simplistic nor is the universe understood, therefore, it is in fact as incredible as you suggest and more.

are we insignificant? i have always thought we were for sure specks of shit crawling a rock of life as if apes or bugs on crack. could it be that we are of great importance to the wellbeing of this grand planet as well as the wonderous expanse that lays spread out before, behind, under, above, and inside of each and every one of us, past, present, and future?

these are the questions most of us have philosophied over, yes/no?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Do you realize we're floating in space?

Do you realize that everyone you know someday will die?

--Lips O' Flaming
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    to have an ending one must have understanding and a form of simplicity. the universe is not simplistic nor is the universe understood, therefore, it is in fact as incredible as you suggest and more.

are we insignificant? i have always thought we were for sure specks of shit crawling a rock of life as if apes or bugs on crack. could it be that we are of great importance to the wellbeing of this grand planet as well as the wonderous expanse that lays spread out before, behind, under, above, and inside of each and every one of us, past, present, and future?

Oh yes, very much. One of my favorite thoughts on this subject from Alan Weisman's The World Without Us. (And I should mention, SPOILER ALERT: though I don't think reading this here spoils this wonderful book- still, you should know this does come from the book's coda.):

"Since the late 19th century, when, beginning with electrons, we got down to manipulating the fundamental particles of the universe, human life has changed very fast. One measure of how fast is that, barely a century ago-until Marconi's wireless and Edison's phonograph- all the music ever heard on earth was live. Today, a tiny fraction of 1 percent is. The rest is electronically reproduced or broadcast, along with a trillion words and images each day.

Those radio waves don't die- like light, they travel on. The human brain also eminates electric impulses at very low frequencies: similar to, but far weaker than, the radio waves used to communicate with submarines. Paranormalists, however, insist that our minds are transmitters that, with special effort, can focus like lasers to communicate across great distances, and even make things happen.

That may seem far-fetched, but it's also a definition of prayer. The eminations from our brains, like radio waves, must also keep going- where? Space is now described as an expanding bubble, but that architecture is still theory. Along its great mysterious interstellar curvatures, perhaps it's not unreasonable to think that our thought waves might eventually find their way back here.

Or even that one day- long after we're gone, unbearably lonely for the beautiful world from which we so foolishly banished ourselves- we, or our memories, might surf home abroad a cosmic electromagnetic wave to haunt our beloved Earth."

Perhaps we are immortals after all.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    brianlux wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

Oh yes, very much. One of my favorite thoughts on this subject from Alan Weisman's The World Without Us. (And I should mention, SPOILER ALERT: though I don't think reading this here spoils this wonderful book- still, you should know this does come from the book's coda.):

"Since the late 19th century, when, beginning with electrons, we got down to manipulating the fundamental particles of the universe, human life has changed very fast. One measure of how fast is that, barely a century ago-until Marconi's wireless and Edison's phonograph- all the music ever heard on earth was live. Today, a tiny fraction of 1 percent is. The rest is electronically reproduced or broadcast, along with a trillion words and images each day.

Those radio waves don't die- like light, they travel on. The human brain also eminates electric impulses at very low frequencies: similar to, but far weaker than, the radio waves used to communicate with submarines. Paranormalists, however, insist that our minds are transmitters that, with special effort, can focus like lasers to communicate across great distances, and even make things happen.

That may seem far-fetched, but it's also a definition of prayer. The eminations from our brains, like radio waves, must also keep going- where? Space is now described as an expanding bubble, but that architecture is still theory. Along its great mysterious interstellar curvatures, perhaps it's not unreasonable to think that our thought waves might eventually find their way back here.

Or even that one day- long after we're gone, unbearably lonely for the beautiful world from which we so foolishly banished ourselves- we, or our memories, might surf home abroad a cosmic electromagnetic wave to haunt our beloved Earth."

astral traveling... astral projection is done and has been done for thousands of years. our minds and spirits are endless, even more so than life. parrallel universes? alternative univeres are or could be on strings or in webs woven together, dangling next to or overlaping one another.

this is a belief of mine on how we see ghosts. the apparition is in fact in a different realm all together, perhaps lost or visiting. what about prehistoric creatures? if all this is the case then dinosaurs are alive and well right in our backyards...doorways folks, doorways.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    chadwick wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

astral traveling... astral projection is done and has been done for thousands of years. our minds and spirits are endless, even more so than life. parrallel universes? alternative univeres are or could be on strings or in webs woven together, dangling next to or overlaping one another.

this is a belief of mine on how we see ghosts. the apparition is in fact in a different realm all together, perhaps lost or visiting. what about prehistoric creatures? if all this is the case then dinosaurs are alive and well right in our backyards...doorways folks, doorways.

or wormholes
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Rollings wrote:

turtles all the way down. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    "Space, the final frontier...."
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Rollings wrote:

turtles all the way down. 8-)

Aye, lad, perhaps the old lady was on to something. But what of the other direction- eagles all the way up?