A call out to blood donors

PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
The blood supply situation is critical. Words like “emergency” and even “life threatening” all honestly apply to the current situation.

Please consider donating. If you've never donated, please consider becoming a donor. I've been doing it for over 20 years now and it is such an easy way to help others.

Call 1-800-givelife to schedule an appointment.

Here is some interesting information about the need for blood donations.

Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
Sickle cell disease affects more than 80,000 people in the U.S., 98 percent of whom are African American. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives..
A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    It's really tough for me. I'm O- as in universal donor. But I never give blood anymore. The quality of the technicians has slipped so bad that my arms get butchered whenever I try. I tried for about 7 or 8 years off and on and finally gave up.
  • I do it from time to time, knowing full well I will pass out at the end. Makes for a fun scene at the local VFW.
  • I'm sorry to hear that, please consider going back again.

They are canceling elective surgeries everywhere because of the shortage of blood. They need the blood on hand for emergencies.

If you've ever known someone who needed blood, I think you would consider donating. I've known a lot of people who have needed it, and knowing that I have maybe played a part in helping them, is a great feeling.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    thx for the reminder. I need to just SCHEDULE the next time when I am there.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Lizard wrote:
    thx for the reminder. I need to just SCHEDULE the next time when I am there.

every 56 days :)

do you have Red Cross out there, or blood banks? I know my friends in Ontario, Cali have blood banks.

You're in California, right?
    Yes...CA. We do have red cross here but I usually donate to the local hospital.
  • Lizard wrote:

Well it all goes to the hospitals eventually. :lol:

I knew you were in Cali because I saw you were going to the PJ20 movie and my friend Chuck (pjammin') is going too and I just love him so much, it made me jealous that you were going to be there with him. ;)
    Lizard wrote:

I knew you were in Cali because I saw you were going to the PJ20 movie and my friend Chuck (pjammin') is going too and I just love him so much, it made me jealous that you were going to be there with him. ;)

it does???!!!! :lol:

Maybe I will see Chuck and say hi!!! :D
  • Lizard wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

it does???!!!! :lol:

Maybe I will see Chuck and say hi!!! :D

Well, I really meant I wish I could see Chuck. I'm not really jealous. :lol:

Please do say hi, he's hard to miss, he's about 6 foot, very nice looking and has the most beautiful blue eyes. And he's a sweetheart.

And a Pearl Jam fan, it doesn't get any better than that.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    ^ I met Chuck at San Diego '09

Awesome dude

He likes chicken quesadillas
  • CROJAM95 wrote:
    ^ I met Chuck at San Diego '09

Awesome dude

He likes chicken quesadillas

Great, so does that mean I can count on you to donate? :lol:

(lame attempt at getting back to the original reason for the post)