Anybody from the West Coast wanna give me travel advice?

Ridin The WaveRidin The Wave Posts: 552
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Hey.

So in about 3 weeks, my husband and I are leaving for a one month road trip, the majority of which will be spent traveling down the Pacific Coast Highway, from Vancouver to San Diego. We leave Ontario at the beginning of October (driving across the Northern States) and then arrive back in Ontario at the beginning of November (driving through, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, etc).

I've done lots of reading about these areas to get a pretty good idea of things we want to see and do, but I'm looking for suggestions from people who live there, who have traveled there, etc.

What are your favorite things to do at that time of year, places to eat, etc.

And what's the weather normally like that time of year?

Any help would be awesome.

:)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    If you get a chance, stop in at the very least one national park in Utah. Personally, in November... I'd suggest Zion National Park, down near the Arizona border. If you're coming from Nevada on I-15 North, it may or may not be worth the side trip. It's extraordinary. Also, the Grand Canyon isn't far from there either. There is some beautiful natural land here in Utah.

Temple Square in SLC is overrated.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Make sure you see the Goonies house in Astoria, OR. It's just after you cross from WA to OR on the 101.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • NarcisoNarciso Posts: 194
    Hearst Castle is amazing in California.
    Slipped on a curb in the road.
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    along the coast from san francisco, stop off in monterey, carmel, oh my god and half moon bay is AMAZING!!! santa barbara is just incredible and HOPEFULLY you drive thru san clemente to encinitas. just BEAUTIFUL.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    We just drove the Oregon portion of the 101 this summer. We loved it. Go to the Tillamook Cheese Factory in Oregon, the ice cream is fabulous. We loved the Oregon Coast Aquarium (in Newport, OR) We rode horses on the beach in Bandon.
  • Awesome. Thanks guys.

What about weather?

I'm trying not to bring my whole closet, but a month is a really long time to be one the road......am I going to need clothes for warm and cold weather?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i know everything about the interstates, highways, and roads in this country. been up and down and all around all over including the west coast. but i am not from the west coast. sorry.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    i know everything about the interstates, highways, and roads in this country. been up and down and all around all over including the west coast. but i am not from the west coast. sorry.

Hahahaha - well I guess I'll open this up to people who have been there and don't necessarily live there also. :)

Any favorites Chadwick?
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Awesome. Thanks guys.

What about weather?

I'm trying not to bring my whole closet, but a month is a really long time to be one the road......am I going to need clothes for warm and cold weather?

Depending on what areas you hit, I would say bring some clothes for both. It'll be more luggage, but it does suck to get stuck in a pacific northwest rain storm in just some shorts and sandles, or find out that Utah has an oddly very warm day when you aren't expecting it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,950
    If driving north on the PCH, do not, I repeat, DO NOT take a hard left. You might get wet.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    mickeyrat wrote:
    If driving north on the PCH, do not, I repeat, DO NOT take a hard left. You might get wet.

they are traveling south ... so, no hard rights! ... haha

anyhoo - although a month seems like a long time ... you are covering a lot of kms especially if you are starting in vancouver ... and will only allow you to just get a flavour of each spot ...

if you are into nature - i would suggest getting a parks pass and hitting some of the gorgeous parks in the west ...

definitely spend some time amongst the redwoods ... there are lots of different places you can go for that along the southern coast ...

outside of that - it's best to know what your interests are to offer any additional tips ...
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,719
    Check out Salt Point State Park along the Sonomoa Coast- been there many times and it's one of my favorite coast spots. Really amazing.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=453

Weather on the coast this time of year can vary quite a bit. If we get an Indian Summer it could get very warm, but the fog usually rolls and and you can get quite chilly as well so I'd bring plenty of layers.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,950
    polaris_x wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

anyhoo - although a month seems like a long time ... you are covering a lot of kms especially if you are starting in vancouver ... and will only allow you to just get a flavour of each spot ...

if you are into nature - i would suggest getting a parks pass and hitting some of the gorgeous parks in the west ...

definitely spend some time amongst the redwoods ... there are lots of different places you can go for that along the southern coast ...

outside of that - it's best to know what your interests are to offer any additional tips ...
    When driving back going north on the PCH, do not, I repeat, DO NOT take a hard left. You might get wet.

better? :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Narciso wrote:
    Hearst Castle is amazing in California.

I'll second this recommendation. It's a really great tour, and right off PCH. Great way to spend half a day.

San Diego should be really great weather (when is it not?). Could be anywhere from the 70's to the 90's. Foggy in the morning at the coast.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • polaris_x wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

A month is nowhere near enough time for the trip we have planned, especially give that our month actually begins and ends in Ontario, so we have a good 4 days of driving before even getting to Vancouver and then at least 4 after we leave Vegas. So our time on the PCH is really less than 3 weeks. But, I hope we get enough of a taste of most places that we can at least compile a list of where we'd like to re-visit.

We're definitely into the nature aspect of it and getting a parks pass. We're hoping to do some camping along the way, but really have no clue what to expect about weather so that might be completely out of the question.

Basically though, we're up for anything - open to any and all suggestions. :)

Our only real time constraint is that we have tickets to Bridge School on the 23rd, but other than that we have no schedule - we'll make a plan every morning when we wake up.

I'll remember to be cautious of the hard rights though! Haha.

I'm getting so excited and reading your suggestions is making it even crazier. Cannot wait to be on the road.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,719
    Since it your camping and into natural history and may not have room for a whole raft of books might I recommend the "National Audubon Society Field Guide to California" by Peter Alden? Our copy resides permanently in a day pack that we keep in the car- that and my Natl. Geo. Birds of North America.

Have a great trip!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    ok ... so ... you only really have 2 weeks tops on the PCH ... my suggestion is to pick out some key spots and spend some time otherwise you will be driving your entire trip ...

the parks pass is a great idea and if you are willing to camp ... even better ... all the parks will be good temperature wise except those in high elevation or in the north (yellowstone/tetons) ... if you've never been to the western states ... my suggestion is to only do a part of the PCH ... say from northern california down to monterrey ...

seeing as you are stopping in vegas ... you don't want to miss some of the parks around there ... zion, grand canyon, bryce canyon ... from vegas - you can skip over to death valley and then into yosemite ... make your way to coast and take the PCH down to big sur ...

i am doing something similar with my gf all centred around bridge school ... except we are flying out ... i got a ticket from air canada for $485 all in direct from their recent sale ... we will be hitting yosemite and visiting friends ...

edit: thought i read you were in toronto but i think you said ontario ... i can call you if long distance is an issue from my work phone

i've done the drive myself and have been to the southwest like 7 times - you can call me if you like ... i live in toronto so it should be a local call ... just pm me and i can help you out if you're still looking for info ...