Moving to Dallas - help

SarahLouSarahLou Posts: 175
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So my husband is being transfered for his job, so we are moving from Chicago to Dallas!

I'm from Scotland and moved to the US, and Chicago a year ago, i love Chicago and have really enjoyed living and working here, i'm sad to leave my awesome job and my new friends.

Anyone on here live/lived in Dallas and can give me some advice about where to go, what to do? We'll either be living in the Deep Ellem or Uptown area.

Anyone living there wanna meet up and show me around??

I need advise!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    My advice....don't move to Dallas! ;):lol:

I kid.

I have nothing to advise you on...I'll go away now. :D
  • Flagg lives in Dallas, so I'll volunteer his name. :mrgreen:
    I'm 35 miles away in Fort Worth so I wouldn't be much help.

How soon are you moving? Unfortunately we are having the hottest year on record so even a native like me thinks the weather is miserable.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Make sure the A/C works very well in your cars. :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,816
    don't root for "America's team" the Cowboys. That's the only advice i have ;):lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Make sure the A/C works very well in your cars. :)
    and in your home

super heat down'n texas
    it aint pretty, miss
    it's frickin warm as rattlesnake or lizard or buffalo shit roastin in the sun

west end, downtown dallas...party fun times and dining and music area
    the carriage rides are fun down there, pricey but fun.
    dallas has amazing food everywhere. tons of great mexican restuarants.

go here... "the magic time machine."
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/magic-time-mach ... nge-dallas
    http://youtu.be/p46jJOOrOy4
    snow white, peter pan, the joker, super man and super woman, and others are waiters and waitresses.
    they do serve booze.
    its not cheap but not bad and loads of fun

you may be seated in a giant crayon box, that's your table.
    maybe a tropical bamboo hut, your table
    all sorts of good stuff there
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i believe it is state law that you own an american made truck....the bigger the better.

also, unlike chicago....guns are allowed and people like em.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Shorten up your vocabulary. For example there are no such thing as snakes, flys, mosquitos, etc. They are now known for you just as "critters".
  • Come to Austin often!

I'm not much help for the rest of Texas.
    Well, fuckers, he still stands.
  • Without knowing what you like to do (other than see Pearl Jam which you'll be shit out of luck with down here) I can't really tell you what to do. There is a pretty good music scene in Deep Ellum, good clubs to see bands in. I saw Brad down there actually.

And yes, it is hotter than a dogs balls down here. Be prepared.

As for trucks/guns, it's not really like that, especially not in Dallas. In my entire life-span I've only personally known one person who drove a truck (not to say there are no trucks in Texas though), and that was in high school. And to the best of my knowledge I've never known anybody that owned a gun. One of my friends dads may have had a hunting rifle, but you find hunters all over the U.S. in rural areas, it's not specific to Texas. You're not going to be at a concert and people just start firing guns in the air.

But the Deep Ellum music scene is a good place to start, there are some nice museums in Dallas, you'll just have to feel your way around once you get here. The 6th Floor museum is pretty interesting if you're into history, or more specifically JFK.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    81 wrote:
    i believe it is state law that you own an american made truck....the bigger the better.

Boo. I have a MINI Cooper and no guns! :mrgreen:
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I have lived my entire life here. Feel free to PM or I can answer any questions you have here. I'll be glad to offer any insight.

The heat is bad, but not as humid as places in the northeast or places like Florida. The problem is the length of time. It gets hot in June and stays that way until October. It was 107 today. But this was the hottest summer on record. We broke the record for most 100 degree days today with 70. But recently we had a summer with no 100 degree days. We average around 20 or so. It is bad, but not as bad as the Chicago winter. Fuck that noise. You can wear shorts and flip-flops in January. Ignore neilybabes. ;) He just happened to be here in our worst ice storm ever. You could go swimming the week before and after.

You must have a car. Unlike Chicago, public transportation here sucks. Everything is completely spread out on the map. Dallas and Ft. Worth and the surrounding suburbs are like one huge city now. That is usually frustrating for people used to hopping the subway or whatever.

I hope you like Mexican food and Tex-Mex. There is a difference and who has the best Tex-Mex is always as giant debate down here.

We drive really, really, really fucking fast. I have never been to another part of the country that knows the left lane is the fast lane like Dallas. If you don't do 90, stay out of the left lane. I regularly drive 90 to and from work when rush hour doesn't slow me down.

We also try to have PJ meetups every so often and had a really good showing last time.

Uptown and Deep Ellum are both cool but very different places. Deep Ellum has a great music scene and some expensive apartments but can also be very, very shady. Uptown is more trendy and modern and full of the typical Dallas douchebags. Ask Better Dan, I believe he lives there and would concur. But I love going there to eat and to bars.

Major plus!!!! - Dallas and Texas in general is cheap, cheap, cheap. You will be shocked by the type of home you can buy here compared to anywhere else. I know many people who sold their tiny house in NY or wherever to come here and buy a 4000 sq. ft. home in the cash they made from selling their expensive NY home.

To everyone else giving my home a hard time: :think:
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Flagg wrote:
    81 wrote:

Boo. I have a MINI Cooper and no guns! :mrgreen:
    Please report to juggler's thread :ugeek:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Welcome to the Big D. Deep Elum I think, is not a place to live. Uptown is better. Or you could commute from the burbs. I guess it depends on income, etc. Lots of choices here.

And Flagg is right about the speeds- except when even one rain drop or snow flake falls then they have no clue what to do.
  • Tenzing N. wrote:
    Welcome to the Big D. Deep Elum I think, is not a place to live. Uptown is better. Or you could commute from the burbs. I guess it depends on income, etc. Lots of choices here.

And Flagg is right about the speeds- except when even one rain drop or snow flake falls then they have no clue what to do.
    That's because it only rains or snows twice a year! :lol:

I knew we could count on Flagg to give the best overview. I agree with Tenzing that people have no idea how to drive when it rains or snows, as if those were major hazards. I think driving on ice is scary but I have no idea why everybody freaks out when the streets are just wet.

Public transportation really does suck in this area but I think it's a little better in Dallas than outside the area. I enjoy riding the train from Ft. Worth to concerts or museums, etc., but the options are still limited.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."