Options

How did you first get into pearl jam?

2»

Comments

• Options
    deek74deek74 Posts: 111
    In 1993/1994 I was offered a ticket to the PJ show at the Boston Garden. I turned the ticket down because I had know clue who they were. I'm embarrassed to say this but I was big into NWA. After hearing my friend talk about how great the show was, I started listening to them. Now I have dropped NWA and now a huge PJ fan. When people come over to my house they are annoyed when I put Itunes on party shuffle because every other song is PJ due to the 1200 songs I have. I can't wait for the hartford and boston shows!!!

Thank god PJ got me out of rap. By the way i'm still kicking myself for turning down those PJ tickets for the garden.
    1996 Randals Island NY, Hartford 1998 Hartford, Mansfield I, Mansfield II 2000 Mansfield I, Mansfield II 2003 Mansfield I, Mansfield III 2004 Boston I, Boston II 2006 Boston I, Boston II 2008 Hartford, Boston I, Boston II, Eddie Vedder Boston II 2009 Philly III 2010 Boston 2011 Eddie Vedder Providence, Eddie Vedder Boston 2011 PJ20 I, PJ20 II 2013 Worcester I, Worcester II
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    in 1991, worshipped my older and cooler cousins. They both were heavily into nirvana and pearl jam and I can remember them going to see Nirvana, Pearl Jam and the chili's on the same bill for thanksgiving or something.

I fugured if my cool cousins were into this music it had to be cool. I remember hearing master slave and thinking this is wierd stuff.

i can remember the red cover of course. I dont remember if I thought "this is revolutionary music" but as I am still a fan 16-17years later it certainly made an impression on me.

I think even at that early age, was 6 or 7 in 1991, that the music spoke to me in a way that music never did either before, or rarely after. It was the whole grunge scene. I remember feeling part of something. And this was when I was 7 years old people!

The Jeremy video, the Alive video, all seemed rather real, and by extension, the smells like teen spirit video all seemed real.

I knew they were singing from a real place, singing about real things.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I saw the video for "Alive" a couple of times on MTV in 02/1992, and bought the album a week or so later with some birthday bucks. I turned 27 on that birthday.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I always heard them and liked them throught the '90's. But it was more of a casual thing and I only heard the radio rotation songs and never really went out of the way to own any albums.

But I saw them in Buffalo in 2003 and I was hooked. Ive been on the bandwagon ever since.
  • Options
    just hearing them on the radio back in the early 90s and thinking damn i gotta get some of their cds. thank god for the radio, because pj is my one and true love.
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    I was 25 or 26 yrs old when Ten came out, I liked Nirvana, Sound Garden, etc, and really liked "Alive" when I first heard it, so I followed them casually through Vitology. I dropped off a bit when No Code came out, but then started to follow them again after Yield. All the time buying their studio albums, but was still just a casual fan. Then I saw "A Touring Band 2000" and I became a hard core fan. The music, what the band stands for, what they say, how they are dedicated to helping others, the planet, etc, really hit home with me and I realized that they spoke through music and words what I wanted to say but didnt' have the platform to do so.

So I'm on board :-)
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    mookie10mookie10 Posts: 41
    I thought this was just a recent post but maybe it was on facebook?

I was 11 years old watching much music (canada's mtv basically) and even flow came on. Saw them jumping around on stage, the hair, the jump off the balcony, that amazing song....instantly hooked and have been for the past 18 yrs
    "Well I guess there's nothing wrong with what you say, but dont sell me there can't be better ways"
    ~Pearl Jam
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    i lost my Ten cassette. i thought i still had it but i don't. i looked for it today. i had the art fold out and everything. my bro must have swiped it years ago.
    :(
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    I couldnt have been more than 3 or 4.

Seriously? I know this isn’t very rocker chic of me, but that is so sweet!

• Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 53
    Bought ten my sophmore year of high school (1999) and enjoyed it but that was the only pearl jam I knew until 2000 when I bought Binaural. I enjoyed that so much I found the pearljam website and purchased the hamburg and kattowice 2 bootlegs on a whim. Thats what got me and I've been hooked ever since!!!!!!!!
    '03 - San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Benaroya
    '05 - Monterrey
    '06 - Chicago I and II, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    '08 - WPB, Tampa
  • Options
    corduroy85corduroy85 Posts: 139
    Two years ago, summer of 2006. Saw Even Flow on TV while working in the US. I guess VH1 was showing it because Avocado had come out. Next day went to WalMart and bought Rearviewmirror.
    Don't go messing with machoes!
  • Options
    ByYourSideByYourSide Posts: 14
    My eternal PJ love is entirely credited to my brothers and sister. They wouldn't let me listen to spice girls like every other 10 year old girl (thank god) So I grew up listening to some amazing bands. My brother even took me to my first pearl jam concert last week. Yay for know the words to nothing man instead of 'spice up your life'!
  • Options
    Left PorchLeft Porch Posts: 837
    Even though I was young when it came out I remember staying home sick from school and watching the videos for Jeremy and Evenflow and thinking this is some pretty cool stuff. But it wasn't probably till 98' when I was like 11 or 12 that I started to really become a big fan buying all the posters, CD's, bootlegs, videos etc...Yield, the album they released that year still remains my favorite PJ CD, for both the music and sentimental reasons, being its the album that turned me into a huge PJ fan. I've enjoyed every moment since then haha.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    kineticjamkineticjam Posts: 154
    My brother had the tape of Ten when I was maybe in 8th grade. I used to listen to that tape all the time. I also had a sweet bootleg called "Against" that was taped in New Orleans and it was amazing. Some dipshit has since stolen that bootleg. Since then every new album is like a holiday!
  • Options
    It was 1992 and I was 34 years old. At the time I was a stay-at-home Mom with 3 kids under 8 years old. That September I watched the MTV Music Awards and saw Ed sing with his eyes closed (for the most part) and I have been hooked ever since.

This week I took all three of my daughters to see the band. What a phenomenal experience !!!
    "Tweet"

"Chirp"
  • Options
    san pedrosan pedro Posts: 169
    when i saw the "ALIVE" video on Mtv in 1992. i recognized the drummer (matt chamberlain) from the new bohemians. i went to high school with him. he got me backstage to a couple of new bohemian shows in the bay area. when i saw him in the alive video i thought "awesome he's in another great band", but as it turns out he was just filling in for a bit. and the rest is history..........
    "DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME"
  • Options
    MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    I think it was 1991, I was 15 or 16, and my family was going through some rough shit, parents getting a divorce, and I couldn't sleep. I got up and put it on MTV and was watching 120 Minutes. Fuck that was a good show to see some good music. Anyway, Alive video came on and the lyrics hit me so hard. I went out the next day and bought the tape and the rest is history. I fucking love this band and like almost everyone else on here this band has gotten me through so much shit in my life.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • Options
    GlttrGrrlGlttrGrrl Posts: 129
    It was 1991. I was 15. I lived in NYC. PJ were on tour with RHCP and Smashing Pumpkins. At the time I mostly listened to hair metal - I just liked dudes with long hair - but I did like RHCP. At the time, bands often bought mailing lists from other bands, so I often got mailings from bands I never heard of. I got a flier in the mail inviting me to see PJ for free at CBGBs. All I had to do was call the band's manager and give him my name. He asked me, "How many people are you going to bring?" I didn't know anyone who'd ever heard of the band so I said, "One?"

I spent a day or two trying to convince someone...anyone to come with me to see this band, and no one had ever heard of them. No one wanted to go. These were the same people who were the band's #1 fans 6 months later after the band blew up...but I digress. I found a girl to come with me. We showed up, didn't have ID (it was 16+), my name was misspelled on the guest list, but I recognized it. I pointed and said "That's me, but my name's misspelled." the guy at the door said, "Do you have ID?" I said, "I do, but that's not the correct spelling of my name, so what does it matter?" He handed me a package that had postcards for me to give to my friends to get them to join the band's fanclub. Also inside were two paper tickets for the show, but no one collected the tickets. They stamped my hand, I found a table with some girls I knew from other shows.

After I looked in the package, I told the girl who came with me to go outside and hand the paper tickets to the first two people in line who couldn't get in. We had our hand stamps, so we didn't need the tickets. I still wonder who those two lucky fans were and whether they still listen to PJ.

Anyway, I didn't know their music at all, but I was totally blown away by the show. All I remembered about them was that they were these dudes in crazy hats who made awesome music. I *ran* to Tower Records afterwards to buy Ten on cassette. I went back to the club. The band was hanging out, but I never talked to them, instead spending my time talking to some local radio DJ and some guys in a local band who I thought were hot. I still kick myself today for not talking to the band when I had a chance.

I've been a diehard fan since November 1991 :)
  • Options
    PJ_JammerPJ_Jammer Posts: 90
    My self I was always a Pearl Jam fan since Ten, but became a die hard fan in 2003. I have been to 5 shows since but am planning out a few more shows a year. i wasn't able to go to shows when I was 12 yeard old.
    9/28/2004 Boston, Mass
    5/12/2006 Albany, NY
    6/01/2006 E Rutherford, NJ
    6/24/2008, NYC MSG, NY
    6/25/2008, NYC MSG, NY
    10/27/2009 Philli, PA Spectrum 1
    5/21/2010 NYC MSG 2, NY
    10/25/13 Hartford, Ct
  • Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    Was living in Toronto 1991-1992, and my friend Jane lived in Seattle. She wrote me (remember a time before cell phones, text messages, and, GASP, e-mail?!?) about this band she was into, and sent a cassette. I listened, LOVED it, and wrote her back a review. She wrote to Eddie on the back of my letter, and a few weeks later she gets the following:

"Thanks, Jane
    For BOTH letters.

(photo of winter wave)
    You get it.. at the risk of repeating myself... MMMM...BREATH...LIFE...

& by reminding you, I remind myself

Note: It's a long letter if you read it s l o w"

Link to copy of letter:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/20157049@N00/2615965621/

I was already a fan, but how can you not be drawn in by that? Saw them in Toronto and Lalapalooza that year, and as often as I can ever since.

On a side note, Jane got rid of a ton of old "baggage" including the letter, so my copy is the lone version, otherwise we would have a "Vedder Original" drawing.
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    It was the summer of '95, I was 13 years old, and Better Man was getting heavy rotation in the rock radio stations. The first time I heard that song, I loved it. I would sit around with the radio on just waiting for it to come back on. One day, out of the blue, my sister walks into my room and throws the Vitalogy cassette to me and says "because I'm such a good sister, I got this for you." It was a very appreciated gift as I hadn't really started to develop my music collection yet, but after listening to the whole Vitalogy cassette, I was hooked on Pearl Jam. From there I went and found out if they had any other albums, which they did, and immediately bought all 3 in CD form (yes, I've got Vitalogy on cassette and cd). After hearing Alive, I knew there was no turning back and that Pearl Jam was my favorite band.
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    The decision of a 12 year old can't be based on much more than this...
    I thought Eddie Vedder was cuter than Kurt Cobain, may he rest in peace.

But soon after the music and the lyrics grabbed hold and that was it.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    san pedro wrote:
    when i saw the "ALIVE" video on Mtv in 1992. i recognized the drummer (matt chamberlain) from the new bohemians..

so cool because i just was going to post a question about that.
    now i don't have to.
    :)