Pink Lemonade

8181 Posts: 58,276
Pink lemonade has been colored with pink food coloring and is sometimes made sweeter. Sometimes artificial flavors and colors are used. Natural sources of the pink color, which may also affect taste, include grenadine, cherry juice, red grapefruit juice, grape juice, cranberry juice, strawberry juice, pomegranate juice or other juices. It is a common misconception that the juice from the pink-fleshed Eureka lemon is used to make pink lemonade; although often planted in yards as an ornamental, the juice is clear and typically too sour to drink.

The New York Times credited Henry E. "Sanchez" Allott as the inventor of pink lemonade in his obituary:

At 15 he ran away with a circus and worked in lemonade concession. One day while mixing a tub of the orthodox yellow kind he dropped some red cinnamon candies in by mistake. The resulting rose-tinted mixture sold so surprisingly well that he continued to dispense his chance discovery.

Another theory, as recorded by historian Joe Nickell, is that it was Pete Conklin who first invented the drink in 1857 when he used water dyed pink from a horse rider's red tights to make his lemonade.
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    you should send this to Dimi :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:

Another theory, as recorded by historian Joe Nickell, is that it was Pete Conklin who first invented the drink in 1857 when he used water dyed pink from a horse rider's red tights to make his lemonade.

what was the horse rider doing in said water before the lemonade was made? or is it used laundry water? :sick:

I'll just stick to strawberry lemonade thanks...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Well while you all were at PJ20 I was in Santa Cruz because of the loss of a family member.

My Mother-in-law has lemon trees so I picked a bunch and made fresh squeezed. An online search revealed that adding a cup of cranberry juice makes it pink lemonade.

I'm sure I'm missing the inside joke but oh well.
    #FHP
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:
    Pink lemonade has been colored with pink food coloring and is sometimes made sweeter. Sometimes artificial flavors and colors are used. Natural sources of the pink color, which may also affect taste, include grenadine, cherry juice, red grapefruit juice, grape juice, cranberry juice, strawberry juice, pomegranate juice or other juices. It is a common misconception that the juice from the pink-fleshed Eureka lemon is used to make pink lemonade; although often planted in yards as an ornamental, the juice is clear and typically too sour to drink.

The New York Times credited Henry E. "Sanchez" Allott as the inventor of pink lemonade in his obituary:

At 15 he ran away with a circus and worked in lemonade concession. One day while mixing a tub of the orthodox yellow kind he dropped some red cinnamon candies in by mistake. The resulting rose-tinted mixture sold so surprisingly well that he continued to dispense his chance discovery.

I call this a diversionary thread.
    courtesy of Wikipedia:

In the US, lemonade is usually sold as a summer refresher. It is commonly available at fairs and festivals, known in some regions as a "lemon shakeup", with the shell of the squeezed lemon left in the cup.[4] Lemonade was also the traditional mixer in a Tom Collins, but today it is commonly replaced by a bar mix.

UK-style lemonade and beer produce a shandy. Lemonade is also an important ingredient in the Pimm's Cup cocktail, and a popular drink mixer. As UK-style lemonade is a popular drink mixer, British & Australian visitors are often disappointed when they order a mixed drink in the US and end up getting US-style lemonade. American bartenders are also sometimes puzzled by the ordering of lemonade in some mixed drinks.

Many children start lemonade stands in Canadian and US neighborhoods to make money in the summer months. The concept has become iconic of youthful summertime Americana to the degree that many parodies and variations on the concept exist in a wide variety of media. The computer game Lemonade Stand, created in 1979, simulates this business by letting players make various decisions surrounding a virtual stand. Some unlicensed lemonade stands have run afoul of health regulations.[5]

Daily consumption of four ounces of lemon juice per day, when mixed with two liters of water, has been shown to reduce the rate of stone formation in people susceptible to kidney stones. Lemons contain the highest concentration of citrate of any fruit, and this weak acid has been shown to inhibit stone formation.[6]

"Cloudy" lemonade made with hot water, infused with mint, and sweetened with honey is a common folk remedy for sore throat in the Middle East.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

yes, a good tactical attempt at diversion...
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    DS1119 wrote:

:lol: I'm glad someone got that actually!
  • DS1119 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

:lol: I'm glad someone got that actually!

:lol: 81, wanna borrow my flak jacket? :P
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

no need....

would you like some whip cream for your cherry?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    edited September 2011
    81 wrote:

no need....

:lol: Awesome, and thank you, but my hubby's taking care of that! :shock: :lol:
    Post edited by ShimmyMommy on
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81's still got whip cream on his mind huh?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:

apparently! :lol:
    81 wrote:

no need....

:lol: Awesome, and thank you, buy my hubby's taking care of that! :shock: :lol:

oh my :shock:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:

that shit MADE the tailgate.

we had brats
    burgers
    pigeons
    beer
    bourbon....

but it wasn't until the whip creamed showed up that we had a tailgate.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

hey now!!! :shock: :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:

What? We are having a tailgate party... :shifty: :lol:
    mfc2006 wrote:

sounds like a private party....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mfc2006 wrote:

81 wrote:
    sounds like a private party....

:lol::lol::lol: Now, that I think about it...it is. :lol:
  • So....how was that for a tactical diversion? :lol:
    So....how was that for a tactical diversion? :lol:

i think it worked! :thumbup:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Lemonade..........that cool refreshing drink.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Lizard wrote:

ha! I always think that when I see lemonade, I think its a line sung from a movie, just can't remember which one. Maybe Steve Martin?
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

ha! I always think that when I see lemonade, I think its a line sung from a movie, just can't remember which one. Maybe Steve Martin?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bojnqBFadz4
  • i loved it..is almost good as Pearl Jam.. :P
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Looks like Toronto ROCKED!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    i loved it..is almost good as Pearl Jam.. :P

welcome home
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    fuck man..night 1 was unfuckin unreal...amazing...
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    i loved it..is almost good as Pearl Jam.. :P
    fuck man..night 1 was unfuckin unreal...amazing...

Dimi, just so you know I was jumping up and down ecstatically (is that a word?!) when I saw you on Fallon...I woke my hubby up and he was scared we were being attacked :lol: Glad you had a great time at all the shows and a safe trip home!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    gonna stop at the store and pick some up on the way home. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • miss it.. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(