wow, 8 years...

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
edited January 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
i was just looking back at a chronicle of my band's shows over the years and i noticed that our show this saturday is the 8th anniversary of our first bar gig...i remember we drove 3 hours away to this huge outdoor college bar in springfield, mo. we sucked so bad we had to have our first show as far away from our friends and family as possible to avoid the potential for massive embarrassment... :lol::lol: wow, 8 years...i remember that show like it was yesterday...i can not believe how fast it has gone by and how all of us are still together.

i just thought i would share this here, because i know you all would appreciate it and you all know what it is like to keep a band together with all of the ups and downs and other bullshit that happens when you are gigging all of the time. our friends and family have seen us a hundred times and to them satuday will be just another show... if they all only knew..
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Very very cool. it's not easy...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    congrats, man. great to stick together after all that time.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • thanks guys.

we have survived it all, substance abuse, mainly alcohol, illnesses/throat surgeries, controlling/jealous girlfriends/ex girlfriends, and even a few yoko moments, career changes requiring a lot of travel for 2 guys, spats with venue owners/management, etc.. i guess it helps to haveour own good management/promoters..

i would say that the only reason i think we have lasted this long is becaue we were all good friends before we had the band. so when in other bands people blow off practice or no show practice or gigs in our band it felt like we would be quitting on our friends rather than quitting on the band. and the guys in this band have been pretty loyal guys, which is nice. i have been in a few other bands/side projects, but none of them had the same vibe as this one. i know i have quit other bands because i didn't really know the guys and there was no sense of loyalty there, and no sense of direction. and that is what kills a lot of bands...

• inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    thanks guys.

we have survived it all, substance abuse, mainly alcohol, illnesses/throat surgeries, controlling/jealous girlfriends/ex girlfriends, and even a few yoko moments, career changes requiring a lot of travel for 2 guys, spats with venue owners/management, etc.. i guess it helps to haveour own good management/promoters..

i would say that the only reason i think we have lasted this long is becaue we were all good friends before we had the band. so when in other bands people blow off practice or no show practice or gigs in our band it felt like we would be quitting on our friends rather than quitting on the band. and the guys in this band have been pretty loyal guys, which is nice. i have been in a few other bands/side projects, but none of them had the same vibe as this one. i know i have quit other bands because i didn't really know the guys and there was no sense of loyalty there, and no sense of direction. and that is what kills a lot of bands...

I think you're probably right,... that's probably why PJ has made it so long. I'm learning that more and more in their book.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • inlet13 wrote:
    thanks guys.

I think you're probably right,... that's probably why PJ has made it so long. I'm learning that more and more in their book.
    yeah i haven't gotten my book yet, but it has been shipped....i can't wait to read it..

when bands that have been around for awhile refer to themselves as brothers or being like brothers i can completely relate...i was having some alcohol problems, basically binge drinking due to some heavy personal issues from around november 2010 until about march 2011 and they sat me down and had an informal intervention and threatened to throw me out if i didn't get my shit together. i was screwing up songs, forgetting parts, soloing in the wrong key, etc. i was a trainwreck....i thank them for that because i have now played 14 shows stone cold sober and i love it. sure, there is not that feeling of euphoria and zero inhibitions that the booze brought me, but i would much rather play sober. i found that i enjoy it better, and can actually relish being a performer. and when i talk to women i don't make an ass out of myself anymore..i have to thank those guys for opening up my eyes that i was hurting myself and the band with my drinking. they did it because they cared. my best friends are enablers, so they just tried to help me by getting me more shots...so i have my band to thank for seeing me through my problems back then. who knows what would have happened had i kept getting oblitterated at shows... i am sure we would have lost a lot of shows...now we are reborn and everyone is re-energized. so it has been good.

• congrats brother...

my band experience made it a whopping 18 months, then the dickhead singer decided to join the military since he couldn't control himself and was f&Cking up his education. Best 18 months of my life, and the best job I've had before then and since. Still friends with the others...

P.S. it was nice meeting you at Hemmingways over Labor Day!

Cheers!
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • congrats brother...

my band experience made it a whopping 18 months, then the dickhead singer decided to join the military since he couldn't control himself and was f&Cking up his education. Best 18 months of my life, and the best job I've had before then and since. Still friends with the others...

Cheers!
    man that sucks that it didn't last very long. it is hard. it is hard to make it work. people who have never been in a band could never understand the dynamics and the commitment involved. the worst part is when guys just quit. that has happened to me in side projects. dudes just stop showing up to practice. it gets frustrating. it is like being dumped by your gal via text message....i am lucky to be in the situation i am in. the show saturday was amazing by the way. great crowd. it was a total celebration.

and yes it was great meeting you too. there were so many great people there that night. actually for the whole weekend. that is something i am never going to forget.

• congrats brother...

Cheers!
    man that sucks that it didn't last very long. it is hard. it is hard to make it work. people who have never been in a band could never understand the dynamics and the commitment involved. the worst part is when guys just quit. that has happened to me in side projects. dudes just stop showing up to practice. it gets frustrating. it is like being dumped by your gal via text message....i am lucky to be in the situation i am in. the show saturday was amazing by the way. great crowd. it was a total celebration.

and yes it was great meeting you too. there were so many great people there that night. actually for the whole weekend. that is something i am never going to forget.

Yeah, it sucked, especially when he told us the night of our last show as a quartet that he was done, but who am I to complain? I had only been playing the bass for about 4 months when it all came together. The worst was the 6 mos or so after he quit when we auditioned singer after singer, and then decided it would be just as good with just the 3 of us...too bad the guitar player didn't really sing that well and I didn't really play all that great while singing...Regardless, I still have some hella stories and 2 great friends from the experience (2 of the 3 guys standing with me in my wedding were the guitar player and drummer). People I know now can't believe it when I mention it...

FWIW...Sunday was almost as good as Saturday!!!
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Alright, Alpine Valley for GST 10!!!

congrats man. It's tough to even find people that get along that long much less musicians.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Alright, Alpine Valley for GST 10!!!

congrats man. It's tough to even find people that get along that long much less musicians.
    hahaha :lol:

thanks man.

our logo for that show was actually

GB

lol...

yeah it is tough and i have been pretty lucky. like i said before, we were just loyal to our friends which translated into loyalty to the band..

• haha, so i abruptly quit my band yesterday...

it has been a long and incredibly fun ride, and guys just were not as committed anymore.. it was hard to motivate guys to want to practice and work on new material. and when i get bored i get antsy and i began to get the itch to do something different musically. so rather than watch the slow painful demise of the band, i walked away with my head high and with no regrets..to be honest i had been thinking about it since right after i posted this thread, and the more and more i thought it over the last few months i realized that i was losing the passion for it because other guys were losing the passion for it....and i realized that that sort of thing is contagious, and fatal for a band.

it is really weird to say "i WAS in a band..." when for 8 years with this band and a couple before that with others i was always proud to say that "i'm in a band..."

i don't know if they are going to carry on without me or not, all i know is i am completely at peace with my decision and i have no regrets...

so i guess for me it is on to greener musical pastures with 100% control over my creations and 100% control over what i play... it is kind of scary, but it is kind of exciting as well..

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Time for that bloated solo record!!!!!! j/k

Best of luck with new adventures.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    the worst part is when guys just quit.

:problem:
  • exhausted wrote:
    Time for that bloated solo record!!!!!! j/k

Best of luck with new adventures.
    haha bloated self aggrandizing solo record...i have never written anything for me solo, it has always been with a whole group in mind. perhaps i can do a solo acoustic thing...that is, if i could sing :lol: :oops:

thank you ex :)

• Rollings wrote:
    the worst part is when guys just quit.

:problem:
    yeah, i was talking about guys fucking off that were in side projects that did not really mean anything to any of us....

this was my main band and we are all best friends. i had been thinking of leaving for a long time because i felt like i could not express myself musically the way that i wanted to and we had creative differences and we could not agree on which direction we wanted to go musically. for the last 2 months we have been trying unsuccessfully to schedule a few practices to knock off the rust and work on new songs, but this one guy could never make it to practice and it really pissed me off. but for me the final straw was when yesterday that same guy informed us that he would be unable to practice for the next 2 weeks, then he had 4 days he could be available while the lead guitarist is out of town that following week, then he would be out of town for the following week, and then we had a show that weekend. there was no way we were going to rehearse before the show, and there was no way i was going to allow myself to go out there and be embarrassed by us not being tight musically. it has been 3 months since we have had a show, when we had been playing 5 shows a month. that one guy was the reason we could never practice and why we had lost so many shows because he was too unreliable. and yesterday was just the last straw for me. i said that i can no longer be in any band with that guy, and rather than make them choose between keeping him or keeping me, i would do them a favor and make their decision for them. and i believe deep down i made the right choice. 8 years is a long time, and it has been like a bad marriage at times. i just chose to walk away and find my musical fulfillment elsewhere.

hahaha you just suddenly quit your band who you highly regarded 4 months ago, while also putting down those who do go and up & quit
  • Rollings wrote:
    hahaha you just suddenly quit your band who you highly regarded 4 months ago, while also putting down those who do go and up & quit
    yeah, so what is your point? this is not the 1950s and if i am not happy with the way things are in the "marriage" i created i do not have to stay in it. so i didn't. i don't have to stay in it. i can find something that is more fulfilling to me. feelings change and commitments change. guys were not as committted as i was, so that gave me a right to leave. so i left.

i have been putting up with this guy for 2 years now. i am not going to let one fucking guy and his lack of commitment and lack of effort make me HATE the one thing i loved more than anything, and that was being in that band. and he made me hate it.

have you been in a band for 8 years? do you know what it is like or what i am talking about? or what kind of commitment and sacrifice that takes?

• mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    Wow, man. Congrats! That's impressive. I've only been involved in a handful of bands, but all were done within a year and a half. The cause? Yoko.

Fuckin Yoko.

Edit (didn't read whole thread) - Sorry to hear about things ending for you guys.
  • Rollings wrote:
    yeah, so what is your point? this is not the 1950s and if i am not happy with the way things are in the "marriage" i created i do not have to stay in it. so i didn't. i don't have to stay in it. i can find something that is more fulfilling to me. feelings change and commitments change. guys were not as committted as i was, so that gave me a right to leave. so i left.

i have been putting up with this guy for 2 years now. i am not going to let one fucking guy and his lack of commitment and lack of effort make me HATE the one thing i loved more than anything, and that was being in that band. and he made me hate it.

have you been in a band for 8 years? do you know what it is like or what i am talking about? or what kind of commitment and sacrifice that takes?

Don't feed the trolls ;) You don't owe jackass comments like that one an explanation 8-)
    Best of everything in your continued musical journey mate!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mcthud wrote:
    Wow, man. Congrats! That's impressive. I've only been involved in a handful of bands, but all were done within a year and a half. The cause? Yoko.

Fuckin Yoko.

Edit (didn't read whole thread) - Sorry to hear about things ending for you guys.
    yep, yoko is a common problem.

fortunately we had no yokos in those 8 years. we had one married guy, one engaged guy, one failed engagement, and all of those women were really cool and stayed out of band affairs. they were very supportive. even the failed fiance one was cool for the 5 years she was around and involved in our circle.

• Don't feed the trolls ;) You don't owe jackass comments like that one an explanation 8-)
    haha thanks. it just kind of pissed me off to be flamed for quitting something that i did not enjoy anymore. especially when that poster did not know the whole situation. it is not like i started this band 3 weeks ago and up and quit...

• MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    Don't feed the trolls ;) You don't owe jackass comments like that one an explanation 8-)
    haha thanks. it just kind of pissed me off to be flamed for quitting something that i did not enjoy anymore. especially when that poster did not know the whole situation. it is not like i started this band 3 weeks ago and up and quit...
    When it stops being fun...that's when you know it's time to go

I still think the 1 1/2 years I was in a band and paid the bills with what I made was the best "job" I have ever had.

• When it stops being fun...that's when you know it's time to go

I still think the 1 1/2 years I was in a band and paid the bills with what I made was the best "job" I have ever had.
    100% agreed. plus i'll bet you never got more laid at any other time in your life haha..

• haha quick update....

i was invited back into the band, after they fired the guy that was causing all of the problems. they fired him the day after i quit. they hired one of my best friends to play bass, so i am back in on guitar. we have several practices already set over the next few weeks in time for our next show on 2/17....

funny how things work out. i am still pursuing my side project with the new bass player so we shall see where that goes. everyone in the band met today and we all feel kind of reborn. so i am excited about playing again.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    haha quick update....

i was invited back into the band, after they fired the guy that was causing all of the problems. they fired him the day after i quit. they hired one of my best friends to play bass, so i am back in on guitar. we have several practices already set over the next few weeks in time for our next show on 2/17....

funny how things work out. i am still pursuing my side project with the new bass player so we shall see where that goes. everyone in the band met today and we all feel kind of reborn. so i am excited about playing again.

good thing cause it wouldve been a bitch them rehearsing in your basement with you not in the band. ;)8-)

dont forget im busy first weekend in may... so try to work those gigs around me. :mrgreen::lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • haha quick update....

good thing cause it wouldve been a bitch them rehearsing in your basement with you not in the band. ;)8-)

dont forget im busy first weekend in may... so try to work those gigs around me. :mrgreen::lol:
    haha yeah...i asked them last night "are you sure you didn't invite me back so you did not have to find a new practice space and a new PA?? :lol:

i think we are open in all of may. we talked to our booking agent and said "fill our available dates, we are back" lol....

i'm gettin too old for this shit....

:lol::lol:

haha quick update....

good to hear this -- It didn't sound right that YOU be out of the band that you obviously loved and that the problem guy remain in the band....continuing problems for the rest of them.

This is the right situtaiton now...(.is what I meant to say before, too, but did so poorly :| . sorry)