Options

How's Jack Irons's back?

2»

Comments

• Options
    whichwaysignwhichwaysign Posts: 229
    Leave Jack the fuck alone. To give a piss poor analogy, he is that dynamite middle reliever that bridges the gap to the closer in a baseball game. Without Jack, we as fans probably aren't winning any games now with Matt on sticks.

Seriously, if you could drum for Pearl Jam, you would. Jack is no different. Obviously things have happened in his personal life that have made it not an option.

Be grateful for No Code and Yield.

Personally, when I came home from school and saw the MTV news bit (yes they still did that way back when, right before the top of the hour) about Dave A being kicked out of the band, I thought my fav band was done. Jack filled in better than anyone could ever hope for, and we all owe him a debt of gratitude. To slam any other drummer that's not Jack is just insane. To call him mental if just fucking ridiculous. We're all goddamn mental. I mean we all spend too much time on this insignificant message board.

Long live the trash can substituting as a ride in a drum kit.
    'I'm like an opening band for the sun'
  • Options
    I agree 100%. Matt's a great drummer but I think his presence changed the direction of the PJ's music at the time he took over. It seems to me that No Code and Yield are worlds apart from Binaural and Riot Act.

after this tour how could anyone want to change things,
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    after this tour how could anyone want to change things,

True
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    I'm surprised people like matt better. I love Jack's loud, hard drumming. He's a little rougher than Matt, but I think it transaltes into more energy at a live show.
    I used be more of a Jack fan, but after this past tour and seeing Harrybu McCage live- Matt is my new favorite drummer
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    yes matt can go and do pop rock elsewhere

jack can come back
    :)
  • Options
    Jack is not coming back to Pearl Jam since leaving PJ he has done another album with Eleven, a solo album and is now on drums with Spinnerette which is gonna kick all sorts of arse.:)

http://www.myspace.com/123837097
    thank you for posting this- I forgot all about it
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    I love Jack Irons and what he brought to the band circa 1994-1998. He was such a creative drummer and had a very unique style but the band is completly different now and Matt Cammeron has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is the man for Pearl Jam.

They are better now than they ever have been and Matt's drumming on this last tour was awesome.

I wish Jack Irons all the best because he's such a class act. But Matt Cammeron is the best Pearl Jam drummer now and ever.
  • Options
    moho wrote:
    Yeah as if Matt comes into the room and goes:

"Right! From now on you do what I say when I say it! If I say jump, you jump motherfuckers!"

and from that point on (somewhere in 1999) Pearl Jam began to suck.

Get the fuck over it Matt is clearly the best fit for PJ at the moment (listen to the latest boots for evidence that he is clearly the best drummer they've ever had) and hopefully for the rest of the bands lifetime.

Jack was good in the studio but idiots attempting to say it was his influence that made No Code and Yield amazing and Matt's influence that made Binaural and Riot Act bad are just being ignorant of two MAJOR factors:

1. The band is 5 people, the others had more influence over those albums' directions, it was the collective mindset and feeling within the group that styled those albums, NOT Jack Irons entirely or Matt entirely... Jesus thats fucking obvious.

2. Binaural and Riot Act don't suck fool! They just take more time to appreciate, they're harder to grasp, more artistic in many ways and far more intellectual in their respective concepts.

If anything, it was probably Ed's development as a person that led the overall feel of Binaural and Riot Act.

First of all, calling people fools and idiots makes YOU the ignorant one. This is a preference question, so any answer given is a correct one because it's someone else's opinion. Secondly, if you were a true music fan, you would know not to use the "they just take more time to appreciate" line to defend your point. Third: You think Riot Act and Binaural are more "intellectual" than No Code and Yield?....that's a funny one.
    Let me introduce some FACTS to you:

1) Songs written or Co-Written by Jack Irons: Who You Are, In My Tree, Red Mosquito and I'm Open on No Code......he wrote NOTHING on Yield (hence the name of the album....he probably realized that Pearl Jam is and always has been Ament, Vedder, Gossard and McCready and yielded a back seat). IMO, the tunes Irons co-wrote on No Code are arguably some of their best tunes...ever.

2) Songs written or Co-Written by Matt Cameron: Evacuation on Binaural. Cropduster, You Are and Get Right on Riot Act...and Unemployable on Pearl Jam. Right from the start, Evacuation's chorus never came to fruition IMO. It sounds like Vedder struggles singing to Cameron's complicated changes in the "It's like your waiting for a diamond shore to wash your way" part. Sophisticated changes and choruses? Great for Soundgarden...bad for Pearl Jam! IMO, the tunes Cameron co-wrote on Binaural, Riot Act and Pearl Jam are arguably some of their worst tunes ...ever.

Before everyone jumps down my throat let me say that I think Matt Cameron is a far superior drummer..technically. I emphasize "technically" because I think Irons had better feel and complimented Pearl Jam much better when it came to writing songs and writing drum parts for songs. This point is amusing because Matt Cameron playes Irons' drum parts in concert..better than Irons did! This argument could go on forever. And remember, opinions are like a-holes....everybody has one!
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    Pretty sure Jack Irons is the "personal reason" that Ed had to back out of Bridge last year- if anyone remembers that.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    2) Songs written or Co-Written by Matt Cameron: Evacuation on Binaural. Cropduster, You Are and Get Right on Riot Act...and Unemployable on Pearl Jam. Right from the start, Evacuation's chorus never came to fruition IMO. It sounds like Vedder struggles singing to Cameron's complicated changes in the "It's like your waiting for a diamond shore to wash your way" part. Sophisticated changes and choruses? Great for Soundgarden...bad for Pearl Jam! IMO, the tunes Cameron co-wrote on Binaural, Riot Act and Pearl Jam are arguably some of their worst tunes ...ever.

Wow, Matt shoudl stay the f out of the whole song writing process. Never looked that deep into it, but I don't care for any of those songs Matt had a part in writing.
  • Options
    Wow, Matt shoudl stay the f out of the whole song writing process. Never looked that deep into it, but I don't care for any of those songs Matt had a part in writing.

Yeah, it's pretty awful isn't it? Like I said, it's all a preference and opinion thing but...the writing is on the wall. Irons is a better fit for Pearl Jam than Cameron. Period.
  • Options
    alive25alive25 Posts: 124
    yeah matt plays way to fast live. i've never seen jack irons live but he probably wouldnt ruin severd hand and some other ones. Matt if you see this,SLOW DOWN!!!!!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    he wrote NOTHING on Yield

Jack wrote the "RED DOT" song on "Yield" I believe.
    he wrote NOTHING on Yield (hence the name of the album....he probably realized that Pearl Jam is and always has been Ament, Vedder, Gossard and McCready and yielded a back seat)

Don't think that has anything to do with it.

Also, Jack has/had carpal tunnel syndrome in the past....you can see him icing down his arms in the SVT dvd.
  • Options
    NJChris wrote:

Don't think that has anything to do with it.

Also, Jack has/had carpal tunnel syndrome in the past....you can see him icing down his arms in the SVT dvd.

I was being sarcastic about the Yield analogy. You can't really consider Red Dot a song, can you? I guess technically yes, but they never have or ever will play it live and if they did nobody would give a shit.
  • Options
    john dakerjohn daker Posts: 18
    Jack came out at the irvine show i went to and played drums on RITFW. it was cool but i prefer matt. plus if it weren't for matt i wouldn't have been able to enjoy my first pearl jam show in '98... they would've cancelled the tour looking for another drummer. sure they would've found one but c'mon... matt cameron is perfect for pearl jam. i can't think of one drummer i'd rather see with them.
    07/08/1998 - phoenix ... 06/03/2003 - irvine 2 ... 06/07/2003 - phoenix ... 07/06/2006 - vegas ... 07/10/2006 - l.a.

http://www.myspace.com/willhambfg
  • Options
    john dakerjohn daker Posts: 18
    oh yeah. forgot to mention matt's kickass backing vocals...

where's jack irons on that one...
    07/08/1998 - phoenix ... 06/03/2003 - irvine 2 ... 06/07/2003 - phoenix ... 07/06/2006 - vegas ... 07/10/2006 - l.a.

http://www.myspace.com/willhambfg
  • Options
    corduroy85corduroy85 Posts: 139
    alive25 wrote:
    yeah matt plays way to fast live. i've never seen jack irons live but he probably wouldnt ruin severd hand and some other ones. Matt if you see this,SLOW DOWN!!!!!

I don't think Matt is the reason why they play their songs in a faster tempo than they are recorded. Maybe the reason is that they have too many songs to go through each single show.
    Don't go messing with machoes!
  • Options
    I don't care how fast or slow they play...just as long as they don't play Unemployable.
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    Is Jack Irons's head better yet? I liked the world better when Matt was with Soundgarden and Jack was with PJ. Wasn't it much better then?

Jack was going to hit Laforge on the head with a sock full of quarters, but he threw his back out humping your mom last night. I've got a nickel for anyone who gets the reference.
    I like bands.
  • Options
    NJChris wrote:
    yeap
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    whichwaysignwhichwaysign Posts: 229
    have people forgotten who was doing the drumming on the 'original' demos?
    Matt was the first drummer of the band really, and now it's come full circle
    'I'm like an opening band for the sun'
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    10 years now, nothing changed

wasn't jack the drummer in Eleven???
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    55 AB MUD55 AB MUD Posts: 10
    Jack was going to hit Laforge on the head with a sock full of quarters, but he threw his back out humping your mom last night. I've got a nickel for anyone who gets the reference.

Damn...if it said LaFours, I'd have gone with Mallrats...but otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about.

There goes my chance at the nickel. :(
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    First of all, calling people fools and idiots makes YOU the ignorant one. This is a preference question, so any answer given is a correct one because it's someone else's opinion. Secondly, if you were a true music fan, you would know not to use the "they just take more time to appreciate" line to defend your point. Third: You think Riot Act and Binaural are more "intellectual" than No Code and Yield?....that's a funny one.
    Let me introduce some FACTS to you:

1) Songs written or Co-Written by Jack Irons: Who You Are, In My Tree, Red Mosquito and I'm Open on No Code......he wrote NOTHING on Yield (hence the name of the album....he probably realized that Pearl Jam is and always has been Ament, Vedder, Gossard and McCready and yielded a back seat). IMO, the tunes Irons co-wrote on No Code are arguably some of their best tunes...ever.

Before everyone jumps down my throat let me say that I think Matt Cameron is a far superior drummer..technically. I emphasize "technically" because I think Irons had better feel and complimented Pearl Jam much better when it came to writing songs and writing drum parts for songs. This point is amusing because Matt Cameron playes Irons' drum parts in concert..better than Irons did! This argument could go on forever. And remember, opinions are like a-holes....everybody has one!
    It was wrong for PJ to have released Get Right. what an awful song that is. :o

Binaural is a great album though, I can't say the same for R.A., which is probably their only bad album.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    It was wrong for PJ to have released Get Right. what an awful song that is. :o

Binaural is a great album though, I can't say the same for R.A., which is probably their only bad album.

I go back and forth as to which is worse, Binaural or RA. At least most can agree that they are the 2 worst.