Options

Advice on starting Vinyl collection?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nami wrote:
    boyo79 wrote:
    My advice is... don't start :lol: It's a damn addiction.

Definitely the best advice!!!!

Get a record player BEFORE getting the vinyl. I've been collecting vinyl for last 12 months and still haven't got round to buying a turntable :lol::lol::lol::lol:

LOL same here.... I am torn betweend a Rega P1 and Project debut III atm. Im not sure if its worth investing so much money for something I will only play a couple times. How i am feeling but prob will play more in long run. Then theres the pre amp another $160. Then the cartridge... reviews i am going through keep saying to upgrade- another $50- $100.

I would love a simple $200 player that wont ruin my records and give me time to see if this is something i plan on doing over cd purchasing and keeping up over time.

I have started my PJ collection, picked up the who, the doors, and steve miller. I only want to get classic rock and PJ.

Cheers and happy collecting.
    Nami

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATLP120- ... 025&sr=8-1
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    I'm up to 2 vinyls:

Ed's Uke album and Backspacer White. I'm on my way!! :lol:
    1996: Seattle, WA.
    1997: Oakland, CA - (Rolling Stones)
    1998: Portland, OR. & Seattle, WA.
    2009: Portland, OR.
    2011: East Troy, WI. 1 & 2 - PJ20 & Portland, OR. - Ed Solo
    2012: Dallas, TX. - Ed Solo
    2013: Dallas, TX. Oklahoma City, OK. & Portland, OR.
    2014: Tulsa, OK
    2015: Seattle WA. - Mad Season
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Miami, FL. & Chicago, IL - Wrigley 1
    2017: Dana Point - Ohana Fest - Ed Solo
    2018: Seattle WA. 1 & 2 - Safeco
    2021: Dana Point - Ohana Fest 1st Weekend & Night 1 & 2 - Ed Solo,
    2022: Louisville, St Louis
  • Options
    I'm up to 2 vinyls:

Ed's Uke album and Backspacer White. I'm on my way!! :lol:

I somehow lost Binaural and Riot Act (among a lot of other stuff in one of our moves years ago), but have all the other studio PJ vinyl. I actually found Lost Dogs by accident in a record shop a few years ago in Newport RI for $39 I believe. They also had the original Appetite for destruction cover but for some reason I passed on it.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    I started with records that no one wanted and gave away, and then I bought some at tag sales and flea markets, some more hand-me downs and some new purchases. I enjoyed every sec of it. Much more fun then just clicking on ebay. :D

I once bought 6 big boxes of 45's [/b]for like 50 bucks. Most were in cases and/or sleeves and in pretty good condition. So much fun going through all of them. I put my favs aside in a shoe box on the side and when me and the wife or friends are hanging, we go through like a manuel jukebox.
    Just .enjoy the music and live within your means

HAVE FUN!
  • Options
    I secured a deal yesterday for the last of the 19 Christmas singles i need..

I finally will have them all :)

Keep in mind that only 1500 copies of the 1991 single were produced, but less than that actually made it into circulation. That thing is a gem...
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    be prepared to drop a lot of moolah

ten 15-40
    vs 15-40
    vit 15-40
    no code 50-75
    yield 50-100
    binaural 85-115
    lost dogs 75-100
    Greatest hits 60-100
    Riot act 65-90
    backspacer 15-40
    avocado- 35-60
    benaroya 600-1000
    fan club singles...range in price from 5-125(first one)
    general prices you can usually find these for

Most of these are opened and used. Sealed Lost Dogs, RVM, Binaural, Riot Act, Avocado, Yield and No Code go for 2 to 3 times that sealed. Sometimes more.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    They also had the original Appetite for destruction cover but for some reason I passed on it.

Are you fricken serious???

Can't believe record store owner would put it in the racks. They would/should know the value of that album.

My advice start a short list of what you are looking for then keep adding to your list of what you have bought and what you want.

Then you will not end like me and have 3 copies of Motorhead, Ace of Spades and other double/triple buys over the years.

Also if you find something you like but its not in VG condition buy it but try and remember the quality and if you find a copy in better condition see if your "pusher" will give you face value for original purchase in a trade and keep on buying up.

Also I ask my local to keep the albums I am intersted in behind the counter until I have a chance to head home and make sure I don't have a VG version of the album already at home.

I say skip EBAY only because I have as much fun and learn so much more about music from hanging out and shooting the poop with my used record store "pushers" and other addicts.

As many have noted its an addictive hobby that I guarantee will expand your musical knowledge ten-fold easily. You'll be buying vinyl from bands or music styles most of your friends have never heard of.

Have to add I found a Firehose "Flying the Flannel" on vinyl at my local dealer and I was buzzing for a week.

Hit swap meets, garage sales, flea markets, and I hate to say this but from my local alot of album collections are in the hands of dealers. Go by a store like Amobea in Hwood and the used material isn't there like it used to be. Peoples collections have been picked over and anything that is worth anything is ending up in someone's basement for safe keeping.

Last thing buy 80's metal, for something so few people listened to its worth more then most much more popular records. Early Metallica, Slayer, Venom, Motorhead all have resale and collection value.

Enjoy
    Bob's Your Uncle
  • Options
    PurlyjemPurlyjem Posts: 126
    Sometimes you get lucky as well, especially when people sell records and they have no idea about the value. I have also been collecting lots of Sub Pop records, and especially Green River. I managed to buy the very rare green 7" from Green River that also can be seen at the EMP museum for $5 from an older lady! I know someone who paid $600 for that one! I also managed to find Deep Six, the "first Grunge" compilation for $10 like that.
    The thing is to not buy a record to fast. Often when you think "I really want that record", you tend to look online, and buy it when you see it. Look around a bit, try different websites, or better, local record stores. When you see the different prices, you find a good price for a certain record. Vinyl collecting is like a drug indeed...so be careful! ;)
    But most of all: Have fun and enjoy spinning the black circles! :mrgreen:
    "I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.."
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,758
    Be patient....I've never spent money on anything above original list price. Now probably 1 in 10 of my albums would be considered collectible. Definitely buy an album for its music...if its good and you got it before the majority, the value will naturally increase. Sometimes it takes months, sometimes years.

Signs of collectibility. Colored vinyl, numbered vinyl, tour only vinyl, alternative album art. Also, smaller record labels will have smaller album pressings.

But again, never pay more than original list price and be patient.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Webeleaf wrote:
    They also had the original Appetite for destruction cover but for some reason I passed on it.

Are you fricken serious???

Can't believe record store owner would put it in the racks. They would/should know the value of that album.

Enjoy

Tell me about it. I didn't realize how rare it was either. I picked up Lost Dogs, A Perfect Circle, and Soundgarden and then I saw AFD. I had already blown mucho dinero in Newport and passed not knowing. Derrrrrr
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,067
    Here's my advice...

Start with No Code and The Who Live at Leeds and spin the shit out of em!!!
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    be prepared to drop a lot of moolah

ten 15-40
    vs 15-40
    vit 15-40
    no code 50-75
    yield 50-100
    binaural 85-115
    lost dogs 75-100
    Greatest hits 60-100
    Riot act 65-90
    backspacer 15-40
    avocado- 35-60
    benaroya 600-1000
    fan club singles...range in price from 5-125(first one)
    general prices you can usually find these for

Or just buy the re-issues. ;)
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....