10 years, new climate, from a Firefighter's perspective

Chip McFlenniganChip McFlennigan Posts: 1,162
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
It should be interesting to see the sentiments of everyone today.

People seem to act differently on 9/11 here in New Jersey. They stop by the firehouse and shake our hands. They bake us cookies. They call us and wish us well.

To me, it's unnerving. I wonder how many of these people are the ones who voted for Chris Christie, and supported him while he cut our balls off and made us pay more money for less benefits.

I wonder if these are the same people who wrote to the local papers about 30 Atlantic City Firefighters getting laid off was a great thing.

I wonder if these are the ignorant people who have no idea what they're talking about when they tell me "your city only had 9 fires last year. So, you only had to do your job 9 times. Not worth my money."

I wonder if these are the people who voted in the same politicians who voted to bail out corporations and banks and CEO's, but against giving money to the surviving first responders of 9/11 who are suffering in hospitals coughing their own lungs up their throats as they die slowly and painfully.

Have we lost sight of the importance of Police, Firefighters, EMT/paramedics, Lifeguards/Rescue Divers, ER Nurses and Doctors and Surgeons?

I've worked for a Police Department, and currently for a Beach Patrol and a Fire Dept. The general NJ populace seems to be staunchly against us, until they need us for something.

It's been a decade since 9/11, and I can only speak from my experiences here. I would hope the citizens of NYC and other places throughout this country actually support their emergency first responders, instead of sitting around bitching and moaning about us being overpaid for seeing things that they cannot fathom seeing.
I knew it all along, see?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I can't say I support them in the sense of helping them keep jobs, etc. but every time I see a paramedic / driver / firefighter / officer I smile and wave at them to let them know that there are people out there that care about them, I know how hard a job it is. The things they see on a daily basis can make you numb to just about everything.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    You have my full support. I think of it in this perspective. When something bad happens everyone runs from it. It is you and your coworkers jobs to run towards it and help the less fortunate. That takes balls and needs to be commended. :clap:
  • Kind words are appreciated. The bottom line is this: support the first responders in your community. If there is a politician working against one of your emergency services departments (PD, RS, FD, BP), let them know how you feel. I understand the economy is not doing well, but, we are necessary employees who deal in a different kind of work environment. We're highly trained (at least where I work) and dedicated to making the community safer. It's not every day we have to risk our lives for complete strangers (or sometimes, family or friends), but it does happen, and it's never easy. Public support goes a long way.

Which brings me back to 9/11. If you can, today, shake a local Fireman or Police Officer's hand and let them know that you understand that their jobs are not only easy. Esp. if you live in NYC. I have a ton of respect for FDNY Fire and EMS personnel and Police. I was at Ten House the other day and left my Department's sleeve patch by all the others at the memorial plaque. Those men in NYC are the bravest of the brave, IMO.

Thanks, guys.
    I knew it all along, see?
  • What is a fireman?

He is the guy next door - a man's man with the memory of a little boy. He has never gotten over the excitement of engines and sirens and danger.

He is a guy like you and me with wants and worries and unfulfilled dreams.

Yet he stands taller than most of us.

He is a fireman.

He puts it all on the line when the bell rings.

A fireman is at once the most fortunate and the least fortunate of men.

He is a man who saves lives because he has seen too much death.

He is a gentle man because he has seen the awesome power of violence out of control.

He is responsive to a child's laughter because his arms have held too many small bodies that will never laugh again.

He is a man who appreciates the simple pleasures of life - hot coffee held in numb, unbending fingers - a warm bed for bone and muscle compelled beyond feeling - the camaraderie of brave men - the divine peace and selfless service of a job well done in the name of all men.

He doesn't wear buttons or wave flags or shout obscenities.

When he marches, it is to honor a fallen comrade.

He doesn't preach the brotherhood of man.

He lives it.

~ Author unknown

Thank you everyone who protect us, save us, and heal us, every single day, even after the Tragedy. All firefighters, police officers, and EMS, are the reasons we feel safe. You do keep us safe with remarkable grace and integrity. I send you all infinite love, light and respect, today and forever. XO
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Laughable
    I'll be back
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Laughable
    what exactly is laughable in this man's thread?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    chadwick wrote:
    Laughable
    what exactly is laughable in this man's thread?
    yes, please explain yourself.