Nike to release 1500 pairs of Marty McFly Air Mag shoe

Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Nike has unveiled its Back to the Future-inspired "Air Mag" shoes, which will be auctioned on eBay later tonight.

According to NiceKicks.com, which has additional pictures and video of the shoe, the shoes themselves will be sold on Nikemag.ebay.com, with proceeds going directly to the Michael J. Fox foundation, the foundation set up by the actor who played Marty McFly in the original Future trilogy. Word of the Nike Air Mag surfaced earlier today   .

The eBay site is not yet live, and there is no indication as yet what the reserve price (if any) will be. According to NiceKicks.com, 1,500 pairs of the shoe will be sold on eBay, or 150 per night through the next 10 days.

Nike has posted details of the Air Mag to its own Web page. One interesting aspect: so far, no one has yet to confirm that the high-top shoes (which actually look more like snow boots than anything else) actually self-tie or self-secure, as the original shoes featured in the movie do. Nike representatives did not return calls asking for comment, even though PC Magazine was one of the few technology publications around when Back to the Future Part II debuted in 1989.

Nike also appears to have confirmed this as well. "The original NIKE MAG was worn by the Back to the Future character Marty McFly, played by Michael J. Fox, in the year 2015," Nike's Web site says. "It came alive, lit up and formed to Marty's foot. The 2011 NIKE MAG shoe was designed to be a precise replica of the original from Back to the Future II. The aesthetic is an exact match, down to the contours of the upper, the glowing LED panel and the electroluminescent NIKE in the strap."

However, the shoe appears to be designed as close as possible to the original footwear, even going so far as to include the glowing LED "Nike" logo and lights in the heel of the shoe. GoodKicks reports that the shoe will stay lit for five hours before it needs to actually be recharged.

"We wanted to translate the excitement people have for the 'greatest shoe never made' and for the Back to the Future into positive action," said Mark Parker, CEO of Nike, as quoted by NiceKicks. "But the long term objective is to raise awareness so the Foundation can achieve their goal of eradicating Parkinson's disease."

As any child of the 80's remembers, the "Nike Air Mag" was a futuristic prop that was sold in 2015, part of the setting for Back to the Future Part II. The second part of the trilogy, which also starred Christopher Lloyd as Dr. Emmett Brown, involved visiting the future to save the future children of McFly and his future wife, Jennifer. What they failed to realize, of course, is that McFly's rival, Biff, had witnessed their disappearance, subsequently stole the time machine, and well, hijinks ensued.

01168869.jpg
I'll be back
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sweet, but why didn't they wait 4 years?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    sweet, but why didn't they wait 4 years?

Yeah....they should have waited until 2015 for sure. Cool though!!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    those are beyond ugly. great cause and all but ass ugly shoe
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    hoverboard not included...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    May I be the first to say that most Nikes shoes look ridiculous and these top the rest....just plain awful... :roll:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • i would do anything for those shoes, fucking epic.

http://youtu.be/eihSPj9lSMw

they will not be cheap though, the marty mcfly hyperdunks which look nothing like the shoe from the movie except for being the same colour go for about $1000 on ebay. the cool thing about the hyper dunks is the insole looks like a hoverboard.

nike-hyperdunk-mcfly-01.jpg
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • thefixer9 wrote:
    May I be the first to say that most Nikes shoes look ridiculous and these top the rest....just plain awful... :roll:

they were never made to look good, they were designed in 1989 to look like what people might wear in 2015. nothing about the "future" in that movie looked good. the flying cars were ugly, that jacket that self dried is ugly, and what is with that god awful hat future Mcfly wears???

they may look silly but these things will fucking fly out the door and for a price as well. not only shoe freaks will want them, but movie fans will and so will anyone who wants to donate some fat cash to the M.J. Fox foundation and score some pretty cool shoes/piece of movie memorabilia out of it.
    current bid $21K

:o :shock:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    edited September 2011
    RKCNDY wrote:
    current bid $21K

i know it's against the rules but link?

never mind, $31,000 now
    Post edited by threefish10 on
    'bay.com
    search: nike MAG

those are the hot ones...others go for 2-5K

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    'bay.com
    search: nike MAG

those are the hot ones...others go for 2-5K

yeah, just found them, they went up $3000 in 2 refreshes.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    edited September 2011
    RKCNDY wrote:
    current bid $21K

i know it's against the rules but link?

never mind, $31,000 now

58,000 now
    Post edited by mookeywrench on
    $50k

love this in the FAQ:
    Q: DO THE 2011 NIKE MAG SHOES POWER-LACE?
    No. For the power-lace feature you will have to wait until 2015.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Over 50K

vid from MJF

http://youtu.be/eYMyEqRb2cw
    :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

did you ever see the movie Rico?

- Christopher McCandless
  • thefixer9 wrote:

As a kid, this movie set every expectation of what the future was going to be like.

($70,100 + free shipping)
    edited September 2011
    Never seen the movie but those are still ugly shoes and nothing can change that.... :lol:
    Post edited by thefixer9 on
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• thefixer9 wrote:

As a kid, this movie set every expectation of what the future was going to be like.

those geeks down at Mattel still have four years to get my arse a hoverboard. if i'm not hoverboarding around by October 2015 there is gonna be a shit storm coming Mattels way.
  • thefixer9 wrote:
    Never seen the movie but those are still ugly shows and nothing can change that.... :lol:

You know what they always say: it takes ugly shoes to fight an ugly disease.

(75,100 + free shipping)
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Never seen the movie but those are still ugly shows and nothing can change that.... :lol:

You know what they always say: it takes ugly shoes to fight an ugly disease.

(75,100 + free shipping)

:lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

lots of 'ugly' stuff is 'cool' :lol:

$75K

- Christopher McCandless
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    thefixer9 wrote:

those geeks down at Mattel still have four years to get my arse a hoverboard. if i'm not hoverboarding around by October 2015 there is gonna be a shit storm coming Mattels way.

LMAO! :lol:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • it seems people must have been fake bidding as it has now dropped down to $8,000
  • Biff was fake bidding
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    this thread is useless without an annoucement of hover boards.