Supernova - Happening Right Now! Grab Your Binos!

Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
This a very rare treat to those of us that observe the cosmos. A supernova was detected in it's early stages and should be visible to astronomers ... unfortunately, my skies are cloudy right now.

I expect that every telescope in the world will be trained on this event over the next week. It's apparently located in the handle of the big dipper.

Enjoy!

http://news.yahoo.com/young-nearby-supernova-dazzles-scientists-044627084.html

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - California astronomers have found the closest, brightest supernova of its kind in 25 years, catching the glimmer of a tiny self-destructing star a mere 21 million light years from Earth and soon visible to amateur skywatchers.

The discovery, announced on Wednesday, was made in what was believed to be the first hours of the rare cosmic explosion using a special telescope at the Palomar Observatory near San Diego and powerful supercomputers at a government laboratory in Berkeley.

The detection so early of a supernova so near has created a worldwide stir among astronomers, who are clamoring to observe it with every telescope at their disposal, including the giant Hubble Space Telescope.

Scientists behind the discovery at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and the University of California at Berkeley say the extraordinary phenomenon -- labeled by the rather obscure designation PTF 11kly -- will likely become the most-studied supernova in history.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,687
    cool, i'm gonna take a peek. Not into the stars or anything, but neat to take a look
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,950
    it is NOT happening right now. We can only SEE it now. This thing was over long long ago!!!!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • A champagne supernova in the sky?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    mickeyrat wrote:
    it is NOT happening right now. We can only SEE it now. This thing was over long long ago!!!!! :mrgreen:
    Well, consider it a time machine, except we can only see the past! Crazy to think about it, but that star exploded over 21 million years ago and the light is just reaching us .... and most astronomers consider this to be in our interstellar backyard!

Rained last night for me. My buddy did have a cool iPad application (i think it was called Star Walk) that allowed me to at least find where the galaxy was located. Looks like it could be Sunday night before I have a chance to see it.