Options

A Big FUCK YOU To DELTA AIRLINES!!!!

Kosuke FukudomeKosuke Fukudome Posts: 197
edited June 2008 in The Porch
I wake up this morning all ready for my excursion to NYC for the MSG shows. I get delayed a bit and don't end up leaving until an hour and a half before my flight. The whole time I was panicing thinking I'm going to have to run like hell when my train reaches the airport.

So I arrive at 12:20 p.m. and my flight leaves at 1 p.m. I run all the way to security and thankfully the line was short and I get to my gate. That's right. 50 minutes from my house to my gate flat. I was so pumped. I check the monitors, flight is on time. I'm ready for this.

Then I walk to my gate and there is the most disheartening airport word on the flight screen. 1 PM FLIGHT TO LA GUARDIA NYC - CANCELLED.

Mother fucking son of a bitch. So I proceed to stand there for about 5 minutes trying to grapple my head around this until I make my way to the ticket counter.

The only other flight out of Midway to La Guardia today is at 5:30 p.m. with a stop in Atlanta and I wouldn't get to NYC until 11:30 p.m. tonight. Mind you it's only 12:30 p.m. I'm not about to have an 11 hour travel day. Not today, not ever. So I ask about tomorrow and there is a 7 a.m. direct flight to New York. I then check out some other airlines around, but nothing. So now I'm back home after a two hour airpost visit and postponement of a killer three days in NYC...now it's only 2. Even worse I have to get up at like 4:30 a.m. tomorrow to make my flight. Luckily I'll still make the shows, but...

FUCK YOU DELTA AIRLINES. NEVER AGAIN. JUST SAY NO TO DELTA.
Horry Kow!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    I wake up this morning all ready for my excursion to NYC for the MSG shows. I get delayed a bit and don't end up leaving until an hour and a half before my flight. The whole time I was panicing thinking I'm going to have to run like hell when my train reaches the airport.

So I arrive at 12:20 p.m. and my flight leaves at 1 p.m. I run all the way to security and thankfully the line was short and I get to my gate. That's right. 50 minutes from my house to my gate flat. I was so pumped. I check the monitors, flight is on time. I'm ready for this.

Then I walk to my gate and there is the most disheartening airport word on the flight screen. 1 PM FLIGHT TO LA GUARDIA NYC - CANCELLED.

Mother fucking son of a bitch. So I proceed to stand there for about 5 minutes trying to grapple my head around this until I make my way to the ticket counter.

The only other flight out of Midway to La Guardia today is at 5:30 p.m. with a stop in Atlanta and I wouldn't get to NYC until 11:30 p.m. tonight. Mind you it's only 12:30 p.m. I'm not about to have an 11 hour travel day. Not today, not ever. So I ask about tomorrow and there is a 7 a.m. direct flight to New York. I then check out some other airlines around, but nothing. So now I'm back home after a two hour airpost visit and postponement of a killer three days in NYC...now it's only 2. Even worse I have to get up at like 4:30 a.m. tomorrow to make my flight. Luckily I'll still make the shows, but...

FUCK YOU DELTA AIRLINES. NEVER AGAIN. JUST SAY NO TO DELTA.
    I have flown a lot in my life (over 1 million miles) and this is not surprising to me. First you are flying from a secondary airport and with the airlines having problems they are going to cut back on those. There used to be a direct Detla flight from O'Hare to JFK. Call Delta and see if they can get you on that (if the flight still exists, it did last year). Get your ass on the next available flight because nothing says you aren't going to be delayed tomorrow, too. There are going to be storms in the Northeast for today and tomorrow. If there are weather delays there is nothing you are going to do about flying on any airline.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Gee. I still would have taken the flight today... because you never know if they'll cancel tomorrow's flight...

Things can be SO unreliable at our airport too. It's maddening. :mad:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    well, make sure you make it to the airport in time for the flight.

just a tip: if your flight is cancelled, get in the line for re-booking AND get on the phone with the airline. they can re-book you over the phone, and if you wait until you get to the front of the line, you might not have as good a selection of flights.

what was the reason for the cancellation?
  • Options
    That sucks man...

Flying these days is awful...

That said, I would have probably taken the flight through Atlanta tonight just to make sure I got to NYC

All you're going to be doing all day is feeling shitty about this anyway...

You get to NYC at 11:30, you still have 4.5 hours to have fun before last call...

And you wouldn't have to get up at 4:30

Good luck tomorrow AM!
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,513
    There may have been maintenance issues with the plane. Better safe than sorry!
  • Options
    mensane wrote:
    well, make sure you make it to the airport in time for the flight.

just a tip: if your flight is cancelled, get in the line for re-booking AND get on the phone with the airline. they can re-book you over the phone, and if you wait until you get to the front of the line, you might not have as good a selection of flights.

what was the reason for the cancellation?

Good point. I forgot about that. You are more likely to get somewhere with a person on the phone than the gate agent.

• Options
    kh65 wrote:
    I have flown a lot in my life (over 1 million miles) and this is not surprising to me. First you are flying from a secondary airport and with the airlines having problems they are going to cut back on those. There used to be a direct Detla flight from O'Hare to JFK. Call Delta and see if they can get you on that (if the flight still exists, it did last year). Get your ass on the next available flight because nothing says you aren't going to be delayed tomorrow, too. There are going to be storms in the Northeast for today and tomorrow. If there are weather delays there is nothing you are going to do about flying on any airline.

I tried but nothing today. If they fucking cancel my flight tomorrow morning. I'm going to kill somebody. Like literally.

And it was cancelled not because of weather, they gave me some bullshit about the FAA and safety something in NYC. But I think it's cause the flight wasn't sold out.
    Horry Kow!
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    kh65 wrote:
    Call Delta and see if they can get you on that (if the flight still exists, it did last year). Get your ass on the next available flight because nothing says you aren't going to be delayed tomorrow, too. There are going to be storms in the Northeast for today and tomorrow. If there are weather delays there is nothing you are going to do about flying on any airline.

exactly!!!!! get here tonight!!!!! you may not be able to land in nyc/newark tomorrow!!! better to be delayed/cancelled today than delayed/cancelled tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    I would've made them pay for a hotel tonight or something... I'm sure you can do something like that.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Get on that flight tonight. Seriously. You don't want to miss the shows. 11:30pm is nothing in nyc - the whole city is awake.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Today is probably out of the question. I am already booked for tomorrow at 7 AM.

I tried to call around while waiting but could find nothing at midway.

It's the principle. This was a direct 2 hour flight to NYC and I'm not about to hang around and get to NYC at 11:30 and make my my buddy drive out to the airport that late at night to get me. Tomorrow morning just seems like a better option. And I looked at weather.com, the weather looks good for the window I'm supposed to arrive....getting there at 10 a.m.
    Horry Kow!
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Today is probably out of the question. I am already booked for tomorrow at 7 AM.

I tried to call around while waiting but could find nothing at midway.

It's the principle. This was a direct 2 hour flight to NYC and I'm not about to hang around and get to NYC at 11:30 and make my my buddy drive out to the airport that late at night to get me. Tomorrow morning just seems like a better option. And I looked at weather.com, the weather looks good for the window I'm supposed to arrive....getting there at 10 a.m.

good luck!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    _outlaw wrote:
    I would've made them pay for a hotel tonight or something... I'm sure you can do something like that.
    Very unlikely. If it has anything to do outside of the airline's control they aren't going to pay shit. If it is weather, air traffic delays, FAA, etc. they aren't giving you anything. only if it is their fault.

• Options
    Also, I got a pretty decent rate on my ticket. And anything else on any other airline leaving today would be upwards of $500(I just checked). That's just not going to work for me.
    Horry Kow!
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    kh65 wrote:
    Very unlikely. If it has anything to do outside of the airline's control they aren't going to pay shit. If it is weather, air traffic delays, FAA, etc. they aren't giving you anything. only if it is their fault.

this is true, although i have known of airlines to sometimes give you the free stuff even if it wasnt their fault.

now that he is booked on that 7am flight, he probably has to stick with it. i would have tried to flight out of the other airport tonight if possible. who knows what will happen tomorrow. that being said, early morning flights are usually ok. most problems happen as delays and air traffic piles up throughout the course of the day.

i wish you luck.
  • Options
    There's a flight on Delta at 7:00 a.m. that gets in at 10:30. It leave O'Hare and goes to JFK. Flight 6180. It is one of those shitty little commuter planes but your ass will be in NYC first thing. Call Delta (800-325-1551) and change it. Since you were booked for today and if there is an open seat they will probably put you on it. Since it pops up online they have an open seat.

• Options
    Yes, everyone cross your fingers for me. Like I said, if this flight is cancelled I'm murdering someone.

Also, just got off the phone with Delta. No flights between O'hare and JFK today. There was one earlier, but I missed it.

Also, I asked about compensation for all this bullshit. They said they could give me miles...yeah right like I'm ever going to fly Delta again...but looks like I can get in first class on tomorrows flight. Which I guess is acceptable.

I usually only fly Southwest, and let me say, it's the best airline of all time. They are so reliable. It's just that they don't fly to NYC :(.

Anyway, I think I'll head out to the bar here in a little bit.
    Horry Kow!
  • Options
    kh65 wrote:
    There's a flight on Delta at 7:00 a.m. that gets in at 10:30. It leave O'Hare and goes to JFK. Flight 6180. It is one of those shitty little commuter planes but your ass will be in NYC first thing. Call Delta (800-325-1551) and change it. Since you were booked for today and if there is an open seat they will probably put you on it. Since it pops up online they have an open seat.

I'm already on a flight that leaves at 7 a.m. tomorrow from Midway and gets to La Guardia at 10:18 a.m.
    Horry Kow!
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    I flew Delta to JFK last week...was actually about an hour early getting in! I have nothing but good things to say about them! Sorry to hear you got screwed, though. :(
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    I'm already on a flight that leaves at 7 a.m. tomorrow from Midway and gets to La Guardia at 10:18 a.m.
    OK, good. That shouldn't be a problem. I did check and there aren't any more flights today from Chicago to NYC on Delta. Good luck. You should be fine.

• Options
    pearljam75pearljam75 Posts: 80
    I work in the travel industry -- All of the airlines are in financial turmoil because of the cost of fuel. They are used to load factors of 80% - 90% -- they lose $$ if the flight is not at those levels and cancellations will become more common. Another poster recommended taking the next flight because you never know what will happen tomorrow. Traveling will continue to be unpredictable.

I hope you have a problem free travel day tomorrow !!!
  • Options
    pearljam75 wrote:
    I work in the travel industry -- All of the airlines are in financial turmoil because of the cost of fuel. They are used to load factors of 80% - 90% -- they lose $$ if the flight is not at those levels and cancellations will become more common. Another poster recommended taking the next flight because you never know what will happen tomorrow. Traveling will continue to be unpredictable.

I hope you have a problem free travel day tomorrow !!!

Yeah, that's understandable. But you can't tell em the airlines can't tell how crowded a flight it until 30 minutes before take off. That is some bullshit.
    Horry Kow!
  • Options
    kineticjamkineticjam Posts: 154
    At least you'll see the shows. I flew my bro up to see the Yankees playoff games and he missed game 1! So fuckin pissed.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    bummer
    but this is happening more and more.
    Check and print out the schedules for all the other airlines so that you will know what other options you have.

And dont be afraid to fly to newark or JFK many many more flights in and out of there.
  • Options
    jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    Yes, everyone cross your fingers for me. Like I said, if this flight is cancelled I'm murdering someone.

Also, just got off the phone with Delta. No flights between O'hare and JFK today. There was one earlier, but I missed it.

Also, I asked about compensation for all this bullshit. They said they could give me miles...yeah right like I'm ever going to fly Delta again...but looks like I can get in first class on tomorrows flight. Which I guess is acceptable.

I usually only fly Southwest, and let me say, it's the best airline of all time. They are so reliable. It's just that they don't fly to NYC :(.

Anyway, I think I'll head out to the bar here in a little bit.

Why did you not take Southwest to Newark and then the NJ transit to MSG (Penn Station)???? That made no sense at all....
  • Options
    jbalicki10 wrote:
    Why did you not take Southwest to Newark and then the NJ transit to MSG (Penn Station)???? That made no sense at all....

Southwest doesn't fly to Newark.
    Horry Kow!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    American Airlines has screwed me the most. The worst is when my connecting flight in Chicago was out on the runway and they lied and said they had to taxi back to top off with fuel. As soon as we were docked, they told us the flight had been canceled and to get off the plane.

No apology. No direction. Just get off and collect your shit. All that was missing was Cherry from Beerfest yelling "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, your FUCKED!"
  • Options
    pearljam75pearljam75 Posts: 80
    Yeah, that's understandable. But you can't tell em the airlines can't tell how crowded a flight it until 30 minutes before take off. That is some bullshit.

I agree and I definitely don't understand why or who make decisions to cancel etc. Traveling definitely sucks and it it mainly due to the airlines and we are at there mercy. I am not defending them and I deal with these issues daily so I am totally sympathic.

Hope there are no issue for tomorrow !
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,918
    Southwest doesn't fly to Newark.

Doesn't Southwest fly to Islip, NY (Long Island)?

June 23 Flight 3689 Depart 7:40pm Arrive 10:50pm Nonstop Travel time:2:10 Rates $250 $230
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    SeshetaSesheta Posts: 6
    Similar thing happened to me on the way to Lollapalooza last year. I don't think it was Delta though.
    6/2006 Continental Arena, NJ
    8/2007 Lollapalooza, Chicago
    6/2008 Madison Square Garden, NYC

"Get the words, and then I get to thinkin'
    I don't wanna think, I wanna feel."
    -VEDDER/MCCREADY/GOSSARD/AMENT