<3 WEDDING THREAD <3

Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Lets talk all things wedding.

I marry audiodave exactly 11 weeks tomorrow. We met here, back in 2007 :)

So c'mon, who else is tying the knot? :mrgreen:
Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I thought about it recently....been with my bf for 13 years....if we did it, it would be very small with maybe just our parents since we're not big wedding people....but I've started toying with the idea. However, now that we need to have ivf at $9000 a cycle, there is definitely no wedding on the cards for a VERY long time....or anything else! God I hope Pearl Jam don't tour in the next 12 months. :lol:

I think now we'll just wait until we have our bambinos and then do it and involve them in the ceremony etc.

What kind of wedding are you having? Big/small? Church/outside?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    I thought about it recently....been with my bf for 13 years....if we did it, it would be very small with maybe just our parents since we're not big wedding people....but I've started toying with the idea. However, now that we need to have ivf at $9000 a cycle, there is definitely no wedding on the cards for a VERY long time....or anything else! God I hope Pearl Jam don't tour in the next 12 months. :lol:

I think now we'll just wait until we have our bambinos and then do it and involve them in the ceremony etc.

What kind of wedding are you having? Big/small? Church/outside?

Yeah I know a couple going through IVF, it's tough financially and emotionally. Sorry to hear you're going through it all :(

Weddings are soooooooooo expensive. We planned our budget and it's come in at nearly 3x the original plan :oops: I think it'll be worth it though :)

Quite a big wedding - 100 day guests (and that was with us being ruthless, it was nearly 160) and about 140 evening guests (again, could've been much more)
    We're marrying in a local 4* hotel. We both agree that unless you attend a church regularly we believe it's hypocritical to marry in one. Our reception is at the same hotel and our 'theme' (god I hate that word) is woodland/nature :)

PJ play a part (or course) and a fair few people from here will be in attendance :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

Yeah I know a couple going through IVF, it's tough financially and emotionally. Sorry to hear you're going through it all :(

Thanks. :)
    Weddings are soooooooooo expensive. We planned our budget and it's come in at nearly 3x the original plan :oops: I think it'll be worth it though :)

I'm sure it will definitely be worth it! Three x budget! :shock: Wow! Do you mind if I ask what the things were that really blew out the budget that you maybe didn't think of before? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.
    Quite a big wedding - 100 day guests (and that was with us being ruthless, it was nearly 160) and about 140 evening guests (again, could've been much more)
    We're marrying in a local 4* hotel. We both agree that unless you attend a church regularly we believe it's hypocritical to marry in one. Our reception is at the same hotel and our 'theme' (god I hate that word) is woodland/nature :)

PJ play a part (or course) and a fair few people from here will be in attendance :)

I totally get what you're saying about the church. I never go to church....not saying I'm not religious or whatever....I just don't feel comfortable in churches and probably wouldn't choose to get married in one. A lot of them feel really stuffy to me. I find outdoor weddings a lot nicer....or weddings at venues.

Do people still do the something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue? (did I get that right?)...?
  • I'm getting married October 13, 2012. We have the venue and church picked out, now just gotta get photographer, DJ, etc... It's a long time away, but it will be here before I know it.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I got married 6 years ago and we're STILL in debt from it. My advice? Go to Vegas!!!

But for real, congrats and have a great time!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I got married 6 years ago and we're STILL in debt from it.
    :shock:

fuck that.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

fuck that.

Which part??
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

fuck that.

Which part??

both i guess. :lol:

no way in hell i'm going in debt to get married. if and that's a huge if, we ever get married, it's going to be a super small ceremony with 20 people max
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I got married 6 years ago and we're STILL in debt from it. My advice? Go to Vegas!!!

But for real, congrats and have a great time!

we went to Vegas :think:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    2 years ago tomorrow we got married in a small town gazebo with just a few close members of her family since we wanted to have it on 9/9/09. We went on our honeymoon and came back to have a ceremony with her friends and family on 9/19/09 at her Aunt's backyard. We didn't spend a whole lot of money for it but it looked nice.
  • 81 wrote:
    both i guess. :lol:

no way in hell i'm going in debt to get married. if and that's a huge if, we ever get married, it's going to be a super small ceremony with 20 people max

It blows my mind how much some of this wedding shit costs. We got very lucky w/ both of our families contributing a good amount of money so we're not going to put ourselves in debt or anythign like that. If not for that, It definitely would have been VEGAS!
  • ZiggyStar wrote:

Thanks. :)

I'm sure it will definitely be worth it! Three x budget! :shock: Wow! Do you mind if I ask what the things were that really blew out the budget that you maybe didn't think of before? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

I totally get what you're saying about the church. I never go to church....not saying I'm not religious or whatever....I just don't feel comfortable in churches and probably wouldn't choose to get married in one. A lot of them feel really stuffy to me. I find outdoor weddings a lot nicer....or weddings at venues.

Do people still do the something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue? (did I get that right?)...?
    What blew the budget? Guest numbers really... My dress was cheap, suits were cheap... the venue was expensive.

Yeah we still do the something old etc. I'll be doing it and i'll have a lucky 6 pence in my shoe :)

• 81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

fuck that.

May I just second 81's comment :shock:

Don't get me wrong, we're not having a small wedding but none of it so far has been on credit and we aim fro none of it to be on credit. I know enough people who have done it and don't regret it... it's all down to the couple :)

We're asking our guests to pay for our honeymoon as it is, I don't think it'll go down too well if we ask for money to pay off the wedding instead :lol:

I wanted to do Vegas (unlike most women) and my fiance wanted the big trad. wedding... sometimes I wish we'd just done Vegas still.

Don't get me wrong, we're not having a small wedding but none of it so far has been on credit and we aim fro none of it to be on credit. I know enough people who have done it and don't regret it... it's all down to the couple :)

We're asking our guests to pay for our honeymoon as it is, I don't think it'll go down too well if we ask for money to pay off the wedding instead :lol:

I wanted to do Vegas (unlike most women) and my fiance wanted the big trad. wedding... sometimes I wish we'd just done Vegas still.

I would have GLADLY gotten married in Vegas - it was both of our families that wanted the whole shebang. We had about 300 guests and it was on the North Shore of Chicago, which ain't cheap. Our families tossed us a couple bucks but nowhere near enough to cover everything. Kudos to you guys for not having to put anything out on credit, it's a hard thing to do!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Mamasan23 wrote:

I would have GLADLY gotten married in Vegas - it was both of our families that wanted the whole shebang. We had about 300 guests and it was on the North Shore of Chicago, which ain't cheap. Our families tossed us a couple bucks but nowhere near enough to cover everything. Kudos to you guys for not having to put anything out on credit, it's a hard thing to do!

Yeah it's family that's made us do the whole trad. big wedding thing... not that we mind I guess :)
    Your wedding sounds HUGE :mrgreen: but expensive... But hey, you only do it once so kudos to you for doing it the way you wanted :D

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    We just did a registry office, no guests, no white dress, actually no anything. Didn't tell anyone either (until afterwards). I really wasn't that bothered, it was a really special moment for the two of us, one that I never thought would happen with my hubby.

However, went to two wonderful weddings this year and it did make me think. They were such happy days that I now think maybe I missed out a little. Hubby actually said the other day that maybe we should do it again. Not religious though so wouldn't want a blessing and really I would rather have a holiday.

Sian, it really sounds like the day is going to be fantastic! I hope you let us see pics, it was great seeing Helens :D
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

fuck that.

I'd never been to Vegas, I really didn't want to go there. Mr. RK was really adamant about It, it wasn't an 'easy wedding' like some people think. I should have stayed home and done the beach thing.

Got my dress, shoes, veil etc all on ebay. Suit was from Men's Warehouse (BTW George, HE paid more for his suit than I did for my dress)

The rings cost more than the entire wedding and honeymoon put together. We had less than 20 people there.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

I should have stayed home and done the beach thing.

Now that would be ideal! Tell Mr. RK he owes you a beach wedding vow renewal ceremony :D
  • RKCNDY wrote:

I'd never been to Vegas, I really didn't want to go there. Mr. RK was really adamant about It, it wasn't an 'easy wedding' like some people think. I should have stayed home and done the beach thing.

Got my dress, shoes, veil etc all on ebay. Suit was from Men's Warehouse (BTW George, HE paid more for his suit than I did for my dress)

The rings cost more than the entire wedding and honeymoon put together. We had less than 20 people there.

My dress is second hand, suits are hired, getting married on a Friday so it's cheaper... we've cut costs as much as we can :)
    We have a lot of friends and he has a big family so we'd rather spend the money on being surrounded by people we love than on fancy designer dresses and all that shite... it's just not me!

I do have 6 adults bridesmaids though :oops:

I agree with mamasan23, beach renewal of vows!! :mrgreen:

• Claireack wrote:
    We just did a registry office, no guests, no white dress, actually no anything. Didn't tell anyone either (until afterwards). I really wasn't that bothered, it was a really special moment for the two of us, one that I never thought would happen with my hubby.

However, went to two wonderful weddings this year and it did make me think. They were such happy days that I now think maybe I missed out a little. Hubby actually said the other day that maybe we should do it again. Not religious though so wouldn't want a blessing and really I would rather have a holiday.

Sian, it really sounds like the day is going to be fantastic! I hope you let us see pics, it was great seeing Helens :D

There will photos a plenty i'm sure! :D There's so many forum people going (and involved in the wedding) that I think it'd be a tragedy if no photos went up on Facebook or here :)

My dress is second hand, suits are hired, getting married on a Friday so it's cheaper... we've cut costs as much as we can :)
    We have a lot of friends and he has a big family so we'd rather spend the money on being surrounded by people we love than on fancy designer dresses and all that shite... it's just not me!

I'd have to figure out how to re-construct my dress to be appropriate for a beach wedding! Literally we did it the cheap way. Drove from Seattle to Vegas, and our honeymoon was a trip up the coast on the 101. Stopped in every little beach town.

Now that the touring bug bit Mr. RK, I think all our money is going to go into that. (ok, maybe the bug bit me harder :lol: )

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:

I'd have to figure out how to re-construct my dress to be appropriate for a beach wedding! Literally we did it the cheap way. Drove from Seattle to Vegas, and our honeymoon was a trip up the coast on the 101. Stopped in every little beach town.

Now that the touring bug bit Mr. RK, I think all our money is going to go into that. (ok, maybe the bug bit me harder :lol: )

:lol: maybe you should make a tour into a vow renewal??

My PJ hubby-to-be proposed to me in Berlin after a PJ show... it was perfect :oops: :D

Your honeymoon sounds adorable!! :D We too are driving... except we're driving 5 states, 11 cities, 1275 miles in 21 days... and we're from England :mrgreen:

:lol: maybe you should make a tour into a vow renewal??

My PJ hubby-to-be proposed to me in Berlin after a PJ show... it was perfect :oops: :D

Your honeymoon sounds adorable!! :D We too are driving... except we're driving 5 states, 11 cities, 1275 miles in 21 days... and we're from England :mrgreen:

maybe! I dunno, The wedding was cool when I was younger, but as I get older, I feel it's more of the 'spending time together' more than anything.

But after this weekend, there is nothing better than getting together with friends and celebrating something that you love...whether it be PJ, or friendships.

Have a good time, don't fret too much on the little things. I'd spend the most money on photos, because there are things other people see that you may miss in the excitement of the day.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Wow Sian. For some reason I thought you already bit the bullet!! ;)

Stressful time for sure............I am sure it will be BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Best wishes to you and Dave~~~~~~~>
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    what makes it expensive?
    the open bar, the band and decent photographers are budget killers

the rest can managed to a "reasonable" level

Good luck Sian!
  • Get_Right wrote:
    what makes it expensive?
    the open bar, the band and decent photographers are budget killers

the rest can managed to a "reasonable" level

Good luck Sian!

It has blown my mind how much photographers are...it is crazy. It is double what I thought it was for a decent photographer.

It has blown my mind how much photographers are...it is crazy. It is double what I thought it was for a decent photographer.

Ugh tell me about it! I wasn't even happy at all with our pics. The guy was the worst, kept coming up to me all night asking what to do. Dude, you're the pro - do what you do! Seriously!!! His only redeeming quality was that he looked exactly like Peter Jackson. ha!
    I don't agree with having either parents pay for a cent of a wedding.....if you can't afford it yourself, tone it down and make it more simple and don't make your parents pay for your extravagance.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I don't agree with having either parents pay for a cent of a wedding.....if you can't afford it yourself, tone it down and make it more simple and don't make your parents pay for your extravagance.
    its usually the parents that want the extravagance
    Get_Right wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    its usually the parents that want the extravagance

Hmmm....I will admit that I hadn't thought of that. :think: