Options

Looking for a new 1080P TV & Blu-Ray player

We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Time to upgrade my home entertainment system. Anyone have any input? Brands to avoid?

Looking at 40 to 50 inches for the TV.

And I also need a BR player that upconverts my regular DVDs to near-BR/1080P quality. The PS3 doesn't from what I understand, maybe only 720P?

Thanks.
If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    For TV's, Samsungs and Sonys are great. I have an LCD and I love it, sunshine can shine right on the screen and because there is no glass, you can still see the picture.

As for Blurays, no bluray player will make a DVD look like an HD picture. They do upconvert it but it looks nowhere near a bluray quality picture. That is why the bluray movies are more expensive than DVD's, they look amazing. So don't set your standards too high, your DVD's will not magically be in HD because of a certain bluray player.

Good luck.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    youngster wrote:
    For TV's, Samsungs and Sonys are great. I have an LCD and I love it, sunshine can shine right on the screen and because there is no glass, you can still see the picture.

As for Blurays, no bluray player will make a DVD look like an HD picture. They do upconvert it but it looks nowhere near a bluray quality picture. That is why the bluray movies are more expensive than DVD's, they look amazing. So don't set your standards too high, your DVD's will not magically be in HD because of a certain bluray player.

Good luck.

Thanks!

I know the upconvert isn't perfect, but I don't wanna get a PS3 if there's something out there that can give me a better pic on my regular DVDs. I have a ton, and I plan on re-buying some of my favorite movies in BR, but not the rank and file, if that makes any sense.

• Options
    Actually I use my PS3 more for watching blurays and streming netflix than i do for playing games... PS3 is a solid option but thats just my opinion
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    Actually I use my PS3 more for watching blurays and streming netflix than i do for playing games... PS3 is a solid option but thats just my opinion

Totally. I have no interest in playing games on it. I had heard/seen that the PS3 was generally, and still, the best BR player out there.

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685

Totally. I have no interest in playing games on it. I had heard/seen that the PS3 was generally, and still, the best BR player out there.
    Another vote for the PS3 (which will upconvert to 1080p).
    As for a TV, if you're not putting it in a light-filled room, go with plasma (IMO).
    I currently have this model and the picture quality is incredible. It's also 3D, which normally I wouldn't go for, but the price is pretty low too.
    http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/plasma/PN51D550C1FXZC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=
    If you don't want plasma I'd aim for an LED-lit model over an LCD, simply for the improved backlighting.
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I really wouldn't worry about a blue ray player as everything is headed to streaming, I would consider getting a media network drive, store all your movies in HD quality, and watch them from anywhere.
  • Options
    I have 3 Samsung lcd's, a sony lcd and a sharp lcd. The Samsungs are by far the best we have a 37, 42, and 46. All amazing quality.
    The Sony is a 40 and a close 2nd to the Samsungs.

We have 2 LG blu ray players and 1 Samsung. LG players are great quality and we got both for arounf 100 each, so the price is great also.
  • Options
    If the blu-ray or DVD player doesn't upconvert, the TV will. It has to or it can't display the image across 1080p..

Some chips do a better job of upconverting than others. It doesn't matter wether the Blu-ray or the TV is doing the upconverting. I would just try it out and not worry too much about the quality. If youre looking at 40 to 50 inches, just sit 12 to 15 feet away and you won't be able to tell the difference between Blu-ray and DVD.

You have to sit only 5 feet away from a 40 inch TV for your eyes to pick up the full 1080p. Here is a viewing distance chart..

http://www.lowtek.ca/roo/wp-content/upl ... _chart.png
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'm in the market for a blu ray and one thing to keep in mind is you probably want one that is wifi embedded. So it already has the wifi adaptor in it to stream movies.

Many are wifi enabled meaning you can by an adapator seperately and hook it up. If you age gonna stream movies you proably want one that already has the wifi adaptor in it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    check the reviews on the panasonic vt series...really the best tvs currently out now. Also one of the few tvs that is truly able to display 1080p.

Other tvs advertise it, but they are not 'tru 1080' also the vt has really deep black levels, the deepest along with the pioneer kuro? Kuru?

I picked up a samsung led 55 inch, returned it in 2 days and got the panasonic, really happy with my purchase!

I don't view much 3d but the tv also runs in the third dimension..and does it really well, little to know blur and/or 'ghosting'.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    Def go for the PS3 for your Blu-ray player. You get the most "bang for the buck" even if you don't play games.
    It can do everything any other player can do and more.
  • Options
    voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    PS3 is where it's at. Even if you download avi / divx files you can put a few movies on one disc or even a usb stick and watch it that way.
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I have a 73" Mitsubishi DLP (it weighs less than 100 lbs) and a PS3...they are both fantastic.