I Wouldn't Wanna Meet This Bastard in A Dark Alley

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/se ... nes-bigger

Giant crocodile captured in Philippines – but a bigger one may be at large

The six-metre saltwater crocodile caught after a three-week hunt may be the largest ever captured alive, officials believe

Associated Press in Manila
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 6 September 2011

Bunawan-residents-surroun-006.jpg

A one-tonne crocodile which may be the biggest ever caught alive has been captured in the Philippines, and officials say they are now hunting for an even bigger beast.

Villagers and veteran hunters ensnared a 6.1-metre (20ft) saltwater crocodile over the weekend after a three-week hunt in Bunawan township in Agusan del Sur province, where terrified villagers have reported at least one deadly attack.

The crocodile – weighing 1,075 kilograms (170 stone) and estimated to be at least 50 years old – is the biggest caught alive in the Philippines in recent years. Wildlife officials were trying to confirm whether it was the largest such catch in the world, Theresa Mundita Lim of the government's Protected Areas and Wildlife Bureau said.

Guinness World Records lists a saltwater crocodile caught in Australia as the largest crocodile in captivity, measuring 5.48 metres. Saltwater crocodiles can live for more than 100 years and grow to 7 metres.

Relieved villagers in Bunawan, about 515 miles (830km) south-east of Manila, threw a fiesta to celebrate the capture of the crocodile, which had to be pulled by rope by about 100 people from the creek to a clearing, where a crane lifted it on to a truck.

"It was like a feast, so many villagers turned up," said the mayor, Edwin Cox Elorde.

The wildlife official Ronnie Sumiller, who has hunted "nuisance crocodiles" for 20 years and led the team behind the capture in Bunawan, said a search was under way for a larger crocodile he and villagers have seen roaming in the farming town's marshy outskirts.

"There is a bigger one and it could be the one creating problems," Sumiller told the Associated Press.

"The villagers were saying 10% of their fear was gone because of the first capture," Sumiller said. "But there is still the other 90% to take care of."

Backed by five village hunters he has trained, Sumiller has set 20 steel cable traps with an animal carcass as bait along the creek where the first crocodile was caught and in a nearby vast marshland.

Sumiller said he had found no human remains when he induced the captured crocodile to vomit.

He said he had also been summoned by Bunawan officials two years ago after a huge crocodile attacked and ate a child from a capsized boat in the marshland. The crocodile was not found at the time.

Elorde said he planned to make the captured crocodile "the biggest star" in an ecotourism park to be built to increase villagers' and tourists' awareness of the vital role the dreaded reptiles play in the ecosystem.

Philippine laws strictly prohibit civilians from killing endangered crocodiles, with violators facing up to 12 years in prison and a fine of 1m pesos (£14,700).

The world's most endangered freshwater variety, the crocodylus mindorensis, is found only in the Philippines, where about 250 are known to be in the wild.

About 1,000 of the larger saltwater type, or crocodylus porosus – like the one captured in Bunawan – are scattered mostly in the country's southern swamplands, the wildlife official Glen Rebong said.

The environment secretary, Ramon Paje, said the enormous crocodile was captured because it was a threat to the community but added that the reptiles were a reminder that the country's remaining rich habitats needed to be constantly protected.

Crocodiles have been hunted in the country by poachers hoping to cash in on the high demand in wealthy Asian countries for their skin, which is coveted for products ranging from bags to mobile phone cases.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• That's WAY bigger than our Bearded Dragon.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    crocodiles are such magnificent creatures. i love all lizards that look like little dinosaurs... iguanas especially.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :shock:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • think about all the belts, boots, and fetish clothes that could come out of him! just kiddin.. he looks like a swell fella alright. let him go you animals. ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Put a Saddle on 'em, i'm ready to ride!

and when he goes into his death roll so he can drown you and shove you under a log for later... will you be ready for that???? :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

and when he goes into his death roll so he can drown you and shove you under a log for later... will you be ready for that???? :P

He wouldn't do that to me, we would form an instant pyschilogic bond, becomes one much like
    11023a.jpg
    Alec Ramsey and The Black.

The+Neverending+Story.jpg

Bastion/Atreyu and Falkor

Heman83.jpg

He-Man and Battle Cat

or
    drizztguen.jpg

Drizzt & Guenhwyvar

He wouldn't do that to me, we would form an instant pyschilogic bond, becomes one much like
    11023a.jpg

Heman83.jpg

He-Man and Battle Cat

or
    drizztguen.jpg

Drizzt & Guenhwyvar

aha. :eh:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    whaa??? Now how do YOU know his parents weren't married???
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me

so... you reckon this is where the band got their name from?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Lizard wrote:
    whaa??? Now how do YOU know his parents weren't married???

hed be lucky to even know who his dad was.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

i would imagine, i've never heard used anywhere else.
  • The+Neverending+Story.jpg

i would imagine, i've never heard used anywhere else.
    Somehow I get the feeling you don't read much I will have to research the actual author but the story of the Purple buffalo hunter is a famous children's story..one of the ONLY characters in that movie that was for real.. in the sense that there is actually a book written about this kid and his horse hunting Purple buffalo. And YES the band has admitted that the never ending story is where the name came from. :-)
  • Put a Saddle on 'em, i'm ready to ride!

11023a.jpg

Heman83.jpg

He-Man and Battle Cat

or
    drizztguen.jpg

Drizzt & Guenhwyvar
    Now for you.. First off there was no INSTANT Psychological bond between Alec and The Black..he had to earn his trust by being stuck with the horse on an island for several weeks before they actually bonded..As for the others I have no fucking clue.. He-man always struck me as a gay-boy. and never even heard of the other two cartoon characters. and Bastien and Falkor.. well.... who would'nt love a luck dragon of their very own!?!? and the Crocodile idea.. you should go read the stupid ass criminals thread.. you might get the idea. :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,687
    :shock: That is one massive croc..wow
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Pffffft.....I see crocs that size all the bloody time!!

8-)
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • I can't help feeling sorry for the poor beast :(
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I can't help feeling sorry for the poor beast :(

Yeah, I bet he's just misunderstood. :)

I bet he craves nothing more than a big soppy cuddle...maybe even a lullaby. :P
    Now for you.. First off there was no INSTANT Psychological bond between Alec and The Black..he had to earn his trust by being stuck with the horse on an island for several weeks before they actually bonded..As for the others I have no fucking clue.. He-man always struck me as a gay-boy. and never even heard of the other two cartoon characters. and Bastien and Falkor.. well.... who would'nt love a luck dragon of their very own!?!? and the Crocodile idea.. you should go read the stupid ass criminals thread.. you might get the idea. :shock: :shock: :shock:

On the ship in the begining, they make eye contact, later Alec pockets some sugar cubes and gets caught sneaking them to The Black, Alec gets threatened by the man wearing the Fez(the man who originaly stole The Black as we find out in The Black Stallion Returns), when the ship is sinking Alec grabs onto The Black which saves him from drowning, ::we cut to the beach in the morning:::, but we can surmize that The Black swam them both to shore. I have scene part 1 & 2 well over a hundred times each, i know what i'm talking about, thank you.

He-man is Very Gay, that is universally accepted, They need superhero's too. Other than Robin.

The last characters are Drizzt and Guenhwyvar from Robert A Salvatore Forgotten Realms books, he has written over 20, over the last 20 years, most of which have made the New York Times best seller list. They are Awesome, everyone should check them out.

http://www.rasalvatore.com/bookstore/#R ... election=6
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    I can't help feeling sorry for the poor beast :(

Yeah, I bet he's just misunderstood. :)

I bet he craves nothing more than a big soppy cuddle...maybe even a lullaby. :P

Y'see? Byrnzie understands! :lol:;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Now for you.. First off there was no INSTANT Psychological bond between Alec and The Black..he had to earn his trust by being stuck with the horse on an island for several weeks before they actually bonded..As for the others I have no fucking clue.. He-man always struck me as a gay-boy. and never even heard of the other two cartoon characters. and Bastien and Falkor.. well.... who would'nt love a luck dragon of their very own!?!? and the Crocodile idea.. you should go read the stupid ass criminals thread.. you might get the idea. :shock: :shock: :shock:

On the ship in the begining, they make eye contact, later Alec pockets some sugar cubes and gets caught sneaking them to The Black, Alec gets threatened by the man wearing the Fez(the man who originaly stole The Black as we find out in The Black Stallion Returns), when the ship is sinking Alec grabs onto The Black which saves him from drowning, ::we cut to the beach in the morning:::, but we can surmize that The Black swam them both to shore. I have scene part 1 & 2 well over a hundred times each, i know what i'm talking about, thank you.

He-man is Very Gay, that is universally accepted, They need superhero's too. Other than Robin.

The last characters are Drizzt and Guenhwyvar from Robert A Salvatore Forgotten Realms books, he has written over 20, over the last 20 years, most of which have made the New York Times best seller list. They are Awesome, everyone should check them out.

http://www.rasalvatore.com/bookstore/#R ... election=6
    Calm down my friend, somehow I knew the movies would come up ( as a lone source of point).. did you know that there are well over 27 books in the BS series by Walter Farley?? I have them all, they start getting really cheesey and overdone right about book number fifteen but then pick back up again after like book twenty. Anyhow the point was simply MISSED in the movie.. in the books it explains how the bond was actually formed.. and that was that they were both lonley on that island, and resorted to one another'
    s company, however this doesn't happen for several weeks. P.S. if you're going to read any of the books, I suggest.. Of course the first two, then ( and these are out of order but really good) The Son of the Black Stallion ( which in my opinion, I think they should have gone ahead and made a movie out of this.. even though it is oddly down the line--meaning there's a few books in between the Return of the Black Stallion and this one-- and I don't know if the audience could handle what happens to The Black in the book or if they would just leave that part out and let you assume he's still alive), Black Minx, ( whom is his daughter) and The Black Stallion and the Ghost Stallion. those so far are my faves and always have been.. my nephew is in the process of reading all of them and each week he comes and asks me for the next one.. it's great to see kids read these days..P.S. did you know that The books were PLANNED?!!? As in.. he didn't write the first and then think ok that went over well, I'll write another.. He seriously set out to write a series.. it was his game plan from the get go after several other books he had written, he began writing in College.. did not go over so well, though they did after the newer Horse loving audience got ahold of the first book. Always thought that was interesting.
    :oops: No i never read any of the books, but after reading what you wrote, now i want to!
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    edited September 2011
    :oops: No i never read any of the books, but after reading what you wrote, now i want to!
    They are great.. google Walter Farley..And just so ya don't get all worried The Son of The Black Stallio is quite far down the line in the series.. though he end up carrying out the last of the series.. and you'l LOVE what they name him!!
    Post edited by whispering hands on
    They are great.. google Walter Farley..

i will, thanks.
  • ok let me post some corrections.. (I had to go dig out the collection, cause what I'd posted didn't seem right) First off I gave the name of a horse instead of the name of the book.. Black Minx is the main horse character in The Black Stallion's Filly, Second, The Son of The Black Stallion is not the one with the horrible fight in it.. that's The Black Stallion and Satan, and Walter Farley wrote the original BS book at 16!! Whew ok that's better!! I hate giving out wrong info..