Options

I have a question about a live Pearl Jam show.

edited October 2008 in The Porch
I believe it was from the early 90s, possibly 93 from Florida and it's I believe the famous "shoe the shoeless" show. In listening to a boot of the show, Eddie made it seem like he was really pissed w/how the crowd was behaving the whole show, even before the shoes being tossed. It's like he kept asking them to behave and enjoy the show and the crowd apparently weren't. Why were the crowd such jackasses at this show? I admit, the visual on youtube with the shoes flying is quite the spectacle to see, but the audio of the show clearly makes it that Ed was frustrated with them throughout. Was anyone there or does anyone know why the crowd was so shitty? Just curious.
model role model
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    11/05/93 - Empire Polo Fields: Indio, CA [100m]
    attendance: 25,000
    support act: Weapon of Choice, Eleven and American Music Club
    soundcheck: Wash, Alone, Yellow Ledbetter
    set: Release, Go, Animal, Why Go, Deep, Jeremy, Glorified G, Daughter/Improv (It's Time to Realign Your Body with Your Mind), Alive, Rearviewmirror, Improv (Thank You), Blood, Rats, Once, Porch/(Tearing), Fuck Me in the Brain
    enc: Sonic Reducer, Even Flow, Indifference, Baba O'Riley
    notes: This show, originally planned for the LA area, was problematic with respect to parking and cold temperatures. The unruly crowd was moshing in line during the soundcheck and to PA music! Before PJ started, a roadie sang a hysterical rendition of 'Copa Cabana.' The audience is launching shoes at the stage even before and during the opening acts. In fact, during Eleven's set, a shoe hits Jack Iron's bass drum, he stops the song and says that if he finds out who threw it he would make him pay for the damages (quite pissed). Finally, PJ hits the stage, with the audience behaving outrageously. Prior to 'Deep,' Ed remarks, "Kill your local rapist, but torture him first, then serve him to your enemy for dinner." Later: "The first guy I met today gave me this book and asked if I wanted to know the secret for living forever." Tossing it into the crowd, he says, "Why the fuck would I want to live forever?" During 'Porch,' Ed invites the audience to spit at him. The agitated crowd, continuing to throw stuff onto the stage, leads Ed to comment that "... me and Jeff are going to the front gate and when you exit, we are going to beat the shit out of every barefoot person here" and "... throw a gun so I can shoot you." The band eventually plays from behind their amps so they won't be hit by the flying shoes. This audience was awful. The recording of 'Blood' from this show is released on the 'Daughter' single. 'Fuck Me in the Brain' was released later on the third fan club single (as 'Ramblings'). The guys deserve a medal for playing this long and this well despite the rowdy crowd.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    http://pearljam.com/tour/setlist.php?date=199311050000

I'm pretty sure its this show. 11/5/93 Indio California.

Don't know the whole story, but I'm pretty sure that's the show.

Edit: Looks like someone beat me to it.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    But why was the crowd so insane? Was everyone on drugs?
    model role model
  • Options
    shoes, shoes for my friendss :D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,526
    shoes, shoes for my friendss :D

I'm just like you. We're just like you.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    But why was the crowd so insane? Was everyone on drugs?

my guesses:

1)it was an all ages show, lots of youngster and hellions.

2) there were 3 bands other than pearl jam, so perhaps they were not all loyal PJ fans.

3) it was a friday night, no school the next day, everyone was out to get fucked up.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    this rules by the way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOzCn7hEtrs

the security guards on the left at around 2:00 are hating their jobs right about then i bet....just getting pelted.

for chronology of events, Right After Fuck Me In The Brain, this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd9iOpMSOns
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,196
    3) it was a friday night, no school the next day, everyone was out to get fucked up.

crazy kids!
  • Options
    this rules by the way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOzCn7hEtrs

the security guards on the left at around 2:00 are hating their jobs right about then i bet....just getting pelted.

for chronology of events, Right After Fuck Me In The Brain, this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd9iOpMSOns

I saw this posted on Youtube in the comments section. I mean, did they really build a wall? Never heard that one. Anyone there live back in 93 that are on the boards today? Sounds like an EPIC show for a variety of reasons and I'd love to hear from someone who was there live.

"was at the show...it was the crowd being an idiot that prompted the events. I was laughing my ass off when they built the wall and continued to play. Then he waved the white flag and they tore down the wall and did by far the best live version of indifference that I have ever seen them do.

We missed all the opening bands. It was on tiny road in and out of the venue. We were close and heard the first song start of PJ we literally bailed out of the car and ran the rest of the way."
    model role model
  • Options
    another comment from Youtube:

To set the record straight on the mayhem that night I was 15 feet from of Eddie during this speech with one shoe on. It was about the 5th show into the Vs. tour and PJ furor was at its peak. The crowd was insane with PJ thirst. 5 hours of bad warm up bands the crowd was on its 3rd wind. You were either sweating to death or freezing. When PJ hit the stage it was like being stuck in the 5th circle of hell. It was the greatest show of my life. I saw a 10 year kid getting passed around the pit.
    model role model
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I doubt you'd see that anymore at a PJ show.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    I just would like to see someone on this board who is a hardcore, knowledgeable fan to describe the night in hindsight, since it was 15 years ago and they can tell what it would be like there live. Sounds like an Epic show.
    model role model
  • Options
    PJPantsPJPants Posts: 76
    I was there...it was my first PJ show, my first show period, and I was 16. Just a little of what I remember: Traffic getting into the polo ground was horrific, there was only one way in. This pissed a lot of people off as 10,000+ people were having to deal with that mess. It was also a general admission show and a lot of people were getting smashed in the parking lot. I remember walking through the parking lot and seeing an incredible amount of empty cans/bottles all over the parking area. Seemed like a pretty cool scene for a 16 year old...

Once inside, we pushed our way through the crowd to maybe 40 people deep from the stage. I remember thinking there was a lot of anger and frustration in the crowd from the whole situation - the traffic, the cold, the opening bands sucking, the alcohol wearing off, and all the pushing and shoving that was going on. It was an unreal feeling that I've haven't felt or seen since. I thought it was a normal deal that happens at every show...

One thing I'll never forget is how loud and deep Jeff's bass was. You could feel the bass deep inside your stomach, and I think it almost had this primal effect on people. When they played Go, then Animal after opening with Release, we got the fuck out of where we were because it was so crazy. People just went nuts, and we felt like we were going to get trampled by everyone pushing forward from behind us. Looking back, and after going to quite a few other PJ shows and also a few RATM shows, nothing has ever compared to the total recklessness and anger the crowd had that night (even at a RATM show).

The band, and especially Eddie, took a situation that could've been real bad and turned it into something positive and funny as we've all seen on the youtube clips. I remember being really pissed off at the morons throwing shoes because you could feel the frustration in Eddie and the band. They wanted to get the fuck out there immediately. To their credit, they stuck around for a few songs and actually played an awesome version of Indifference, probably because they felt that exact emotion towards the crowd. I'll never the feeling of Jeff's bass in those few opening notes, and I'll never forget Eddie turning his back on the crowd and singing it, basically telling all of us to fuck off, both with the lyrics and his actions. From there on out, I was a PJ fan, and they've gotten better with age...

Sorry for the long post, got carried away a little.
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I was there. I was 23 years old and it was incredible. It was a strange venue to begin with so just getting in was pretty disorderly. The things that happened that night, under that sky in the desert, changed my life forever.
    Wow, I still can't believe I experienced that night. We got to Indio (desert part of Cali) early in the day and it was quite warm. By nightfall it was cold.
    I purchased the coolest Pearl Jam Thermal and wore that thing until it was just shreds of string........wow, I need to sit and really reflect on this night.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    PJPants wrote:
    I was there...it was my first PJ show, my first show period, and I was 16. Just a little of what I remember: Traffic getting into the polo ground was horrific, there was only one way in. This pissed a lot of people off as 10,000+ people were having to deal with that mess. It was also a general admission show and a lot of people were getting smashed in the parking lot. I remember walking through the parking lot and seeing an incredible amount of empty cans/bottles all over the parking area. Seemed like a pretty cool scene for a 16 year old...

Once inside, we pushed our way through the crowd to maybe 40 people deep from the stage. I remember thinking there was a lot of anger and frustration in the crowd from the whole situation - the traffic, the cold, the opening bands sucking, the alcohol wearing off, and all the pushing and shoving that was going on. It was an unreal feeling that I've haven't felt or seen since. I thought it was a normal deal that happens at every show...

One thing I'll never forget is how loud and deep Jeff's bass was. You could feel the bass deep inside your stomach, and I think it almost had this primal effect on people. When they played Go, then Animal after opening with Release, we got the fuck out of where we were because it was so crazy. People just went nuts, and we felt like we were going to get trampled by everyone pushing forward from behind us. Looking back, and after going to quite a few other PJ shows and also a few RATM shows, nothing has ever compared to the total recklessness and anger the crowd had that night (even at a RATM show).

The band, and especially Eddie, took a situation that could've been real bad and turned it into something positive and funny as we've all seen on the youtube clips. I remember being really pissed off at the morons throwing shoes because you could feel the frustration in Eddie and the band. They wanted to get the fuck out there immediately. To their credit, they stuck around for a few songs and actually played an awesome version of Indifference, probably because they felt that exact emotion towards the crowd. I'll never the feeling of Jeff's bass in those few opening notes, and I'll never forget Eddie turning his back on the crowd and singing it, basically telling all of us to fuck off, both with the lyrics and his actions. From there on out, I was a PJ fan, and they've gotten better with age...

Sorry for the long post, got carried away a little.

Awesome post, you're bringing so much back to me from that night. To say the least, the people trying to get into the Venue was insanity. Then, leaving?? Holy cow, it was like the wholel little town had been overtaken by Hungover rowdy Pearl Jam fans.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    I just would like to see someone on this board who is a hardcore, knowledgeable fan to describe the night in hindsight, since it was 15 years ago and they can tell what it would be like there live. Sounds like an Epic show.

This was my first PJ show. I'll do my best to describe the mayhem. The San Diego show sold out and there was no chance of getting tickets. So, I checked the newspaper. Found tickets for the Indio show which I had no idea existed. With the tickets I got the VS CD.

At the time this show was the equivalent of what would be the Los Angeles show. There was no Los Angeles gig. Indio is near Palm Springs where they hold Coachella each year. I have no idea how many people were there, but it was packed.

It takes roughly two hours to get there from San Diego and maybe 90 minutes to get there from L.A. THere is a two lane road going to this location from the freeway to the city streets. I know I was extremely stressed trying to get there on time. Me and my crew left at I think 3pm and we did not arrive in the venue till right before PJ was going to go onstage. I managed to get maybe 50 ft from the stage.

"Release" opened the show which was amazing for me personally. That was the only time I have seen that song live. It has to be one of my all time fave PJ songs. I imagine the show would have been longer had the crowd not been full of assholes. Remember, '93 was at the peak of what was called "grunge". Alot of these people that were there were there because it was the trend; go to a show get wasted and mosh. These were the same people that didn't realize Pearl Jam were still around in '96 with No Code.

There was sand flying along with shoes, towels, shirts, hats and 10 yr olds...LOL. The crowd was going nuts. I was excited too. The problem was the crowd were not respecting the band. Everything that was flying around the crowd, people were intentionally throwing at the band. So there was the whole community experience because no one was spared the shit being thrown around. Unfortunately, this does not make for a good rock show. Don't get me wrong, the music coming from the stage was awesome. Imagine, this was my first PJ show. All the songs were amazing. I was enjoying the experience the best I could given the circumstances. Yes, the band did play behind their amps so they wouldn't get hit with anything. It was a trip to see because it was like there was no band on stage. It was like the music was coming out of a stereo from the PA.

Finally, once they played "Baba..." I felt like I had arrived. Sadly, this was the last tune of the evening.

It was a rough ride, but definitely worth it
    "Do you think the carpetpissers did this?" - The Dude
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,221
    That was the first time I saw Pearl Jam... I had a copy of 'Ten'... that i bought when I ran out to buy 'Nevermind'... but, I never listened to it (Ten) too much... except when i was doing my laundry or vaccuuming or stuff. I was a total Nirvana Guy.
    Anyway, I got a free ticket in, so... what the hell, right? Free ticket.
    That place was way the hell out there. And it was hot during the day and cold and damp during the night. And dust and dirt. So, you'd get sweaty and the dirt would stick to you and you felt like sand papar... then, it got cold at night.
    But, the worst part... the People. This was the Early 90s and we just had a war and an earthquake and a riot and there were the remnants of the Sunset Strip Motley Crue crowd there... along with the Orange County Surf Nazis and the East L.A. Cholo gang culos and the thrash metal headbanging vomit crowd and the psycho hippie burnouts and the frat boy rapists and every other scourge of 1993 there just looking to beat on someone. And remember... Mosh Pits were relatively new to most (except the punk rockers that had been through the pogo to slam dancing thing). That crowd has to go down as one of the worst crowds I have ever seen... except maybe the 'Rage' crowd.
    Still... this band was great. I only knew the hits... and Baba O'Riley... but, it reminded me of the old style rock... except, heavier and more punk rock style. Despite all the assholes that tried to ruin that day... it came off as pretty damn memorable.
    Oh yeah... I ended up taking a gal to first aid because some idiot crowd surfing shithead bash her head with his biker boot and put a 6 in gash on her scalp.
    P.S.... I got to throw one of my boots at Ed... and hit him... you know.. to show him how grateful I was.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    These are some crazy stories. That must have been quite a show! One of my favorite Ed monologues.
    "Throw up a pair of pants...let's see some balls!"
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    P.S.... I got to throw one of my boots at Ed... and hit him... you know.. to show him how grateful I was.

nice.

wicked stories to read people. must have been a crazy time.
  • Options
    guys, these are some great stories. Thank you. I just listened to the CD boot a little while ago. You can hear Ed pleading with the crowd saying he'd like to play another song but couldn't figure out why the crowd was misbehaving. It was like "what gives?" For those of you attending your first show here, I'm sure the memories are burned into your brain forever. And for those there that have more stories to share, please do by all means. It really was an epic show and a cult classic on Youtube.
    model role model